Edmonton
Vancouver?
Chicago?

Rest of NHL.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
If we’re talking totality then it’s either NY or Toronto but in terms of per capita it’s probably one of the those central Canadian cities or Montreal. Ppl in Toronto have far too many entertainment options that a lot of ppl here simply don’t give a crap about hockey. The leafs lost the millennial and gen Z group with all their suckage in the last 20 or so years, and the raptors doing so well as to winning the title pushes a lot of ppl towards the NBA. Toronto’s immigration pop is very high as well and the majority of immigrants are more interested in sports like basketball and soccer (European football) compared to hockey

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
The only way Toronto loses this would be leafs hate
Not really.

Per Capita Edmonton/Winnipeg/Calgary are much more into hockey than Toronto.

The only reason people think Toronto is the "Hockey Mecca" is because it's the largest city between those 4 by far. Go to one of those three cities during playoff time or when the team is doing well and you will see that.

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
Tampa Bay is not even a city.

Neither is Carolina.
Latest Nielsen DMA Rankings | Lyons Broadcast PR

Tampa Bay Refers to the Tampa Metro area, which is one of the largest in the US. At least the lightning are actually IN tampa. There are plenty of popular teams in all sports whose arenas aren't even in the City limits, or are named after an area. Tampa may not be a traditional hockey market, but absolutely is not a "small market" in the general sense. Hence why the bolts advertise and promote a TON to try and gain more of that market

ThatsSoSlavin

Aug 23, 2018
Not really.

Per Capita Edmonton/Winnipeg/Calgary are much more into hockey than Toronto.

The only reason people think Toronto is the "Hockey Mecca" is because it's the largest city between those 4 by far. Go to one of those three cities during playoff time or when the team is doing well and you will see that.

Lmfao and if Toronto is doing well during playoff time we won’t be going’s insane here? We’re a huge city with the second highest NHL revenue. People pay those RIDICULOUS prices because Toronto is a hockey town (we’re stupid but none the less fans). If they weren’t fans our tickets wouldn’t be so damn expensive that half the city can’t go to the game

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Lmfao and if Toronto is doing well during playoff time we won’t be going’s insane here? We’re a huge city with the second highest NHL revenue. People pay those RIDICULOUS prices because Toronto is a hockey town (we’re stupid but none the less fans). If they weren’t fans our tickets wouldn’t be so damn expensive that half the city can’t go to the game
Definitely not as crazy as those 3, you should get out of the bubble sometime and see for yourself.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

I thought Toronto was heavily corporate these days. Corporations will pay for the tickets, fans do not.

In terms of truly crazy, passionate fans I do not think anything tops the culture of Montreal.

Toronto comes across largely as being loud when times are good to ensure everyone else knows it too.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
2019-2020 NHL Attendance - National Hockey League - ESPN
Love burning you and your lack of knowledge.

Scotiabank Arena, formerly Air Canada Centre, is a multi-purpose arena located on Bay Street ... Capacity · Hockey: 18,800 (20,270 with standing room) ;)

Burned alright. You're showing me a link that has Toronto at 103+% capacity. Montreal at 98.7% :shakehead

Also, this from last night...against Tampa no less. Not good.

Ken Campbell@THNKenCampbell

Strange night in the NHL. Four of the five Canadian teams that played at home failed to sell out. Winnipeg, Calgary, Vancouver and Montreal below capacity. Toronto sold out. Huge attendance problems in Ottawa. Not good for the NHL when Canadian teams struggle at the gate.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Montréal fans have mellowed over the years. It wasn't too long ago that a first round playoff match would lead to vandalism/heavy police presence.

It's still Montréal, though.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Burned alright. You're showing me a link that has Toronto at 103+% capacity. Montreal at 98.7% :shakehead

Also, this from last night...against Tampa no less. Not good.

Ken Campbell@THNKenCampbell

Strange night in the NHL. Four of the five Canadian teams that played at home failed to sell out. Winnipeg, Calgary, Vancouver and Montreal below capacity. Toronto sold out. Huge attendance problems in Ottawa. Not good for the NHL when Canadian teams struggle at the gate.
Well maybe they should do something about it then. Having "Well it's Canada" as your business plan isn't full-proof. Lower your prices, don't be incompetent, etc;.

This is probably a good thing tbh.

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
I'm talking about town ratio (doesn't have to be for their own team). Like if 1000 people out of 1500 bleed hockey in Town A, and 3000 people out of 20000 bleed hockey in Town B, then Town A wins because best ratio.

Is this why Buffalo was left off of the list

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Toronto or Montreal I'd think.

Buffalo or Pittsburgh should be options. They consistently clean up TV-wise IIRC. Boston is Pats/Red Sox foremost, but there is a real hockey vibe in that region.

Pains me to say it, and maybe it's just a Cup bump, but I'm from DC and a ton of casual sports fans follow the Caps pretty closely. Which is a little atypical for an American city. They have a really good building too.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Edmonton is the true mecca of hockey.

Toronto is winning this due to sheer size of the city.

Edmonton and Montreal have an insane rabid fanbase unlike any other in the NHL.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Right now I'd say it is probably Toronto. But once the novelty of having an NHL team wears off, you gotta go with Montreal

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
This "Toronto is a hockey mecca" myth remains mostly because of legacy things like the HHOF being located there and both major Canadian sports networks (who are obligated to push hockey). Of course, there's a big fan base for the Leafs across southwestern Ontario. But people claiming Toronto the city is a hockey town clearly have not spent much time there over the past 15 or so years.

I'd be willing to bet there just as many basketball or soccer fans per capita in the city of Toronto than there are hockey fans. Toronto now more than ever is a city of immigrants, with most folks coming from countries where hockey is simply not a thought. Trends in minor hockey registration in the GTA and SW Ontario have been trending down for many years now, while Basketball was trending up even before the Raptors championship run.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad