Biggest disappointment in the non-PO teams?

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
Even with one spot open in W2 in the EC, it's safe at this point to think about the biggest disappointment among the non-PO teams.

My top four biggest disappointments:

4. St. Louis
3. Calgary
2. Minnesota
1. New Jersey

2-4 are almost interchangeable but the biggest disappointment has to be the devils. They were picked to be SC contenders and even as late as the ASG were expected to get their act together to make a run for the POs. It's shocking to see them back in as a lottery team.

Who are your PO disappointments?

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Even with one spot open in W2 in the EC, it's safe at this point to think about the biggest disappointment among the non-PO teams.

My top four biggest disappointments:

4. St. Louis
3. Calgary
2. Minnesota
1. New Jersey

2-4 are almost interchangeable but the biggest disappointment has to be the devils. They were picked to be SC contenders and even as late as the ASG were expected to get their act together to make a run for the POs. It's shocking to see them back in as a lottery team.

Who are your PO disappointments?
You said "in". So now that you've listed 4 teams, maybe tell us what's in those teams: why they came up short, how they are trending into the near future, etc.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
The Blues a disappointment? They are like 12-5 in OT, had the luckiest injury situation of any team and got rock solid goaltending, had a breakthrough year for their 1C and their best defenseman also had a great year. They also had a handful of impact rookies at LW, D and G.

And they still were overall just tough to watch, that is coming from a true die hard. This was a maddening and very unlikeable team. The GM is the most overrated in the NHL.

At no point were there real playoff expectations for this group. Our GM thinks the way you manage a great defense is you let the true #1 walk but lock up a mostly aging group of 2-5 dmen to long term deals, it is hapless. But he is Old Boys Club safe

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
I'm pretty bummed that one of (or both of) Washington and Pittsburgh will miss the playoffs.

I want to see more from Crosby and Ovie. It seems like when the 90s greats were in their twilight all the fans were obsessing over them at the end. Lids, Selanne, Sakic, Bourque, Brodeur. I feel like they were given so much attention when they rode off into the sunset. But today's stars? Crosby is still a point/game all star, and Ovie is smashing goal records. But it's like the average fan ignores them or lives to discredit them. Not just HF, but anything I read or people I talk to.

It's pretty great that we can watch these guys right now. You'll tell your (grand)kids about seeing them play.

Last edited:

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Pretty disappointed in the Wild and that we don’t get an opportunity to see healthy Kaprizov and JEE in the playoffs. Injuries, depth, and goaltending did the team in, but the youth and the core players all did their part which is at least encouraging.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Wasn't Ottawa supposed to be a possible playoff team this year? What about Buffalo?

I'm not sure either team made any real progress.
I don't think anyone outside of Ottawa thought that they'd be a good team. Their management tried to rush their rebuild and it's obviously not been working. A high pick this year will definitely help them.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Jersey is the obvious pick so I'll go with someone else. I really hoped the Sabres would take the next step this year, their team on paper was looking pretty decent other than goaltending. If 6K broke out at the start of the year, I wonder if things would've been different.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Ottawa and Buffalo. Neither took any steps this year, and we have been waiting for them to take the next step for what, the last 4 years at least?

tfwnogf

Dec 15, 2013
1. Buffalo - no playoffs for what 17 years? yeah.
2. Ottawa - been nothing but misery since karlsson left, this year was supposed to be the year they finally make it.
3. New Jersey - took a big step back. yeah they had injuries, brunette is gone and they may have overachieved last year, but still.
4. Seattle - similar to jersey, overachieved but still. from beating the defending champs last year to this year, what a dramatic fall from grace.
5. Philadelphia - ok nobody expected them to make the playoffs but they were there for so much of the season, hurts to see them fall out of it.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Calgary and St. Louis were supposed to be mediocre, Minny as well. Buffalo's actually seen some improvements (goalie situation, overall defence, Peterka), and kept too much dead weight (Skinner, Okposo) for too long. Senators were always an iffy shot.

Reactions: Kulich Man

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Calgary and St. Louis were supposed to be mediocre, Minny as well. Buffalo's actually seen some improvements (goalie situation, overall defence, Peterka), and kept too much dead weight (Skinner, Okposo) for too long. Senators were always an iffy shot.
Any of Nash, Min, Cal, STL were coin flips to make the PO. So, no massive disappointment that any missed.

NJ was expected to have broken through and become a consistent PO team. That's really the only real disappointment to me.

Ott, Buf, were expected to be in the race like Det, but floundered early and played catchup the whole season, not unlike the Canucks the past 3 seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad