GDT: Biggest Game Of The Year (Birds that don't fly vs Canes)

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I have to just laugh when I think again of how Leafs93 was claiming that Aho's skating is his weakness. And the same guy has been saying the same about Eeli Tolvanen whom is also a very good skater, although not on Aho's level. I have been following Aho's play intensively since the season when he scored the FEL championship winning goal in overtime as a 17 year old kid. I could see already then that he is a very special skater. Very fast, but most of all crazy agile.

The thing about him that many people didn't realize then and many don't realize even now, is that he is such a smart player that he rarely uses his top speed. It is practically impossible to do consistently very smart plays if you are constantly blazing at full speed. This a problem for many players in nowadays hockey. Pretty good examples of such mindless blazing have been Nikolaj Ehlers and Jesse Puljujärvi, whom both are magnificent skaters, but they both are having way too often troubles with making smart plays when they are constantly going with their full speed.

It is such a joy to watch Aho play. And I think we have only seen a scratch from the surface of his real talent. As I have said many times before, he can very well become a player like prime Zetterberg, maybe even better, who knows? Anyway he is an absolutely special talent and you Canes fans are really lucky to have him.

I'm also extremely happy about how Teräväinen is playing! He is also a great talent, and playing with Aho and Staal has been really good for his confidence. I like also so many other players on the Canes, like Skinner, Staal, Slavin, Pesce, Faulk, Hanifin, Ward, etc. Just in general a very likeable team. I so much hope that they will get to the playoffs and will do well there too! GO CANES GO! :towel::yo:

Last edited:

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Why do you guys think that the Canes are a likeable team? I consistently hear this from other fans.. hoos.mix.of high end young euro/NA players or what?

Well, we haven't seen a playoff appearance in 9 years. Haven't held a #1 overall pick nor tanked for one, nor had 4 in 6 years, which also meant we never got a chance to draft McDavid/Eichel/Matthews. Haven't had a "bad guy" on the team that everyone else hates. A mostly quiet team that gets little attention and also doesn't seek it.

Trust me, if this team ever saw the likes of 2002, 2006, and 2009 again; we will hear the whining about a "southern team" beating up all those poor, deserving northern teams.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Why do you guys think that the Canes are a likeable team? I consistently hear this from other fans.. hoos.mix.of high end young euro/NA players or what?
Well, I at least have liked the Canes right from the start, since they started in the NHL. Probably part of it has been some pretty good European players being part of the team, but I have also loved the great attitude of many of the Canes North American players. I really liked Brindamour, Cole and Whitney for example. And I have been a fan of Ward since the Canes miraculously won the Stanley Cup in 2006. Ron Francis has also been one of my all time favorite players, and I was following his career pretty intensively already from his days as a Whaler, and then later as a Penguin. It is so great to have him as the GM of the Canes! One of the smartest hockey players ever, and probably also one of the smartest GM's ever too. At least I very much hope the results with the Canes will prove it in the future.

Raleigh seems also like a quite sympathetic city and area. At least the attitude of the Canes fans has always impressed me. Friendly and not so full of themselves and cocky, as many other team's fans unfortunately seem to be. Anyway my definite favorite team's in the NHL are the Canes, the Jets and the Wild. But honestly of these three, I would still hope the most the Stanley Cup for the Canes. Hopefully it will happen sooner or later. Preferably sooner... :thumbu:

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
Well, I at least have liked the Canes right from the start, since they started in the NHL. Probably part of it has been some pretty good European players being part of the team, but I have also loved the great attitude of many of the Canes North American players. I really liked Brindamour, Cole and Whitney for example. And I have been a fan of Ward since the Canes miraculously won the Stanley Cup in 2006. Rion Francis has also been ole of my all time favorite players, and I was following his career pretty intensively already from his days as a Whaler, and tien later as a Penguin. It is so great to have hik as the GM of the Canes! One of the smartest hockey players ever, and probably also ole of the smartest GM's ever too. At least I very much hope the results with the Canes will prove it in the future.

Raleigh seems also like a quite sympathetic city and area. At least the attitude of the Canes fans has always impressed me. Friendly and not so full of themselves and cocky, as many other team's fans unfortunately seen to be. Anyway my definite favorite team's in the NHL are the Canes, the Jets and the Wild. But honestly of these three, I would still hope the most the Stanley Cup for the Canes. Hopefully it will happen sooner or later. Preferably sooner... :thumbu:

Great post.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
The upcoming games against the red hot Bruins & Bolts will be very telling if this team is a playoff team or not. My god they looked like it tonight, but if they can get a win on the road against one of these teams I'm feeling super good about this team.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Isles lose in regulation, Devils losing to the Stars, bitchslapping the team managed by the guy most responsible for our decade of misery?

1254172884282.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad