Biggest disappointment in the non-PO teams?

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
Gotta be Buffalo - 13 years is it?

I dont care what NJ did last year, 13 years, with arguably one of the most talented teams in the league this year, no playoffs, again, is a joke.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I don't think anyone outside of Ottawa thought that they'd be a good team. Their management tried to rush their rebuild and it's obviously not been working. A high pick this year will definitely help them.
How did they “rush” the rebuild? 7 years ago without playoffs and a shit ton of high draft picks

Gotta be Buffalo - 13 years is it?

I dont care what NJ did last year, 13 years, with arguably one of the most talented teams in the league this year, no playoffs, again, is a joke.
You sure about that talent remark?

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Devils are probably the most voted for but id say Buffalo.

Im sure their remaining few fans had some high hopes entering this year.

Point leader has 59 points
Dahlin, a former 1.1 pick, is average not great
Tage Thompson regressed

The last WC spot is basically a pick em amongst 4 non playoff worthy teams .. and Buffalo cant even join that tier when their "core" should be entering their peak.

They just suck up, down and sideways.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
This is New Jersey AINEC.

An absolutely horrific season by that team relative to expectations going into the season. Their fans should boo management out of The Pebble.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
NJ for sure but Buffalo and Ottawa not far behind.

Ottawa regress for more then 10 points and supposedly they were legitimate playoff contender according to their fans.

Poor buffalo fans honestly, it's crazy going 13 years without playoffs as a sports fan...

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
New Jersey and Ottawa

The rest are about as bad as expected

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Blues have between 5-10 more points than they were projected to have. More annoyed that they are the first team out of the playoffs than I would be that they just missed and had a pick between 8-12.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Blues have between 5-10 more points than they were projected to have. More annoyed that they are the first team out of the playoffs than I would be that they just missed and had a pick between 8-12.

Yeah, they've had an extremely weird year. Everything clicked but unfortunately the team wasn't even medium enough to jump to the playoffs, they jumped from likely lottery to just missing the playoffs.

30th in xG, Corsi, Fenwick, xGDF

6th in GD above x, 5th in GA above x, 7th in SOGSv%

They got goalie carried a lot this year

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
I really expected the Sens to do more. Like a lot more. Devils, as well. Same with Sabres

I'd go:

3. Sabres
2. Devils
1. Sens

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Seems like everyone agrees with New Jersey being the biggest disappointment. Ottawa is a close 2nd, still haven't even competed for a wild card spot.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Devils and Sens had the league's worst goaltending, plus some bad injury luck this year, so no surprise either team missed the playoffs.

Sabres would be my answer. All their top guys took a step back this year. They have to hope Granato was the problem, because it certainly wasn't in net this year.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
had higher expectation on the Sens, thought they were probably be a PO team. Jersey also underachieved IMO. But the Wild is the most disappointing team IMO.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Seattle and Jersey are 2 disappointments.

But the hot potato that's the final Eastern conference Wildcard race is like the saddest thing I've ever seen.

Washington holding on with a 3-2-5 record in their last 10
Being chased by the Wings who are hot off of a 7 game losing streak.
And Flyers with a 2-6-2 to fall out after a promising start.

Crosby is like the only player on 4 of these sad sack teams that seems to want to be in the playoffs I guess.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I feel like Minnesota has been overachieving for years now. I give the team credit because I don’t know how many teams are that competitive with that much dead cap.

I personally never seen it with Flames or Seattle either. Seattle overachieved last year.

I feel like the west is pretty much what it should be. I think Vancouver has overachieved but they are still clearly a playoff team.

East is similar. I think NJ is the only team that crashed who should of been higher. I think Brunette didn’t get the respect he deserved in hindsight.

I always thought it was going to be hard for the likes of Detroit, Ottawa, Buffalo to make it, so its not a surprise to me. Detroit might get there though.

BurnabyJoe7

Not an Avalanche fan
Apr 12, 2019
NJ are the biggest disappointment and I would have Minnesota, Seattle and Pittsburgh as the next 3. NJ and Minnesota are self explanatory: just awful years for both clubs especially after last year.

Seattle based on reaching the second round last year and being a relatively young team. They overachieved last year but I think many expected them to be at least a WC team this year with everyone getting another year of experience under their belt. Looks like they have a solid goalie now which makes them missing even more surprising.

Pittsburgh because of their trade for Karlsson. Dubas is just digging a deeper hole for that team. If you can't make the playoffs in the first year after trading for EK, good luck doing it for the remainder of his contract along with the contracts of the other dinos you have. That team doesn't have much to look forward to in the near future and Dubas has extended that phase.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Even with one spot open in W2 in the EC, it's safe at this point to think about the biggest disappointment among the non-PO teams.

My top four biggest disappointments:

4. St. Louis
3. Calgary
2. Minnesota
1. New Jersey

2-4 are almost interchangeable but the biggest disappointment has to be the devils. They were picked to be SC contenders and even as late as the ASG were expected to get their act together to make a run for the POs. It's shocking to see them back in as a lottery team.

Who are your PO disappointments?
How are the flames a disappointment? It was pretty obvious they were going to suck. They started selling off players before the season began. If anything there are a lot of positives. Sharangovich and Zary look great. Kadri and Markstrom rebounded

Pretty tough to be good when you lose Hanifin, Tanev, and Zadorov on defence.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Even with one spot open in W2 in the EC, it's safe at this point to think about the biggest disappointment among the non-PO teams.

My top four biggest disappointments:

4. St. Louis
3. Calgary
2. Minnesota
1. New Jersey

2-4 are almost interchangeable but the biggest disappointment has to be the devils. They were picked to be SC contenders and even as late as the ASG were expected to get their act together to make a run for the POs. It's shocking to see them back in as a lottery team.

Who are your PO disappointments?
How are Blues a disappointment?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad