Biggest hockey town right now

Which city bleeds hockey the most right now

• Total voters

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Which city has the biggest fans & bleeds hockey the most these days.

P.S. I know Carolina is not a city, but I meant Raleigh and surroundings for the Hurricanes team.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I would say Montreal if it is hockey in general, probably TO if you are talking about NHL team specific.

Either one would be a fine choice and they beat out Calgary, Edmonton and Winnipeg based on size but I would put those 3 at the top of the list if you were doing some sort of per capita type of assessment.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
I would say Montreal if it is hockey in general, probably TO if you are talking about NHL team specific.

Either one would be a fine choice and they beat out Calgary, Edmonton and Winnipeg based on size but I would put those 3 at the top of the list if you were doing some sort of per capita type of assessment.
I'm talking about town ratio (doesn't have to be for their own team). Like if 1000 people out of 1500 bleed hockey in Town A, and 3000 people out of 20000 bleed hockey in Town B, then Town A wins because best ratio.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Voted Carolina for the lols.

As for a real answer, I don’t know who has the “biggest fans”, but I would say Winnipeg, Toronto, and Montreal are the 3 most hockey crazy markets if I had to guess.

Reactions: Heldig

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
When you go to Edmonton/Calgary/Winnipeg in my opinion they seem a lot more of a hockey town than Toronto, especially when those teams are doing well.

Toronto is huge though compared to those cities, so maybe that's why there is always so much talk about them being the "Hockey Mecca".

I don't quite understand it

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
When you go to Edmonton/Calgary/Winnipeg in my opinion they seem a lot more of a hockey town than Toronto, especially when those teams are doing well.

Toronto is huge though compared to those cities, so maybe that's why there is always so much talk about them being the "Hockey Mecca".

I don't quite understand it
There is no doubt that Winnipeg, Edmonton, and Calgary are bigger hockey towns on a per capita basis than Toronto is. (similarly, Yorkton, Peterborough, and Summerside are bigger hockey towns on a per capita basis than Winnipeg, Edmonton, and Calgary are).

Many people consider Toronto the centre of the hockey universe partly because it's Canada's largest city, by far; partly because the Leafs have more fans than any other team in the country, and are one of the country's 2 O6 teams; and partly because the large majority of the national media - including the sports media - is located there.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
I've never liked Toronto. I don't like Toronto. I will never like Toronto, but I can't deny that their city bleeds hockey. That place would go absolute bonkers if they won the big one. Their arena is also incredibly loud. Their significant playoff goals would be more bone chilling if they didn't have Hall and Oates for their f***ing goal song.

Reactions: Julio Jones

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
There is no doubt that Winnipeg, Edmonton, and Calgary are bigger hockey towns on a per capita basis than Toronto is. (similarly, Yorkton, Peterborough, and Summerside are bigger hockey towns on a per capita basis than Winnipeg, Edmonton, and Calgary are).

Many people consider Toronto the centre of the hockey universe partly because it's Canada's largest city, by far; partly because the Leafs have more fans than any other team in the country, and are one of the country's 2 O6 teams; and partly because the large majority of the national media - including the sports media - is located there.

Agreed on all accounts. I'd add that Southern Ontario is a hockey factory as well.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Nice of you to include St. Louis, but this has to be Toronto.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I'm talking about town ratio (doesn't have to be for their own team). Like if 1000 people out of 1500 bleed hockey in Town A, and 3000 people out of 20000 bleed hockey in Town B, then Town A wins because best ratio.

Winnipeg is definitely up there for the 'per capita' measurement (and maybe Edmonton/Calgary, can't really speak to those). Toronto has the gross numbers but there are big chunks of people there that aren't hockey fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad