Biggest steals, surprises and disappointments of the draft? [2006]

no Gino

May 16, 2005
sbtatter said:
Did the smaller % of dub picks have anything to do with them not enforcing the new NHL rules last year, thus meaving some doubt in scouts minds how some of the WHL players can adapt to the new NHL????
The WHL are adopting the NHL rules this year, except only 40% of games will have 2 refs.....

The dub averaged nearly a goal a game less than the other two leagues this year. Over the course of a season this could mean 15-20 pts more for a team's top couple of scorers.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
hockeyglove said:
There was an article printed a few years ago that embarrassed the NHL. The article focused on the draft picks in the 8th and 9th rounds. Most of the GM's had left the draft by then and left the picks up to scouts and underlings. Some players were picked because of favors owed to parents (look...my kid was drafted by the NHL), by unusual last names (because the scouts had never seen the kid play), or the teams passed on picking altogether. It was a slap in the face for kids hoping to get drafted to watch the charade. It was fitting and proper that if some people in the NHL were going to use the last two rounds of the draft for their personal amusement, it should be cancelled.
I don't know where you got this from, but it is not true. Not team ever skipped a pick, GM's didn't leave, and the amount of players a scout sees in a year means they don't resort to picking players based on unusual names. If that was true, why wasn't Robin Big Snake drafted?

Crosby=Gretzky

Dec 7, 2004
i lost myself
I'm surprised that JC-Blanchard(Q goalie) and Tysen Dowzak(American WHL D-man) didn't got picked. Blanchard was the top ranked goalie(and a first rounder) a year ago, and even though I don't like Dowzak, he surely has NHL potential and is a solid defensive defenseman.

VladNYC*

The Maltais Falcon said:
No, the big issue remains.

Teams only have a two-year window to sign Euros whereas before they retained Euro rights indefinitely. Now, teams aren't going to spend later-round picks on Euros that will take more than two years to develop. Instead, you will see a lot more college players taken later in the draft as they have a longer window to develop and teams will retain their rights for three or four years instead of two. The odds of having a good player on your hands when it comes time to have to sign the prospect will be better now with collegians than with Euros.

There are plenty of NHL ready RSLers, the scouts are just lazy and lack knowledge of the RSL players on certain NHL teams.. Look at all these russian super stars who in the past have been drafted in the late rounds. Datsyuk in round 6. Fedorov in round 4. Markov in the 6th round. Mogilny in the 5th round. And on and on.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Surprises: Carter not getting drafted

Steals: Joensuu at 60, Kumelin at 44 Marcinko in rd 4

KzooShark

Jun 3, 2004
Oilers Chick said:
Biggest surprises:

1) Nigel Williams falling as far as he did.

2) WMU's Chris Frank getting drafted.

Biggest disappointment: By far the number of current collegians who weren't taken. I'm still shaking my head over Alec Richards being passed over. :shakehead

Also, how does Chris Frank get drafted and these defensemen: Tim Filangieri, Brett Motherwell, Jack Christian, Zach Jones, or Mike Brennan, don't? :dunno:

Biggest steal: Hmmm...of the players that I've actually seen, I'd say Colorado taking Billy Sauer in the 7th round at #201.

Without knowing much of anything about the other defensemen you mentioned, I'd imagine that Frank is one of those thrown out 7th round picks where they see that he's a 240 pound defensemen that likes to hit people through glass and figure he's a project on everything else and maybe they'll get lucky and he'll learn how to do well, all the other things.

He was Western's best actual defenseman last season as a freshman. Granted that's like being voted "Coolest person in the A/V club" in high school with the porous defensive system that's been run in Kalamazoo for 7 years straight now, but who knows.

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC
I was shocked that Joensuu fell into the Isles hands at #60. I've been high on this kid for a few months, I think he will be a real steal, and I was begging for the Isles to pick him. On an Islanders board, you can view my posts in the early second round basically begging the Isles to trade up and nab him. Turns out that wasn't needed and sure enough, the Isles took him. :handclap:

Islanders getting Figren in the third was also a pleasant surprise, as he was pegged anywhere from the very-late first, to the mid-second.

garypl

Aug 2, 2005
Hey Letsgoislanders!

Seems to me many pics were off the charts with College entry kids--Im looked on a few sites, other then the Isles and they didnt have much analysis of them(looking for an independant non fluff opinion-)-Still, we could have a few surprises in our 13 guys, no??
More i read about our first pick and how his stock was rising, i feel good--Some said he could have gone top 5

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Hedberg said:
I don't know where you got this from, but it is not true. Not team ever skipped a pick, GM's didn't leave, and the amount of players a scout sees in a year means they don't resort to picking players based on unusual names. If that was true, why wasn't Robin Big Snake drafted?

Click and learn: http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cach...tml+"taro+tsujimoto"&hl=en&gl=ca&ct=clnk&cd=1. I'm sure the Sabres had huge plans for Tsujimoto after the stunning season he had with the Katanas ;) .

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
strungout said:
George McPhee taking 3 QMJHL forwards.

:whaaa?:

All three are steals.

Briere is a Q forward, so is Pominville...Dumont as well....do they suck? nope :)

Schutz = AMAZING...hidden gem...wait till u see him in camp...he has 1st rd talent.

Breault in rd 7 is a disgrace...hes better than his team mates Bouchard who was picked 35th overall.

And the 3rd "Q forward" isnt a Q forward. Alex Biega, a dman from Quebec who is playing prep. Great puck mover, one of the best skaters in the draft.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
LaLaLaprise said:
All three are steals.

Briere is a Q forward, so is Pominville...Dumont as well....do they suck? nope :)

Schutz = AMAZING...hidden gem...wait till u see him in camp...he has 1st rd talent.

Breault in rd 7 is a disgrace...hes better than his team mates Bouchard who was picked 35th overall.

And the 3rd "Q forward" isnt a Q forward. Alex Biega, a dman from Quebec who is playing prep. Great puck mover, one of the best skaters in the draft.

Breault in round 7 is a disgrace but he isn't better than Bouchard. Bouchard has more talent than Ben with the puck and is more of a playmaker.

Good call on Biega, I had him going in the third. No reason he couldn't have been seen in similar light to a Seabrook IMO.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Balej's Dance said:
Breault in round 7 is a disgrace but he isn't better than Bouchard. Bouchard has more talent than Ben with the puck and is more of a playmaker.

Good call on Biega, I had him going in the third. No reason he couldn't have been seen in similar light to a Seabrook IMO.

Bouchard is a poor skater...that will hold him back...he is skilled but he also played on Picard-Hoopers wing...Breault was left to center the 2nd line...

Looking at stats, Bouchard is better...but ive watched these 2 since Midget hockey...Breault has more pure skill, and is a much better skater. I feel his game will translate to the NHL better, but its just an opinion :)

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
VladNYC said:
What a bad draft for russians. Alot of really good guys got a slap in the face.

Popov in the 7th round..***.

Kulemin should have been drafted in the first round. Pit should have gotten him to play with malkin. Why they picked a a ****ing center when they got malkin and crosby is beyond me.

WSH did a really good job with their pics. Backstrom and Varlamov were great picks.

Montreal is gonna have an insane team next year if they let their RSL prospects play next year.
Over all, same **** different year.
who are you talking about exactly?

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
kostitsyn1489 said:
Bad pick... Sheppard 9th Grabner 14th

Good pick Frolik 10th Foligno 28th Alexnadrov Boston 2nd pick.

Steal Popov and Sepanen 7th round.

Sheppard at 9th was a very good pick...he has 1 weakness...foot speed. Thast it...he plays air tight D, he can hit, hes a leader, he can score, he can set guys up..he can play LW and C, he can play a checking or scoring role...if i had to rank guys id have him ahead of Staal...

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
LaLaLaprise said:
Bouchard is a poor skater...that will hold him back...he is skilled but he also played on Picard-Hoopers wing...Breault was left to center the 2nd line...

Looking at stats, Bouchard is better...but ive watched these 2 since Midget hockey...Breault has more pure skill, and is a much better skater. I feel his game will translate to the NHL better, but its just an opinion :)

Definately, Breault is a world class skater. Although I don't feel Bouchard's skating will hold him back. He's a great stickhandler and looks good coming up the ice with a head of steam. I think there's a difference with Bouchard and say someone with poor hockey sense in that Francois has good in game hockey speed. He's kinda like Peter Mueller in that regard. He has the intangible kind that you can't clock...meaning he won't slow down with the puck on his stick and can think a step or two ahead making him just as fast in games as pure burners. I'm not sure about Breault's hockey IQ, what do you think of his natural feel for the game? With my limited viewing of him, Rico Fata seemed to pop into my head.

All that said, you're probably much more informed than I on these Q guys.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
KzooShark said:
Without knowing much of anything about the other defensemen you mentioned, I'd imagine that Frank is one of those thrown out 7th round picks where they see that he's a 240 pound defensemen that likes to hit people through glass and figure he's a project on everything else and maybe they'll get lucky and he'll learn how to do well, all the other things.

He was Western's best actual defenseman last season as a freshman. Granted that's like being voted "Coolest person in the A/V club" in high school with the porous defensive system that's been run in Kalamazoo for 7 years straight now, but who knows.

I agree with you about being one of Western's best defensemen (yes, I saw Western about four times this year. I also like Ryan Mahrle too). As I mentioned on the Coyotes board, I believe he was drafted because of his size and his love of the rough stuff. Aside from those two aspects there wasn't anything that really wowed me about Chris this year. The other guys I mentioned while they may not be as big as and/or as punishing as Chris is, IMO they all possess more overall skill and better skating ability than Chris does. This is not to say that I think Chris will turn out to be a complete bust. I hope he is successful in the pros later on. This all said, I think there's going to be alot more pressure on Chris now that he's been drafted to improve his weaknesses and be more than just a punishing presence on Western's blueline. Plus, as I'm sure you're very aware of if you followed Broncos hockey this year, that the team has to do (and hopefully will be) better this upcoming season.

Jacky: I have to correct you on something. Unless I'm missing something here, Mike was eligible. He's an '86 and there were two 86-borns that I can think off of the top my head who were drafted: Nick Dodge out of Clarkson and Chad Johnson of UAF.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Balej's Dance said:
Definately, Breault is a world class skater. Although I don't feel Bouchard's skating will hold him back. He's a great stickhandler and looks good coming up the ice with a head of steam. I think there's a difference with Bouchard and say someone with poor hockey sense in that Francois has good in game hockey speed. He's kinda like Peter Mueller in that regard. He has the intangible kind that you can't clock...meaning he won't slow down with the puck on his stick and can think a step or two ahead making him just as fast in games as pure burners. I'm not sure about Breault's hockey IQ, what do you think of his natural feel for the game? With my limited viewing of him, Rico Fata seemed to pop into my head.

All that said, you're probably much more informed than I on these Q guys.

I wouldn"t say im more informed, im wrong a lot lol :)

Hockey IQ is tough to judge, its not like you can see it, like someone's skating.

Bouchard does play smart, and i feel he will be a good pro, but Breault in round 7...something is up...there were questions about his attitude, but hes still a young kid..

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
Maxwell, Williams, Shutron all have bigtime steal potential. The surprises for me were those three slipping so far and Ryan McDonough going undrafted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->