Biggest steals, surprises and disappointments of the draft? [2006]

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
LaLaLaprise said:
All three are steals.

Briere is a Q forward, so is Pominville...Dumont as well....do they suck? nope :)

Schutz = AMAZING...hidden gem...wait till u see him in camp...he has 1st rd talent.

Breault in rd 7 is a disgrace...hes better than his team mates Bouchard who was picked 35th overall.

And the 3rd "Q forward" isnt a Q forward. Alex Biega, a dman from Quebec who is playing prep. Great puck mover, one of the best skaters in the draft.

Actually, I think he was refering to Bouchard, Lacroix, and Perrauelt for the Caps. As a Sabres fan, I'm pleased as punch to have Schutz, Breault, and Montreal native Biega. :D :clap:

hoppy

EK65
Jun 11, 2006
St. John's
How about Mathieu Roy not getting selected!
Outscoring Claud Giroux in this season in the Q with 4 less games!
Only 12 points back of Brassard as well.

VladNYC*

Marcel the great! said:
who are you talking about exactly?

Grabovsky and Emelin. Plus you drafted Valentenko who is a great pick with some work.

I am looking forward to seeing a 5 man russian line in Montreal. You guys are gonna be ripping faces next year.

Grabovsky Kovalev Perezhogin
Emelin Markov

is a sick sick line up. If given the chance they can do alot for you guys.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
VladNYC said:
Grabovsky and Emelin. Plus you drafted Valentenko who is a great pick with some work.

I am looking forward to seeing a 5 man russian line in Montreal. You guys are gonna be ripping faces next year.

Grabovsky Kovalev Perezhogin
Emelin Markov

is a sick sick line up. If given the chance they can do alot for you guys.
wow your higher then most people on our prospects :handclap: although your right about Perezhogin, Kovy and Markov, i don't quite consider Grabovsky and Emelin blue-chip prospects like you do, who do you compare these 2 in the NHL and how many points a year projected do you think they'l have, since you have obviously seen them more then i have

VladNYC*

Grabovsky is fast, smart and very skilled. He is small but he is perfect for the new NHL. He played with Hanlon as a coach on team belarus and they did very well thanks to him and his amazing idividual effort and skill. That said he is a good team player. He is like Semin with out the temper.

Emelin is hands down a world class player. At 17 he was smashing faces in the RSL. He's a hard hitting defensemen with a crazy temper. Smart, fast and not afraid of any one. Him and Markov as a pair is a really good idea.

I will be watching as many montreal games as i can this year. If you guys take the right chances you will have a very exciting team this year.

eddy

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
Some steals that stood out for me: Shirokov, Kulemin, JAN-MIKAEL JUUTILAINEN, Williams, Jonnesu (sp).
Homer pick steals: Ben Maxwell(49) and Ryan White(66). (both put in top 30 of many mock drafts)

Last edited:

eddy

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
VladNYC said:
Grabovsky is fast, smart and very skilled. He is small but he is perfect for the new NHL. He played with Hanlon as a coach on team belarus and they did very well thanks to him and his amazing idividual effort and skill. That said he is a good team player. He is like Semin with out the temper.

Emelin is hands down a world class player. At 17 he was smashing faces in the RSL. He's a hard hitting defensemen with a crazy temper. Smart, fast and not afraid of any one. Him and Markov as a pair is a really good idea.

I will be watching as many montreal games as i can this year. If you guys take the right chances you will have a very exciting team this year.

I've heard Emelin is stayin in Russia for another 2 years for sure and not comming over to NA you know anything on this? It's being discussed over on the Habs board. I was really hoping he'd come over to NA next year, he has such a great style of play for NA hockey.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Cush said:
Caps take no one from the WHL for a second straight year

The Islanders had 13 picks and only took one CHLer(6th rounder on a Nolan coached player). Thankfully 2 of the Euros we drafted seem to be headed to the CHL next season, so they should be easier to deal with when it comes to signing them.

bfire

May 30, 2006
Toronto
www.hockeynut.com
eddy said:
Some steals that stood out for me: Shirokov, Kulemin, JAN-MIKAEL JUUTILAINEN, Williams, Jonnesu (sp).
Homer pick steals: Ben Maxwell(49) and Ryan White(66). (both put in top 30 of many mock drafts)

That's what i think, and zharkov at 71 for the devils

Potted Plant

May 30, 2003
Tuscaloosa, AL
Visit site
VladNYC said:
There are plenty of NHL ready RSLers, the scouts are just lazy and lack knowledge of the RSL players on certain NHL teams.. Look at all these russian super stars who in the past have been drafted in the late rounds. Datsyuk in round 6. Fedorov in round 4. Markov in the 6th round. Mogilny in the 5th round. And on and on.

As for Mogilny and Fedorov, you have to consider the political situation prevailing at the time. This was the time in which the Soviet Union was crumbling. People didn't know much about these players, and didn't know if they'd be willing, or even able, to come to North America. Some teams apparently had some inside information that some of these guys would be coming over, and exploited the fact that these guys were relatively unknown and drafted them with late-round picks. The late '80s and very early '90s are littered with players from Eastern Bloc countries being drafted in later rounds and becoming stars. Probably the biggest reason Detroit Red Wings came to prominence at that time was by getting players like Fedorov and Fetisov in later rounds.

As for Datsyuk and Markov, well, sometimes a late-drafted player ends up being better than people ever thought. Adam Oates was never drafted, despite being in plain sight in American colleges for several draft years. He did more in his career than Datsyuk has (and probably ever will). He's just a step below Hall of Fame level. Wasn't Dino Ciccarelli undrafted? Mark Messier was drafted VERY low.

The point is, don't generalize from individual circumstances.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Chainshot said:
Actually, I think he was refering to Bouchard, Lacroix, and Perrauelt for the Caps. As a Sabres fan, I'm pleased as punch to have Schutz, Breault, and Montreal native Biega. :D :clap:

Hockey overload LOL duhhh...George MacPhee is the Caps GM...:)

Sorry Strungout :)

drubaca

Feb 28, 2002
South Hamilton, MA
Visit site
justdanickoftime said:
oskar osala in the fourth round for the caps and max lacroix in the fifth round, big steals, and i think the caps had the best draft so far.

I could have sworn that Oskar Osala would have gone in the 2nd round, early third at the latest. I thinkWashington got a steal with that pick

Transported Upstater

Caniacforever said:
Viktor Stahlberg

It has been said he's a cross between Viktor Kozlov, Eric Staal, and Aki Berg. What isn't to like? :sarcasm:

Bobby Hughes has a lot of offensive potential and he slipped a bit. I would love to see him work out for Carolina.

LOL, nice one :biglaugh:

flyercide

Feb 27, 2002
Philadelphia
Visit site
Kessel

i missed the draft this year. 1st time in long time. infact just looked at draft results few minutes ago... and kinda shocked Kessel went 5th???

there was soooo much talk about this kid. wasnt he favorite to go 1st overall? what happened? im looking now for any talk but cant find any...

Jovofan

Apr 26, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Here's just a few of mine:

REACHES
Trevor Lews (LA - 17th overall)
Semen Varlamov (WSH - 23rd overall)
Matthew Corrente (NJ - 30th overall)

STEALS
Cory Emmerton (DET - 41st overall)
Nigel Williams (COL - 51st overall)
Alexander Vasyunov (NJ - 58th overall)
Jesse Joensuu (NYI - 60th overall)
Mike Forney (ATL - 80th overall)
Tomas Marcinko (NYI - 115th ovearll)
Jan-Mikael Juutilainen (CHI - 156th ovearll)

Tadite

Feb 27, 2002
Rhode Island
Visit site
For the Kings I think our two best chances at a "steal" pick are:

Jeff Zatkoff G, 3rd round, No. 74 overall

In a year of a bunch of goalies with no clearly defined elite choice guys like Zatkoff have a tendency to drop.

David Meckler, C
5th round, No. 134 overall

All he seems to do is score goals. After geting 30 of them in the USHL he decides to go to college and then have the miss-fortune of breaking his wrist at the start of the season. This caused a impressive reduction in pts/goals. But its a 5th round pick... Did he not get to many points in his first college season because he doesn't have the talent or was it because of the injury? If its the injury then we could have a nice player here....

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
goducksgo said:
Derrick Lapoint

-Saw the kid play. He's amazing.

Could be a potential gem. From what i've read from other posters and Scott Luce our head scout on LaPointe, they are really high on him.
Frolik could be a steal.

Williams is the biggest steal of this draft IMO.

Pothier

Aug 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
White and Maxwell are great picks for the Habs.

For the Sens, I think Kaspars Daugavins could turn out to be a real steal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad