Management Bill Guerin

How is Guerin Doing?

• Total voters

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I am a bit puzzled that Guerin didn't want to keep Duhaime because of his size and toughness. Surely Duhaime is delusional if he thinks that he is going to get more than 2M/yr, on his next contract? I sure don't see anyone in Iowa who plays a similar game. Is the plan to get a 4th line grit guy in FA for less than the 1.5-2M that Duhaime will probably get?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I am a bit puzzled that Guerin didn't want to keep Duhaime because of his size and toughness. Surely Duhaime is delusional if he thinks that he is going to get more than 2M/yr, on his next contract? I sure don't see anyone in Iowa who plays a similar game. Is the plan to get a 4th line grit guy in FA for less than the 1.5-2M that Duhaime will probably get?

GMBG will just trade a late round pick for one next year (Reaves, Maroon) early in the season.

$1.5-$2m is too much for a 4th liner. I like Duhaime, but he's a less than $1m/year player. He's big, and that's the only reason he's in the NHL. If he was 5'10" he'd be an AHL 3rd liner. If Walker had Duhaime's size he'd be a in the NHL top-6 now.

This 1 year deal he's currently on is a prove it deal after his injury problems last year. He's done nothing to say he's worth more than what he's currently making. He was on the PK, but not good at it. He'll drop the gloves and try and be a face puncher, but isn't good at it. He has speed, but not the puck skills to take advantage of it.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I think Duhaime is gone because he was the most trade-able guy on the roster, and the Wild wanted to open up a spot or two for prospects to make the team next year. Best to get something like a pick back, rather than nothing, which is what they'd have gotten this summer for the UFA Duhaime.

I believe Guerin wanting size and toughness is overblown on these boards. He re-signed Zuccarello, after all. He traded Duhaime, in part, to make room for 5'9" Khusnutdinov. Guerin may like size, may even love size (most GMs do), but he's not chained to it.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I think Duhaime is gone because he was the most trade-able guy on the roster, and the Wild wanted to open up a spot or two for prospects to make the team next year. Best to get something like a pick back, rather than nothing, which is what they'd have gotten this summer for the UFA Duhaime.

I believe Guerin wanting size and toughness is overblown on these boards. He re-signed Zuccarello, after all. He traded Duhaime, in part, to make room for 5'9" Khusnutdinov. Guerin may like size, may even love size (most GMs do), but he's not chained to it.

He drafted Rossi and Marat K with his first ever draft picks. Re-signed Spurgeon (gave him the "C") and Zucc. Signed Petan. Traded for Addison, Butcher, and Jost. So he doesn't have a "must be this tall to ride this ride" in front of the lockerroom.

Reactions: BagHead

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
His incessant need to have a Reaves or Deslauriers type of player playing on the 4th line typically killed any offensive potential that line could’ve had.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
His incessant need to have a Reaves or Deslauriers type of player playing on the 4th line typically killed any offensive potential that line could’ve had.

I just expect a 4th line that chips in a point every 3-5 games and plays even hockey.

5v5 Reaves was at a 1.6 p/60 pace last year; that is the same pace as Boldy. The oIGF/60 was also similar at 2.1 and 2.2 respectively. He's nowhere near the black hole Rossi (last year), Koivu (his last season in MN), and Freddy G (this year) have been.

D-lo is a no o-zone skill player, for sure, but a fine as a Playoff grit add GMs make.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Well, the season is pretty much over with and there are a LOT of questionable things I think we can talk about with Guerin this season including the two investigations. I gotta wonder what Leipold is thinking as he's on the hook for at least two coaches (Evason and Hynes) and this lackluster performance.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Well, the season is pretty much over with and there are a LOT of questionable things I think we can talk about with Guerin this season including the two investigations. I gotta wonder what Leipold is thinking as he's on the hook for at least two coaches (Evason and Hynes) and this lackluster performance.

IMO, Leipold knew that, because of the buy-outs, that the team would struggle to compete during this stretch....I think where BG will be graded by Leipold is how they emerge from the dead cap hits.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
IMO, Leipold knew that, because of the buy-outs, that the team would struggle to compete during this stretch....I think where BG will be graded by Leipold is how they emerge from the dead cap hits.
Leipold also hired Guerin to get to the playoffs. As well, the AHL team is a mess (again they need to fire everyone) and they have over committed to a bunch of old guys that can't seem to stay on the ice.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Leipold also hired Guerin to get to the playoffs. As well, the AHL team is a mess (again they need to fire everyone) and they have over committed to a bunch of old guys that can't seem to stay on the ice.

All true, but I still don't believe that BGs job will be in jeopardy until 1-2 years after the dead cap hits fall off the books.

Reactions: BagHead

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Surely safe for next season, but if prospects like Stramel continue to flatline (a first round stretch is a big bet, no matter what happens the rest of the class) and the team misses the playoffs again, I think Leipold gets twitchy again. I guess I wouldn't want to be the one who gets face to face with Billy to fire him though.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
we all knew the buyouts were going to be a challenge. last summer i wasn't happy with billy at all. i'll give him credit for not trading the future at the deadline just to save his job. hes on thin ice with me. iowa fans should be upset they don't have a better team.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
BG probably has a t least two more years, unless there is another work place incident or two similar to the Heidt one.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
If he has another season like this season, I can see Leipold pulling the trigger.

Next season will probably look a lot like this season, and I think Leipold is prepared for that. Let's face it, not having that $14+ million to spend would be a tough nut to crack for any franchise. I'm not excusing the other BG moves, but I don't see him being on the hot seat...at least not until 2-3 years from now.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Next season will probably look a lot like this season, and I think Leipold is prepared for that. Let's face it, not having that $14+ million to spend would be a tough nut to crack for any franchise. I'm not excusing the other BG moves, but I don't see him being on the hot seat...at least not until 2-3 years from now.
Honestly, after experiencing the shit show that was the end of the Risebrough period and the shit show that was the end of the Fletcher period, I don't want to go through that again with Guerin. He's already showed his cards this season and getting another GM to clean up Guerin's messes (Foligno, Hartman, Iowa) is going to take a bit of time to fix. Getting them in now instead of after Guerin has firmly screwed this team might not be a bad thing. See Fletcher and Risebrough.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
He's probably tied to Kaprizov's decision. Needed to build a team that Kaprizov would want to be a part of, and not take less money to play elsewhere. If he bolts, probably best for a fresh start. Zuccarello off the books, Foligno, Spurgeon and Hartman I believe with minimal trade protection. Brodin too I think.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
If Kaprizov leaves I would hope they see it as an opportunity to do a proper rebuild. Doubt it, but I can hope.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

I am on the opposite end of this. The buyouts were done so that the team could make the Playoffs every year. If the team was going to be missing the Playoffs then there is no reason not to just tide out those contracts and not have the extra 4 years of dead cap at the end of their contracts.

This year and next cost the team more in cap just to fill those 2 roster spots than it would have cost to keep the players. Last year MN had a ton of unused cap space. The first season there was enough space to just have kept them too (maybe Rask would need to have been dumped?). Goli for Suter (dead cap) was basically a 1 for 1 trade as a cap hit.

Reactions: thestonedkoala

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If Kaprizov leaves I would hope they see it as an opportunity to do a proper rebuild. Doubt it, but I can hope.

I think this is a Leipold thing, so I don't think we're going to see a proper rebuild until he leaves. Plus I think they'll probably look at Boldy, Ek, Rossi, Wallstedt, Yurov, etc and say we don't need a rebuild, and we'll get to re-live the last decade+ again with a lot of good but not great depth and no true superstar players. It's a vicious cycle.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I think this is a Leipold thing, so I don't think we're going to see a proper rebuild until he leaves. Plus I think they'll probably look at Boldy, Ek, Rossi, Wallstedt, Yurov, etc and say we don't need a rebuild, and we'll get to re-live the last decade+ again with a lot of good but not great depth and no true superstar players. It's a vicious cycle.
Would consider trading teams.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Even without Kap they have enough of a team that a rebuild is out of the question unless none of the prospects turn into anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad