Speculation: Bilingual Coaches and GM Candidate List Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
For people pushing for Roy, what has he done in the last 5 years to warrant any consideration?
Me it's less about what he's accomplished in the last 5 years...he's been running the Remparts for years, I don't think qualifications are necessarily the issue, again, at least not for me.

I just think most people who are pushing for Roy just want the nostalgia, they want the connection to our happy days, they want their buddy back with the team.

They want this organization to stay in the past.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
For people pushing for Roy, what has he done in the last 5 years to warrant any consideration?

Same thing as anyone else getting a look at every time a NHL team is looking to fill in a GM position.

Getting the job is a different matter entirely, but as far as meeting the NHL requirements to be considered for the job, then yeah, he absolutely does.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Same thing as anyone else getting a look at every time a NHL team is looking to fill in a GM position.

Getting the job is a different matter entirely, but as far as meeting the NHL requirements to be considered for the job, then yeah, he absolutely does.
Maybe I should be clearer: what has Roy done in the last 5 years that demonstrates that he should be a front runner? Meeting the minimum requirements shouldn't be the standard.

Reactions: Nico Cauzuki

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Maybe I should be clearer: what has Roy done in the last 5 years that demonstrates that he should be a front runner? Meeting the minimum requirements shouldn't be the standard.

Same thing as the next guy.

Peter Chiarelli and Pierre McGuire are STILL getting interviewed for GM position. THAT is the NHL standard. In that world, Roy is worth a consideration.

eklund the clown

Dec 28, 2010
Better than that why would Gorton want a hot head shit disturber to deal with.He would probably turn on Gorton and try to get Molson to make him the boss.We don't need anymore of the ex Habs making pretty to the french media.Haven't we had enough of this?It ain't working. Bring in as many outsiders as possible and weed out the cancers

Reactions: amethyst

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
You have far more faith in the higher authority's insight than I have.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
The thing that scares me with Marc Denis as a GM is that he might give a lot of attention to acquiring french players. More attention than needed.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
Me it's less about what he's accomplished in the last 5 years...he's been running the Remparts for years, I don't think qualifications are necessarily the issue, again, at least not for me.

I just think most people who are pushing for Roy just want the nostalgia, they want the connection to our happy days, they want their buddy back with the team.

They want this organization to stay in the past.
I think you have it all wrong. People who are pushing for Roy are quite the opposite . They don't care about staying in the past with an old ' glorieux'......actually, I think that people want Roy because they think that he's actually the one guy that could burn everything to the ground.
We now have an opportunity to see how bad , from the top veterans to the youngest prospects out roster is. This team is in dying need of a biblical kick in the butt. Everybody knows that Roy has a quick expiration date, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I think you have it all wrong. People who are pushing for Roy are quite the opposite . They don't care about staying in the past with an old ' glorieux'......actually, I think that people want Roy because they think that he's actually the one guy that could burn everything to the ground.
We now have an opportunity to see how bad , from the top veterans to the youngest prospects out roster is. This team is in dying need of a biblical kick in the butt. Everybody knows that Roy has a quick expiration date, but desperate times call for desperate measures.
I respect your take but I don't think that's what it is personally.

This fanbase loves nostalgia...what's more nostalgic for Habs fans/media than Patrick Roy?

Reactions: salbutera

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal

Peter Chiarelli and Pierre McGuire are STILL getting interviewed for GM position. THAT is the NHL standard. In that world, Roy is worth a consideration.
You’re kind of proving my point by not providing anything tangible.

Other than his name, what has Roy done to make people believe he should be the front runner?

Reactions: 417

eklund the clown

Dec 28, 2010

Other than his name, what has Roy done to make people believe he should be the front runner?
I don't know Houle and Tremblay seemed to work out.Since when does qualified have to do with hiring in Habsland?Hopefully(fingers crossed) this era is over otherwise we will all be back here in 2 years with the same old story

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014

The answer won't change no matter how many time you ask the question.

There is a huge failure to acknowledge that the NHL as a whole doesn't have the same rigorous selection process as the space program when it come to hiring people, let alone who they decide to consider for a job.

There is a lot more of "who you are" and "who you know" than "what have you done".

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I respect that he went back in there, did the daily grind, took the buses drives and made his classes as coach and GM. Not saying it was great success. But being a GM in Junior is essentialy take your chances for three years, then you go young and start over. It's a neverending circle and you simply cannot keep your players for long. It's different in the NHL where you can really make a difference and keep your core players for ten years and more and really build something. I believe Roy would make much more noise as a GM in the NHL than he did in junior. Plus for people that are so scared of him and his outbursts, other than his first few years, he has been rather a reserved coach and GM in the Q.
Dale Hunter followed the exact same path and has had significantly more success in London, yet stunk up the joint w Caps, and couldn’t wait to run back to his junior team.

It’s one thing to be the big fish in a little pond, quite another to be swimming with the sharks - nostalgia has a funny way of romanticizing and making one forget about that…

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I don't know what track record Bergevin has to warrant the high regard from NHL owners .Sort of like Roy being in demand for GM job here.
6-playoffs in-9 years, including Cup final and conf final, in the toughest media market in the NHL and a non-elite player friendly market as well (for the rare elite UFAs and those unwilling to waive NMC/NTC)

compare that success level to other GMs hired in same period, Nill, Chevaldayoff, even Sakic.

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario
People are unnecessarily worried about Roy. Gorton is going to be there. The GM will have say but do you think Gorton is going to let him make any moves based off emotion? I doubt it. The guy’s a winner everywhere he’s been, in multiple roles. There’s other great candidates, but I would welcome him with open arms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad