Management Bill Guerin

How is Guerin Doing?

• Total voters

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Some more than others. It’s awfully convenient for the curmudgeons to blame Guerin for the one glaringly bad pick while lauding Brackett for the good ones
It just seems a little more likely than Brackett pivoting that much from the players he's previously taken.

But, then again, he had Ohgren ranked 10th and it's not like he's a lot flash and dash.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Both Chisholm and Faber feel like steals at this point.
Same with Middleton. This franchise has a way with finding D for whatever reason. If we get a renaissance season from Spurgeon next year, we could be in business.

north21

May 1, 2014
MN
Same with Middleton. This franchise has a way with finding D for whatever reason. If we get a renaissance season from Spurgeon next year, we could be in business.

Year off might have been good for him, wouldn't mind one more high end D to push him down a slot if we are going to compete but that doesn't happen until our cap opens up.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
It just seems a little more likely than Brackett pivoting that much from the players he's previously taken.

But, then again, he had Ohgren ranked 10th and it's not like he's a lot flash and dash.
To be fair, Brackett said he wanted 2 players specifically with our 2 picks, and chose them in the order he thought he could get them both... saying he knew we could get the player he liked better later... that aspect worked out.

A lot of us weren't happy with the Ohgren pick initially, but the moment Yurov was selected, most of us also felt the two picks made a ton of sense and felt much happier about getting Ohgren in the 2 pick combo.

But yes...Stramel is nothing like anything Brackett looks for in the first round historically... and there were Brackett type players available.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
Rather than a deadline trading expiring, below standard contributors in Hartman and Foligno, Guerin signs them with movement protection and trades young, fourth line role players for low percentage draft picks. I'd love a fourth line of Sturm, Duhaime, and Dewar.

Guerin seems to keep compounding his mistakes. With his current managerial resume, I wouldn't want him at the helm of a junior team.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Gaudreau's decline is downright scary.

Foligno's seems to be injury based, which is what you get when you play his style of game into your 30's.

I thought Hartman was having a down season, but he is actually having a near identical one to last year's, so far, and will end up surpassing it, as he has been healthier this year. The big difference with him is that his penalties are way down...probably because he isn't fighting as much.

Zucc, for all the complaints, has been more than fine considering his cap hit, and will be playing at only 4M for the next two years. Hard to argue with that with a PPG player.

I hate watching Merrill, but he is only being paid 1.2M.

Thank God the Goligoski deal is done soon.

Really, the main worry is Spurgeon. That 7.5M cap hit for the next three years is gonna hurt.

I am somewhat philosophical about the cap at this point, as I don't think that we will be competitive next year, or at least, don't think that we will be a Cup contender. We will be treading water, and won't have $$ for any FA's of note.

Wonderful Tacos

Nov 29, 2023
Same with Middleton. This franchise has a way with finding D for whatever reason.

And before that he got Ian Cole (cap retained!) for Greg Pateryn

And the Fiala deal which has a really good chance to be the best trade in franchise history no matter how much fiala stans cry

And marat khusnutdinov for luke kunin (jury still out but looks good)

nick bjugstad for a 7th round pick

trading a 5th to move up in the 3rd to get daemon hunt (jury still out but looks good)

trading a 3rd to move up in the first to get wallstedt (jury is out but looks good)

signing kulikov - not amazing but he was useful for cheap and had a good year for the wild

similarly no one loves merrill but you cant really get more value than that for a 1MM FA defenseman

middleton for kahkonnen

fleury for a 2nd has been pretty good value

gustavsson for talbot has been pretty good value

johansson for a 3rd pretty fair value

greenway for a 2nd a 5th great value

I'm not saying i agree with every move and theres been decisions I havent liked but Billy has a long history of good moves that easily outweighs the bad for me.

Honestly, which GM in the Wild's history did better than Guerin is doing now? Do you guys not remember what was here before - old core that was aging out, boring, even less competitive than now and no prospect pool behind it? Oh, I know - its a false dichotomy bc just like with Hynes people will claim they wouldve hired some guy (probably no one can even come up with plausible name) probably from some NCAA team or where-ever that wouldve been the next Jon Cooper.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Spurgeon returning to form would be a massive boost. He may be pushing 35, but his game is about positioning, stick-work and intelligence so I expect him to age well if his body holds up. He’s certainly been worth the 7.5 in the past and 35 isn’t the magic number it was even a decade ago. Lots of guys still playing at a high-level around that age. A bounce back year from him and Gus should have us back in the mix next year.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
And before that he got Ian Cole (cap retained!) for Greg Pateryn

And the Fiala deal which has a really good chance to be the best trade in franchise history no matter how much fiala stans cry

And marat khusnutdinov for luke kunin (jury still out but looks good)

nick bjugstad for a 7th round pick

trading a 5th to move up in the 3rd to get daemon hunt (jury still out but looks good)

trading a 3rd to move up in the first to get wallstedt (jury is out but looks good)

signing kulikov - not amazing but he was useful for cheap and had a good year for the wild

similarly no one loves merrill but you cant really get more value than that for a 1MM FA defenseman

middleton for kahkonnen

fleury for a 2nd has been pretty good value

gustavsson for talbot has been pretty good value

johansson for a 3rd pretty fair value

greenway for a 2nd a 5th great value

I'm not saying i agree with every move and theres been decisions I havent liked but Billy has a long history of good moves that easily outweighs the bad for me.

Honestly, which GM in the Wild's history did better than Guerin is doing now? Do you guys not remember what was here before - old core that was aging out, boring, even less competitive than now and no prospect pool behind it? Oh, I know - its a false dichotomy bc just like with Hynes people will claim they wouldve hired some guy (probably no one can even come up with plausible name) probably from some NCAA team or where-ever that wouldve been the next Jon Cooper.

It’s this type of homerism and blind loyalty that gets us what we got. I mean how could you have Bjugstad for a 7th as some type of positive while he was largely replaced by a more expensive Gudreau? Everyone here would pay to have Bjugstad in this lineup over whatever Freddy has become.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
It’s this type of homerism and blind loyalty that gets us what we got. I mean how could you have Bjugstad for a 7th as some type of positive while he was largely replaced by a more expensive Gudreau? Everyone here would pay to have Bjugstad in this lineup over whatever Freddy has become.
Because trading FOR Bjugstad using a 7th was a good deal.

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
And what did we get back for him?
Nothing?

Or this:

The Wild scratched Bjugstad during the 2022 playoffs and eventually let him walk to free agency where he signed with Arizona.

Last edited:

Wonderful Tacos

Nov 29, 2023
I think he's been fine. Looking through his trades, I don't think he's "lost" a single one of them. Most of them have resulted in the player we acquire doing better than the player we sent out. The Kunin trade is pretty dependent on how Khusnutdinov does.

As for signings, the Spurgeon contract was an obvious L and it was when he first got here. I like the Eriksson Ek contract. Fiala bridge was an excellent deal. I'm fine with the Brodin deal. Foligno is an okay contract. Talbot was an obvious W.

In regards to the Parise/Suter buyouts, I guess I'm okay with it. Not like we really had a choice in dealing with those cap hits and they would have been extremely hard to trade. Saves a bit of cap hit and we did not have to protect them.

I think there is a lot of hostility towards his avoidance to improve the top 6, specifically the center position. That's pretty much my reasoning for putting him in the 3 category instead of the 4 category. If he thinks Eriksson Ek can be a 2nd line center then that's great. We still need to find someone to play 1C and 3C/4C. I would not go into next season with the assumption that Rossi is going to be an impact center. If he is, that is fantastic! Just don't assume he will and not have a backup plan. I'd love for him to trade for Reinhart and play him at center. Some of you will kick and scream at that, but I think once you get him away from Buffalo he will shine.
Id love reinhart for where this tean is but for the cap troubs that probably preclude it.

The team thatd id really like for reinhart, if fla lets him go to market, is ottawa. If ottawa could move out norris, even for a poor return, and get reinhart i think it would finally turn them around

Edit: oh i just replied to an ancient AF comment lol. Imma leave it. On my phone at work smh

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
no way stramel ranked in the 40's (at best) gets picked without approval from the gm. he was a project power forward aka just like guerin. not a chance he was bpa on judds list. common sense if nothing else. i hope guerin didn't make a couple roster spots available so this summer he could add more aging vets to long term contracts with ntc. im in favor of after next season buyouts for freddy g & mojo.

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
Ok , so we could have had Bjug for an hometown deal and we chose to let him go to sign Freddy for 2.1. Great GM work
If the amount of gymnastics you’re doing, you should try out for the Olympic team.

Guess what. They’re both making the same amount of money. So there’s no hometown deal there.

Reactions: Wonderful Tacos

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Same with trading peanuts for Gus & Middleton. And acquiring Faber. And drafting Yurov, Wallstedt & Rossi. And the Boldy & JEE contracts looks terrific.

Even the extensions, unnecessary & premature as they were, look better now that we are scrambling to find any Top 9 bodies.

If he can hold off on the term to veterans (Spurgeon, Zucc, Foligno) and learn to make a decent 2nd round pick (9 in last 4 years and no NHLers yet) we might turn out ok in the long-run.

He’s not a terrible GM in my eyes but I can’t stand how arrogant & vindictive he is.
I think Faber was all Brackett

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I've lost the plot line in this. Why are we talking about Bjugstad?

If he was still here there would just be complaining that he's taking ice time away from Rossi as a middle 6 center.

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
I've lost the plot line in this. Why are we talking about Bjugstad?

If he was still here there would just be complaining that he's taking ice time away from Rossi as a middle 6 center.
First, it was BG was stupid for trading Bjugstad for Gaudreau.
But since that never happened, the goal posts moved to...
We're paying Gaudreau more than Bjugstad.
Since that wasn't true, the goal posts moved again to...
Bjugstad would have taken a discount to play here

Reactions: Wonderful Tacos

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
no way stramel ranked in the 40's (at best) gets picked without approval from the gm. he was a project power forward aka just like guerin. not a chance he was bpa on judds list. common sense if nothing else. i hope guerin didn't make a couple roster spots available so this summer he could add more aging vets to long term contracts with ntc. im in favor of after next season buyouts for freddy g & mojo.
Do you mean this season? Cause Mojo’s contract is up after next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad