Confirmed with Link: Bill Armstrong is the new GM of the Coyotes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Gotta think Armstrong has his own guy in mind for head scout and we'll be canning Hofford in the coming weeks.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
I hope shit starts happening fast and furious now.

1. Armstrong named President of Hockey Ops - Sullivan named GM
2. Maybe they convince Burke to be AGM and run Tucson so he can finally land a GM job in the future...who knows?
3. Make the Kuemper and OEL deals
4. Fire Tocchet and hire Van Ryn the next day.

Reactions: 0point1 and Grimes

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Listen, I’m not saying because he’s never been the boss of a whole hockey team that means he can’t be a great boss of a whole hockey team. I’d just much, much rather choose a candidate that has experience running a whole team, and having demonstrated success doing so.

This feels an awful lot like hiring a really great assistant coach from a really great team, rather than a guy with a bunch of minor pro and junior success of head coaching.

This is like hiring Rick Tocchet instead of Todd Nelson. Very, very similar. Tocchet did one thing really well and won a lot. Armstrong is the same. Like Tocchet, his resume is very specialized.

However, Bill Armstrong is not Rick Tocchet. They have nothing at all to do with one another and one’s failure is in no way the other’s promise. I understood and respected the decision to hire Tocchet. I regret it now, but that’s pure hindsight.

Bill Armstrong would be my third choice of the names mentioned. And my sixth or seventh choice if I had my pick of the whole field.

But I’m just guessing. And he might be great. Hiring him still feels like dodging a bullet. Even if I’d have just gone with Sullivan.

Reactions: Jakey53 and Mosby

rt

May 13, 2004
If I can adjust that fourth point... Hire Van Ryn and assistant coach Scott Allen. Have Scott Allen fire Tocchet.
I might literally scream with glee. The kind where you fold your fingers down On both hands and press your nails into your lips, and do that shaking, high pitched glee scream. Like a tween meeting a Jonas brother. Or like an anime.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Who's actually making the decision to hire the GM? We have an owner and his buddy with zero hockey experience. That's definitely a cause for concern. That's why I'd prefer they hire a guy to run the hockey ops with actual hockey experience and let him hire the GM.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Listen, I’m not saying because he’s never been the boss of a whole hockey team that means he can’t be a great boss of a whole hockey team. I’d just much, much rather choose a candidate that has experience running a whole team, and having demonstrated success doing so.

This feels an awful lot like hiring a really great assistant coach from a really great team, rather than a guy with a bunch of minor pro and junior success of head coaching.

This is like hiring Rick Tocchet instead of Todd Nelson. Very, very similar. Tocchet did one thing really well and won a lot. Armstrong is the same. Like Tocchet, his resume is very specialized.

However, Bill Armstrong is not Rick Tocchet. They have nothing at all to do with one another and one’s failure is in no way the other’s promise. I understood and respected the decision to hire Tocchet. I regret it now, but that’s pure hindsight.

Bill Armstrong would be my third choice of the names mentioned. And my sixth or seventh choice if I had my pick of the whole field.

But I’m just guessing. And he might be great. Hiring him still feels like dodging a bullet. Even if I’d have just gone with Sullivan.

I hear you - but I would look at it more as kind of a management tandem between Armstrong and Sullivan. That’s if what I think is happening is actually happening. If he’s President and Sully is GM then you’re not asking either one of them to go it alone. They’d each have their main roles but they’d be running the whole team together. It would be even sweeter getting to add a guy like Burke to bounce ideas off of as AGM.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Who's actually making the decision to hire the GM? We have an owner and his buddy with zero hockey experience. That's definitely a cause for concern. That's why I'd prefer they hire a guy to run the hockey ops with actual hockey experience and let him hire the GM.

How many owners actually have hockey experience though? And wouldn't the same guys with no experience hiring a GM be the same guys with no experience hiring a Pres of Hockey Ops?

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
How many owners actually have hockey experience though? And wouldn't the same guys with no experience hiring a GM be the same guys with no experience hiring a Pres of Hockey Ops?

Yeah but the GM has to build the roster and prospect pool. That guy needs to be the best person in the organization imo. Having an experience executive working with him on contract negotiations would be nice too. I don't like the fact that Chayka was in both roles. Too much on one guy.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
That's what I would have done, but they are getting help from the NHL. I would prefer a proven successful experienced GM, not another rookie, but money is a concern with this virus BS, and that is probably why RT is coach next year.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
There are only like 7 or 8 teams that use the Pres Hockey Ops and GM model. Too many cooks I'd guess.

We do need to fill out or hockey ops department for the people below Armstrong though. Hofford, Goldberg, and potentially but hopefully not Sullivan.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
We do need to fill out or hockey ops department for the people below Armstrong though. Hofford, Goldberg, and potentially but hopefully not Sullivan.

Possible keeping Sullivan was a condition of the job. Would explain the candidate list.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Armstrong only picked inside the top 20 once during 10 years in STL. Wow. Boy is he in for a treat...

rt

May 13, 2004
I hear you - but I would look at it more as kind of a management tandem between Armstrong and Sullivan. That’s if what I think is happening is actually happening. If he’s President and Sully is GM then you’re not asking either one of them to go it alone. They’d each have their main roles but they’d be running the whole team together. It would be even sweeter getting to add a guy like Burke to bounce ideas off of as AGM.
There is no chance that’s happening. Billy Armstrong is the GM and Steve Sullivan is extremely likely resign and go manage another team (keep an eye on Nashville).

rt

May 13, 2004
Possible keeping Sullivan was a condition of the job. Would explain the candidate list.
I’d feel very happy if Sullivan kept the Tucson Job and got a VP title and was more involved in overall Ops. If we get Armstrong and keep Sullivan and they ditch Tocchet and bring in MVR, I’ll be ecstatic.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
I’d feel very happy if Sullivan kept the Tucson Job and got a VP title and was more involved in overall Ops. If we get Armstrong and keep Sullivan and they ditch Tocchet and bring in MVR, I’ll be ecstatic.

It really doesn’t seem that far fetched. The main reason I think there’s a chance that Sully gets the GM title and Armstrong President, is because he’s been working on deals for the team’s two best assets. At the very least you have to think he’s sticking around as AGM/VP of Ops. How can you let a guy trade your two best chips and then walk? Doesn’t add up.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Mixed feelings here. I believe this is a 0 on my point scale. If we hire MVR and Sullivan stays on in so e capacity I am much happier. Obviously if Armstrong is a great GM and navigates this draft and offseason like a boss than I will eat crow. I had somewhat talked myself into Burke being alright due to his roster build philosophy (not putting too much stock in analytics), potential drove in being a GM and all around experience. Armstrong seems like a great scout, which is obviously a huge first step. Exciting prospect, but this organization needs some experience too. Overall will be happy we didn't hire a complete shmuck and will be eager to see what he does to right this ship.

Reactions: MayDayMayDay

rt

May 13, 2004
It really doesn’t seem that far fetched. The main reason I think there’s a chance that Sully gets the GM title and Armstrong President, is because he’s been working on deals for the team’s two best assets. At the very least you have to think he’s sticking around as AGM/VP of Ops. How can you let a guy trade your two best chips and then walk? Doesn’t add up.
There is a 0% chance Armstrong was offered Pres of Hockey Ops and not GM.

rt

May 13, 2004
Mixed feelings here. I believe this is a 0 on my point scale. If we hire MVR and Sullivan stays on in so e capacity I am much happier. Obviously if Armstrong is a great GM and navigates this draft and offseason like a boss than I will eat crow. I had somewhat talked myself into Burke being alright due to his roster build philosophy (not putting too much stock in analytics), potential drove in being a GM and all around experience. Armstrong seems like a great scout, which is obviously a huge first step. Exciting prospect, but this organization needs some experience too. Overall will be happy we didn't hire a complete shmuck and will be eager to see what he does to right this ship.
Same.

This feels so much like Tocchet right down to Armstrong’s lack of eloquence and big bruising oaf persona. But we just lived through an extremely well-spoken guy who expresses himself perfectly and had no redeeming interpersonal qualities at all in Chayka and that was a f***ing disaster.

If you adopt the strategy of hiring the “next one” from every champion on a regular basis, it seems more likely than not to pay off. Tocchet has been an absolute bust, but that may be the exception rather that the rule. Kind of like the old joke around here if throwing out your draft list and just taking the best available London Knight. Sounds overly simplistic but the joke was that for a while, we’d have been better off. Lol.

Reactions: Dead Coyote

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
There is a 0% chance Armstrong was offered Pres of Hockey Ops and not GM.

I meant it doesn’t seem that far fetched about what you were saying with him being AGM and VP. I just don’t see him leaving for NSH or something immediately after trading the team’s two best players.

rt

May 13, 2004
I meant it doesn’t seem that far fetched about what you were saying with him being AGM and VP. I just don’t see him leaving for NSH or something immediately after trading the team’s two best players.
Ah. Yeah. AGM and VP could happen. I actually hope so. I want Sullivan around. Especially if it helps get Tocchet out. Doubly so if it get Mike Van Ryn in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad