GDT: Biggest Game Of The Year (Birds that don't fly vs Canes)

Porvari

Rekisteröitynyt käyttäjä
Feb 19, 2010
Why do you guys think that the Canes are a likeable team? I consistently hear this from other fans.. hoos.mix.of high end young euro/NA players or what?

To a Finn, the presence of Aho and Teräväinen makes this team incredibly likeable. They are probably the two most fun-to-watch Finnish players since Esa Tikkanen, and to see them do their thing on the same line is just a gift.

To use a soccer reference, their movement, puck control, passing and general approach to the game makes me think of Xavi and Iniesta of FC Barcelona fame.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
A programmer on "the spectrum"
hqdefault.jpg
?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Pretty much. I enjoyed the win, but there's a thought in the back of my mind ("They're still the Canes...") that prevents me of even considering a playoff spot.

Yeah, I'm still hesitant, but the team does have a different vibe to them. If they had gotten a point in St. Louis (which they should have gotten had they had even average goaltending) and 2 points against the Caps (which they easily could have), then I'd be more bullish about them.

As Hank said though, if we don't get better play from Darling, it's going to be tough sledding.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
More than anything I want to be in a WC spot or within a couple of points at the TDL to see what sort of balls GMRF actually has. He can go f*** himself if we hear "there weren't any options that made sense". Obviously if he stands pat and we still make the playoffs then I will go f*** myself.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Pretty much. I enjoyed the win, but there's a thought in the back of my mind ("They're still the Canes...") that prevents me of even considering a playoff spot.

Yeah, I two game losing streak coupled with a two game winning streak by either the Isle or the Pens and we are back out of the playoff picture. I'll celebrate when I get my playoff tickets.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012

don't blame you at all

Still it's hard to not feel like they've finally turned the corner. So many of these guys are still 20-24 years old and still learning how to play an NHL style game, dealing with the daily grind, learning how to speak English, etc.

I'm pretty sure the goaltending isn't good enough to make us a legit player yet, that's my real hangup right now.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
More than anything I want to be in a WC spot or within a couple of points at the TDL to see what sort of balls GMRF actually has. He can go **** himself if we hear "there weren't any options that made sense". Obviously if he stands pat and we still make the playoffs then I will go **** myself.

For me it depends on what it takes. My view is the 1st round pick and Necas are completely off limits in a rental type situation, especially if we are barely holding on to the last WC spot. I realize there are more options than just rentals, but for reference, here is a list of some of the UFAs that might be available based on the assumption that their team may not be competing for a playoff spot. A thing I forget sometimes is that we will be getting Stempniak back. He's streaky, but he's been a 40 point player the last few years.

Sedin's
Plekanec
E. Kane
Filppula
Backlund
Stajan
Vrbata
Maroon
Vanek
Versteeg
Jagr

Goalies
Chad Johnson
Antti Ranta

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
For me it depends on what it takes. My view is the 1st round pick and Necas are completely off limits in a rental type situation, especially if we are barely holding on to the last WC spot. I realize there are more options than just rentals, but for reference, here is a list of some of the UFAs that might be available based on the assumption that their team may not be competing for a playoff spot. A thing I forget sometimes is that we will be getting Stempniak back. He's streaky, but he's been a 40 point player the last few years.

Sedin's
Plekanec
E. Kane
Filppula
Backlund
Stajan
Vrbata
Maroon
Vanek
Versteeg
Jagr

Goalies
Chad Johnson
Antti Ranta

I'd be more interested in guys like Hoffman or Patches if we can get them at the right price, instead of throwing assets down the drain at an upcoming UFA.

Necas is the only prospect/pick I'm not willing to move at the moment unless it's to acquire John Taveres.

And Stempniak should hopefully give us a nice little boost.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
You know that corner we've been waiting for?

I have a feeling these boys just turned it tonight.

Last night, I wondered who would say it first, and you weren't even in the top 10 candidates.

The last piece to fix is Darling.

If he can't find his game, I think it will be tough sledding. We can't expect '06 Ward for the rest of the season.

This is 100% absolutely the truth. We already know that Ward can go on a 10-game stretch only to fall back to Earth. There's no reason to expect this stretch will not end, and when it does, the team needs to fall back onto something solid. Darling is nowhere near solid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad