Biggest steals, surprises and disappointments of the draft? [2006]

PEli*

Anaheim with Swan. As a Halifax homer, take my thoughts with a grain of salt, of course. I think that minus the freak injuries this year, he would have been in the 20-30 range.

I was surprised that Clutterbuck and Marchand went as late as they did but what do I know?

Reactions: Leaves34

Bam Beet*

Wasn't Nigel Williams projected 12th once? This could possibly be a steal.

Bruinster*

PEli said:
Anaheim with Swan. As a Halifax homer, take my thoughts with a grain of salt, of course. I think that minus the freak injuries this year, he would have been in the 20-30 range.

I was surprised that Clutterbuck and Marchand went as late as they did but what do I know?

I'm glad the Bruins take Marchand he was absolutely incredible at the Memorial cup.

Jaysfanatic*

Alexander the Great said:
I think NJ picked up steals in the 2nd and 3rd round. The two Russians have top two line potentials

The HF writer seems to dislike Vasyunov.

PEli*

Bruinster said:
I'm glad the Bruins take Marchand he was absolutely incredible at the Memorial cup.

He's a great talent in the clutch and a real pain to play against. Boston is going to like him and friend Andrew Bodnarchuk. They just grabbed Bodnarchuk in the 5th round at 128. Not bad at all.

James Sheppard, Ryan Hillier, Brad Marchand and Andrew Bodnarchuk all grew up together and still train together in Halifax during the offseasons. All four played key roles on their QMJHL teams and are all drafted on the same day. Very cool.

Randall Graves*

I have to say I am very surprised that Williams fell as far as he did. Very nice gamble for the Avs to take if you ask me..

On Axis

Mad Vlad
Mar 27, 2006
I'm suprised Williams fell to the 51st pick. I thought he was a first round staple. I wonder what the reasons were for not selecting him earlier.

A little off-topic, but has Anisimov been taken yet? If he hasn't, that might would be a surprise fall. I thought he would be second round for sure.

OilerOlli*

Steals = Vasyunov, Joensuu, Anisimov, Forney, Gawlik, Ma. Müller and Juutilainen (if anybody draft them)
Dissapointment = The Oilers

poeman

To Win The One Ring
Mar 8, 2006
def the anismov pick... he was pre ranked 14th and the 2nd best offensive player in the draft

On Axis

Mad Vlad
Mar 27, 2006
Leslie Treff said:
Anisimov was taken by the Rangers in the second round.

Okay, you can scratch that idea then.

I also forgot about Forney. I am suprised Forney fell to the 80th pick, I thought he would be early to mid second round. It looks like the Thrashers got a good pick in him.

KH1

Le Golie said:
The Islanders got two highly rated and well known wildcards in Joensuu and Marcinko.
But I think that the Isles best pick so far may have been Rhett Rakhshani in the 4th round. I've got a very good hunch about him, he's supposed to have excellent offensive skills and a pretty rough game. I like what I read.

Ben Maxwell and Nigel Williams look like they could be huge steals. I have no idea what caused Williams to plummet--maybe he really is cross-eyed? :dunno:

justdanickoftime*

oskar osala in the fourth round for the caps and max lacroix in the fifth round, big steals, and i think the caps had the best draft so far.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
Surprised that White and Clutterbuck went that low, is it due to lack of speed?

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Viktor Stahlberg

It has been said he's a cross between Viktor Kozlov, Eric Staal, and Aki Berg. What isn't to like? :sarcasm:

Bobby Hughes has a lot of offensive potential and he slipped a bit. I would love to see him work out for Carolina.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I like the Hawks pick of Juutilainen in the 6th round, but I wonder why he fell so far.

Call me a homer, but I think Strait in the third is good value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad