Speculation: Bilingual Coaches and GM Candidate List Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Who is in the lead/running, like top 3? Do we know?

Roy/Darche/Emilie Castonguay?
I don't think any serious person thinks Roy has a shot.
Darche and Denis seem to be the hot names - maybe Briere as well.
I think they choose one of the women like Castonguay for AGM.

Reactions: Runner77

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Would you agree that the Expos faced similar shortcomings in terms of market appeal and perhaps worse? And yet, they found a way, their focus on drafting and development allowed them to field talent they could have likely never acquired on the open market.

Gorton can apply the same recipe but he needs his management people on board pronto and Molson money to poach the ones on expiring contracts.

I’m at the point that I don’t care as much who they name as GM since it will be a collaborative effort and Gorton is there to help avert a disaster.

Just get the best head of scouting guy money can buy — that’s where this team’s bread and butter is going to come from.
Absolutely & I’ve stated that ad nauseam on this board - Habs need to take a page out of the Expos book and Molson needs to take a page out of Bronfman’s actions and focus all hockey ops spending on ensuring the best amateur drafting & player development.

The only difference (and a big one) between MLB and NHL - baseball draft is 40-rounds with lots of untapped markets to sign mid-teens, all those assets combined with 4-development leagues (rookie ball, A, AA, AAA) provides greater probability to land that one pro level asset

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
We’ve been spending way too much time on who the GM will be.

The position that matters the most, however, is who will be appointed Head of Scouting. I’m not saying the GM doesn’t matter, only that his nomination matters less cause Gorton is there.

If it’s not Madden, then who? I’d hate to see someone with limited experience in the role. At least with a Madden type, he’d bring along significant brain power in the form of scouts that he knows can do the job.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

The position that matters the most, however, is who will be appointed head of scouting. If it’s not Madden, then who? I’d hate to see someone with limited experience in the role. At least with a Madden type, he’d bring along significant brain power in the form of scouts that he knows can do the job.
I actually feel amateur scouting is an area Habs can try to revolutionize vs traditional methodology the other 31-orgs have in place. Focus on both short/medium term (3-5 years) and long term (10+ years)

Build in parallel an elite video crew (enhanced w use of analytics), and traditional boots on the ground crew (poaching the best scouts) scouring the entire planet including the development of hockey academies in every corner of the globe.

Is there potential to land & develop the next Chara in an untapped market in outer reaches of China or Siberia or Nepal, could one of the next generation of Aussie rules or NZ All Blacks rugby athletes be transformed instead into a hockey player etc.? There are a lot of untapped field hockey markets with high end athletes, skating is their big unknown, a long term academy would look at bridging that gap into one day developing an asset..

IMO, that ability to execute an out of the box concept is what attracted Gorton to Mtl. He’s got the wherewithal (re: $) to be able to do so w Habs, which only 2-3 other orgs can.

Madden Jr’s ideally qualified to execute such an implementation with his more analytical & detailed approach combined w drafting specialization.

The ultimate legacy play for both Gorton & Madden Jr…

Last edited:

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North

The position that matters the most, however, is who will be appointed Head of Scouting. I’m not saying the GM doesn’t matter, only that his nomination matters less cause Gorton is there.

If it’s not Madden, then who? I’d hate to see someone with limited experience in the role. At least with a Madden type, he’d bring along significant brain power in the form of scouts that he knows can do the job.
Agree give Madden a blank check hes the one we really need,enough with the mediocre teams its time to build a team a real team

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Agree give Madden a blank check hes the one we really need,enough with the mediocre teams its time to build a team a real team

Maybe we’ve gone from:

Mediocre ownership oversight, shortsighted GM mandates
Incompetent management
Mediocre results

To:

Badly burned ownership, possibly having learned from mistakes
Highly competent management QB
Revamped org. structure

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal

That's why Madden makes the most sense, he'll get the GM achievement in his portfolio and the salary that goes with the nomination while he could still be more focused on the draft and development because Gorton is there to deal with contracts and stuff.

Reactions: dinodebino

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I actually feel amateur scouting is an area Habs can try to revolutionize vs traditional methodology the other 31-orgs have in place. Focus on both short/medium term (3-5 years) and long term (10+ years)

Build in parallel an elite video crew (enhanced w use of analytics), and traditional boots on the ground crew (poaching the best scouts) scouring the entire planet including the development of hockey academies in every corner of the globe.

Is there potential to land & develop the next Chara in an untapped market in outer reaches of China or Siberia or Nepal, could one of the next generation of Aussie rules or NZ All Blacks rugby athletes be transformed instead into a hockey player etc.?

IMO, that ability to execute an out of the box concept is what attracted Gorton to Mtl. He’s got the wherewithal (re: $) to be able to do so w Habs, which only 2-3 other orgs can.

The ultimate legacy play…

I love that all-encompassing approach. Scouting takes special attributes and as we all know too well, it’s not an exact science. But, there are those who know how to hedge their recommendations.

Those more astute and proven scouts coupled with a sizeable investment in resources that most other clubs can’t or won’t invest, is how this org. will have at least a fair shot at landing, say, an Aho type of player when they’re not picking in the top 5.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Really, and who would they have left unprotected to protect him?

These were the forwards they protected:
  • Ryan Callahan (F)
  • Tyler Johnson (F)
  • Alex Killorn (F)
  • Nikita Kucherov (F)
  • Vladislav Namestnikov (F)
  • Ondrej Palat (F)
  • Steven Stamkos (F)
Drouin would've easily been protected over all of them except Kucherov and Stamkos.

Reactions: SakuKoivu11

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
  • Ryan Callahan (F)
  • Tyler Johnson (F)
  • Alex Killorn (F)
  • Nikita Kucherov (F)
  • Ondrej Palat (F)
  • Steven Stamkos (F)
Drouin would've easily been protected over all of them except Kucherov and Stamkos.
Ya, OK then.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

Is there potential to land & develop the next Chara in an untapped market in outer reaches of China or Siberia or Nepal, could one of the next generation of Aussie rules or NZ All Blacks rugby athletes be transformed instead into a hockey player etc.? There are a lot of untapped field hockey markets with high end athletes, skating is their big unknown, a long term academy would look at bridging that gap into one day developing an asset..

Madden Jr’s ideally qualified to execute such an implementation with his more analytical & detailed approach combined w drafting specialization.

The ultimate legacy play for both Gorton & Madden Jr…

This is a good idea. IMO, scouts should generate data. What gets done with that data should all be done via math. That is, scouts give the prospects grades on various attributes, but the value assigned to those attributes is done via algorithm. It will take at least 5 or 6 years for this approach to yield fruit (a few drafts to collect data, and a few years to see how it plays out), but the returns could be enormous.

There's also a Finnish company which has developed a smart puck, which gives accurate puck level data. It's already in use in Liiga. If you have access to the data, you have access to things like zone entries, exits, pass completion, shot assist, high danger shot assist, you name it, all with negligible error. We could leverage that to be the only ones with such data, before such data becomes industry standard.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
This is a good idea. IMO, scouts should generate data. What gets done with that data should all be done via math. That is, scouts give the prospects grades on various attributes, but the value assigned to those attributes is done via algorithm. It will take at least 5 or 6 years for this approach to yield fruit (a few drafts to collect data, and a few years to see how it plays out), but the returns could be enormous.

There's also a Finnish company which has developed a smart puck, which gives accurate puck level data. It's already in use in Liiga. If you have access to the data, you have access to things like zone entries, exits, pass completion, shot assist, high danger shot assist, you name it, all with negligible error. We could leverage that to be the only ones with such data, before such data becomes industry standard.

I, for one, think we should judge prospects on the important things;

How attractive is their girlfriend/boyfriend?
What's the shape of their ass?

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario
Where was he a winner in hockey ops as a non player?

This is all a moot point because St Patrick for all intents has been unofficially blackballed by the owners for his schtick w Avs - quitting the way he did.

This is a pure PR stunt by Molson, nothing more, St Patrick isn’t a serious candidate, if he’s even being interviewed in reality

He built Quebec Remparts teams that won.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
  • Ryan Callahan (F)
  • Tyler Johnson (F)
  • Alex Killorn (F)
  • Nikita Kucherov (F)
  • Ondrej Palat (F)
  • Steven Stamkos (F)

Palat, Killhorn.
But yeah, no way they protect Namestnikov over Drouin, and I'm assuming NMC for Callahan.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
He built Quebec Remparts teams that won.
Memorial cup was 15-years ago (2006), and has done squat for the last 14-years.

Now compare that record to what Hunter has accomplished w London Knights, including a comparison of the number of top end NHL players developed by each org

Reactions: amethyst

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006

Now compare that record to what Hunter has accomplished w London Knights, including a comparison of the number of top end NHL players developed by each org

Also he never won a QMJHL title. Got into the Memorial Cup through the backdoor and won a short tournament.

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario

London pays everyone under the table so that’s not really a fair comparison either.

Reactions: vokiel

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Jeff Gorton: Executive VP
Stephane Quintal: VP
Patrick Roy: GM

What a hot mess!!! Lolll

Gorton and Quintal during the meetings:

giphy (1).gif

Roy in the same meeting:

giphy (2).gif