Confirmed with Link: Bill Armstrong is the new GM of the Coyotes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Most surprising to me is that ice is still on. Thought that would be long gone! Save on the ol' electric bills.
They have a youth organization that plays out of the arena. They count the revenue from that as ticket sales. They also have an adult league, but I believe they screwed
that up by furloughing key individuals for that program. Other rinks were getting sign ups and team captains for the arena had to sign up elsewhere, or risk not playing. Cost themselves over fifty thousand dollars with that one. UNLESS anyone knows of any teams that signed on?

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Craig Morgan’s latest article outlines that Bill Armstrong and Peter Laviolette are tight. Lavi gave him his first job as an assistant coach and that was essentially the first stepping stone to where he is now. Would have been nice had we secured Armstrong earlier, maybe we would’ve been able to make a serious pitch for Lavi.

I love the way he got the job as assistant coach, too. He just left a voicemail on Peter‘s phone saying “I’m going to be your new assistant coach, see you when the season starts.” Didn’t hear anything back for a couple weeks until Peter finally responded and said that it worked for him.
Dude just takes charge and gets what he wants.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mosby

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Only thing with Lavi is he's getting 4.9 mil per from the Caps and who knows if ownership is willing to do that. For reference, Toc makes 1.5 mil.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
RT will be given the rope to hang himself. I would be shocked if he learns how to adjust during a game. I would absolutely be thrilled if he did. GMBA said he was a fan of RT as a player which I hear all the time and that I believe is the reason he is getting the benefit of the doubt. Almost everyone is the hockey circles says RT is a good coach, but almost everyone on these boards think otherwise. What are we missing?
He’s got so little grit to coach that maybe it’s akin to Gretzky having so little talent to coach??? IDK, but he did improve after his first season.... only to falter again.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Only thing with Lavi is he's getting 4.9 mil per from the Caps and who knows if ownership is willing to do that. For reference, Toc makes 1.5 mil.

I'd rather that difference be invested in hockey ops TBH. Just not worth it. I'm sure MVR or Nelson would work for even less than Tocchet.

It's telling that Tocchet's meeting comes after hearing from everyone else. It's also telling that BA praised Sullivan and wants him to stay. I don't think he gets fired on the spot but there will be tough questions and basically a "this is what we're going to do" ultimatum that Tocchet can either get with or walk. They'll be delighted to let him out of his contract. A 'mutual parting'.

BA is going to assert himself. If Tocchet is savvy and wants to stay, he'll blame MacLean and the roster, and offer no real resistance to BA's ideas. He'll get a token 1-2 year extension out of that. Also possible his answers are unsatisfactory and he's dumb enough to chafe at reasonable ideas. He's gone if he does.

Friday should be interesting.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Definitely sounds like he is going to be trading some current assets to recoup some draft picks. No surprise there.

He was asked about Darcy Kuemper, and said that he is extremely impressed with him. Said the GM’s can sleep easy knowing that they have a goaltender like that in their system. It’s interesting, he’s either driving up the price to the league (vet move) or he’s letting the fans know to hold their horses in regards to the rumors around him. I’m assuming that whatever the case, it’s going to take a significant package to pull Darcy away.

Yup, he's again stating how important it is to have a real good goalie, that little something better you have than the other team.

Reactions: Surfshop

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
If Tocchet has the team playing the way they’ve been playing (e.g., soft and without a plan in the offensive zone), I don’t think he lasts this season whether or not he gets an extension now. Clearly if we lose the first 10 or 11 games like we did a few years ago Tocchet is gone for a guy like Van Ryn. Love the fact that Armstrong is driving this bus

Reactions: Jakey53

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
If Tocchet has the team playing the way they’ve been playing (e.g., soft and without a plan in the offensive zone), I don’t think he lasts this season whether or not he gets an extension now. Clearly if we lose the first 10 or 11 games like we did a few years ago Tocchet is gone for a guy like Van Ryn. Love the fact that Armstrong is driving this bus

Midseason hires are very limiting. Very likely Housley would take over for the rest of the year.

If you believe Tocchet stumbling out of the gates is likely then it's best to dismiss him now and get a.) the coach you want and b.) a full camp with the new coach.

Colorado hired Bednar late in the game and he was basically unable to implement much until the following season.

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
I’m not worried about Armstrong’s comments RE Tocchet yesterday. What exactly is he supposed to say I’m his first press conference? “Yeah this coach sucks, has no plan, I’m planning on canning him and going in a different direction”?

Armstrong is gonna communicate with tocchet on how he wants the team to play and what team identity fits his vision. If tocchet doesn’t fulfill that or tries to take the team in another direction, he won’t last long. With how messed up chayka apparently made all aspects of our hockey ops, maybe BA is looking to fiddle around and then see what tocchet can do with a more competently put together roster.

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
Two thumbs up so far. Statements like culture shift, second efforts expected, being willing to bleed for the team, are all good. He isn’t oblivious to tocchett’s tolerance of the country club culture.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
With how messed up chayka apparently made all aspects of our hockey ops, maybe BA is looking to fiddle around and then see what tocchet can do with a more competently put together roster.

BA retained 3 of Chayka's closest advisors and praised them by name in his conference.

Problems like the sorry ass play of veterans, not getting Hayton up to speed, not using Garland enough, trading for Kessel etc... are now all on Tocchet. Chayka wanted Zucker but Minny had a high price. They don't make the trade for Kessel unless Tocchet signs off/advocates for it.

Everything stated on record and unstated points to Tocchet getting his wishes with the roster and just... doing nothing with it.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Midseason hires are very limiting. Very likely Housley would take over for the rest of the year.

If you believe Tocchet stumbling out of the gates is likely then it's best to dismiss him now and get a.) the coach you want and b.) a full camp with the new coach.

Colorado hired Bednar late in the game and he was basically unable to implement much until the following season.

So you’re saying either (edit: Varady, originally said MVR by mistake) wouldn’t be available / interested or Armstrong would rather promote a lackluster assistant IF the team is faltering badly enough the head coach is fired? Interesting thought but not sure where you’re getting the Housley succession plan idea from.

Midseason coaching changes happen all the time and work out well enough that personally I’m not too worried about it. Deboer in Vegas did ok this year, Sullivan in Pitt for their most recent back to back cup wins etc. Incidentally Sully was the HC of Wilkes - Barre when he was called up just like (edit Varady) is in Tucson.

Not saying I believe in Tocchet (I don’t), also not saying we’re going to win back to back cups if Tocchet is replaced mid-season. I’m just happy he‘ll have some accountability this year and if he’s replaced mid-season for lack of performance I’ll likely be happy as well. Yes always better to have a full camp but not really realistic for a new GM to immediately fire his coach, can you think of an example where that’s happened? I can’t, but if there is an example would love to hear

Last edited:

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
BA retained 3 of Chayka's closest advisors and praised them by name in his conference.
They've also canned several people and BA says he plans on bringing in more handpicked guys and expects there will be a "culture shock" that's "necessary" and later added, " I think that’s one of the reasons they brought me in, is to make sure things get run properly, things get done properly..., to get someone in here to clean stuff up and make sure this is not only a championship franchise on the ice, but also off."

I don't think naming three people in the franchise as quality people is some ringing endorsement of Chayka and his operation if taken in any context.

Reactions: Surfshop and RemoAZ

technoviking

Whatever's Clever
Aug 14, 2013
Scottsdale
So you’re saying either Van Ryn wouldn’t be available / interested or Armstrong would rather promote a lackluster assistant IF the team is faltering badly enough the head coach is fired? Interesting thought but not sure where you’re getting the Housley succession plan idea from.

Midseason coaching changes happen all the time and work out well enough that personally I’m not too worried about it. Deboer in Vegas did ok this year, Sullivan in Pitt for their most recent back to back cup wins etc. Incidentally Sully was the HC of Wilkes - Barre when he was called up just like MVR is in Tucson.

Not saying I believe in Tocchet (I don’t), also not saying we’re going to win back to back cups if Tocchet is replaced mid-season. I’m just happy he‘ll have some accountability this year and if he’s replaced mid-season for lack of performance I’ll likely be happy as well. Yes always better to have a full camp but not really realistic for a new GM to immediately fire his coach, can you think of an example where that’s happened? I can’t, but if there is an example would love to hear

MVR is an assistant in St Louis. How are you going to hire him off their active staff at midseason? Deboer was sitting at home when Vegas hired him.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
So you’re saying either Van Ryn wouldn’t be available / interested or Armstrong would rather promote a lackluster assistant IF the team is faltering badly enough the head coach is fired?

A midseason hire is generally limited to internal options or coaches that aren't already with a team. DeBoer was able to join Vegas because the Sharks fired him. MVR is an assistant in St Louis, he's not leaving midseason. The interim coach is almost always an assistant or AHL coach that sees out the year and has a chance to keep the job. That would be Housley or whomever is hired to replace MacLean, depending on how titles shake out.

Reactions: technoviking

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
MVR is an assistant in St Louis. How are you going to hire him off their active staff at midseason? Deboer was sitting at home when Vegas hired him.

My bad I meant Jay Varady (current coach in Tucson). My fault for mistyping I had STL on my mind. I’ll edit my post now

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
So you’re saying either Van Ryn wouldn’t be available / interested or Armstrong would rather promote a lackluster assistant IF the team is faltering badly enough the head coach is fired? Interesting thought but not sure where you’re getting the Housley succession plan idea from.

Midseason coaching changes happen all the time and work out well enough that personally I’m not too worried about it. Deboer in Vegas did ok this year, Sullivan in Pitt for their most recent back to back cup wins etc. Incidentally Sully was the HC of Wilkes - Barre when he was called up just like MVR is in Tucson.

Isn't MVR an Asst in St Louis? Can't exactly call him up mid season or even interview him. Pretty sure tgat was xx's point, lack of available options during season.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
They've also canned several people and BA says he plans on bringing in more handpicked guys and expects there will be a "culture shock" that's "necessary" and later added, " I think that’s one of the reasons they brought me in, is to make sure things get run properly, things get done properly..., to get someone in here to clean stuff up and make sure this is not only a championship franchise on the ice, but also off."

I don't think naming three people in the franchise as quality people is some ringing endorsement of Chayka and his operation if taken in any context.

In that radio pod I just posted Armstrong mentioned an old adage he learned from Doug Armstrong in that you "don't throw the baby out with the bath water."

Meaning you don't get rid of valuable people just because they were caught in the middle of something bad. He was using the line in reference to Clayton Keller, who's he's known since he played against his own child. Keller has struggled a bit the last couple of years but Armstrong knows some players take time to develop.

Armstrong sounds like a guy who recognizes potential and is willing to give them some time to realize it.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019

And Tocchet had good stats in the majors oh well.

That seems like a lot of PIMs though, even though it was a different time. Maybe he laces them up and drops the gloves next time our team watches Garland take on four guys by himself after the whistle? wouldn’t that be something :)

Re: other discussion, I meant Varady not MVR (since corrected), absolutely agree in general it’s better to hire a coach during the off-season if possible. However I think in this case it’s not realistic — when was the last time a first-time GM (or any incoming GM) immediately fired his head coach? It must have happened at least once, but I can’t think of a single example.

And the fact that Bill Armstrong seems to value pushback in his teams makes it seem like Tocchet’s job will be in jeopardy if we keep playing soft. That makes me happy.

Ok time to watch some hockey

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
We’ll just have to accept a full year of tocchet this season. I really don’t think he’ll get an extension unless by some miracle they have an amazing season which I just don’t see happening.

tocchet will be around all season, BA will sell tons at the deadline when things are realistic that the team isn’t gonna make it, and tocchet will walk at the end of the season, giving BA his opportunity to bring in whoever he wants and not be limited to a mid-season interim change.

Of course this could all change if the team gets off to a miserable start, which is not uncommon under tocchet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad