Biggest difference between this year's Jets and last year's Jets?

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
I think missing Stastny was huge. Hayes is alright, but not on the same tier.

The Jets arguably get by St Louis if they still have him. Injuries to Buff and Josh also obviously hurt as I don’t think both guys were at a 100%.

St. Louis was just a nightmare matchup for any club, they have been absolutely dominant since the new year.

Big changes aren’t needed, perhaps the coach - but it seems with Trouba possibly wanting out, and Myers set to test FA... where does the defensive help come from?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
the Jets blew more 2 goal leads than any team in NHL history. This was a very arrogant team this year that would sit on leads and lose focus. They also thought they could coast into the playoffs and flick the switch. This has nothing to do with teams taking the Jets more seriously. The Jets were playing at last years level until Christmas, and then they got bored. After game 6 all I heard was excuse after excuse from the team.

Maurice as a tactical coach is average at best and is a horrible motivator. He was given an abundance of talent to work with, especially on offense an failed. I mean, Patrick Laine is on your second line. Think about that. Laine is arguably the 2nd best pure goal scorer in the league behind Ovechkin... most teams would kill to have a player that lethal on their top line.... Jets were so deep he was playing on the 2nd line for most of the season.

Maurice has to go.

Is it fact or hyperbole that Jets blew more 2 goal leads than any team in NHL history?

I don't agree that they played at last year's level until Christmas. They hadn't played a 60 minute game at Christmas. I'm not sure that you have correctly identified the problem but I think that was a part of it.

I have been inclined to support Maurice most of the time. At least luke warm support. I've always been a little puzzled by some of his decisions but that would be the case with any coach. I don't like being too quick to fire coaches. The new coach is often little or no better. But I think Maurice's time has expired here.

I don't know exactly how much the fault is his but I think it is time for a new voice and a new face.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Is it fact or hyperbole that Jets blew more 2 goal leads than any team in NHL history?

I don't agree that they played at last year's level until Christmas. They hadn't played a 60 minute game at Christmas. I'm not sure that you have correctly identified the problem but I think that was a part of it.

I have been inclined to support Maurice most of the time. At least luke warm support. I've always been a little puzzled by some of his decisions but that would be the case with any coach. I don't like being too quick to fire coaches. The new coach is often little or no better. But I think Maurice's time has expired here.

I don't know exactly how much the fault is his but I think it is time for a new voice and a new face.

I don’t think he’s a terrible coach, but a new voice is needed once in a while.

The list of options out there though, is not pretty.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Injuries on the back end played a role. As did the execution on a day-to-day basis. Helle not being as strong to start as well.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Jordan Binnington.

It seems to be more common now that teams fluctuate from having a great year followed by a so-so year even with (mostly) the same roster. Hell, Tampa didn't make the playoffs a couple seasons ago and were basically written off, make it again and considered contenders quickly, **** the bed this year and probably next year will win the cup. Nashville was in the Finals 2 years ago, considered the ultimate contenders the year after, this year looks like a first round bust.

Whether that is league parity, other teams figuring out the systems and applying it the next season, weight of expectations etc etc I don't know. Probably a bit of everything.

Toxic fanbases, impatient fans and media over-analysis of slumps etc aren't helping much. 30 years ago we were ecstatic if the Jets made the playoffs 2 years in a row. Hell, we would have been 5 years ago. Social media and access to way too much information is making just about everything unenjoyable for all parties involved.

Lot's of things to be encouraged about, especially how Laine stepped up his game in the playoffs.

Better luck next year. I have grass to reseed in my backyard and chicken wings that need to be BBQed. Enjoy the summer everyone and don't let hockey get you down too much!

Not Binnington. When they got lots of shots on goal he faded. In an elimination game, trailing by 1 the Jets managed just 6 SOG through 2 periods. That is just incredible! Outshot 15-1 in the 2nd. In an elimination game. When score effects should result in Jets getting more SOG, not less. Incredible is not a big enough word for that. I don't have the word I need. That has nothing to do with Binnington. His sv% for 6 games - .908, Helle's - .913.

The rest of this post I like. After spending far too much time here I have expectations instead of hopes. Big difference. I need to adjust my mindset, and/or spend a lot less time here. I'm trying to adjust my mindset. :laugh: I like it here.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Not Binnington. When they got lots of shots on goal he faded. In an elimination game, trailing by 1 the Jets managed just 6 SOG through 2 periods. That is just incredible! Outshot 15-1 in the 2nd. In an elimination game. When score effects should result in Jets getting more SOG, not less. Incredible is not a big enough word for that. I don't have the word I need. That has nothing to do with Binnington. His sv% for 6 games - .908, Helle's - .913.

The rest of this post I like. After spending far too much time here I have expectations instead of hopes. Big difference. I need to adjust my mindset, and/or spend a lot less time here. I'm trying to adjust my mindset. :laugh: I like it here.

I had to step away from the forum for the last few games of the playoffs. I like it here to but sometimes I think the expectations are so out of whack. We all do it but the season is done now, we can reflect on the good and the bad and look towards the offseason and see what Chevy has in store for us. Hope is all we have now.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
We lost because of puck luck?

I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you didn't watch the third period of Game 5 or any of Game 6.

You have to look at the series collectively. You’re ignoring all the other games.

Game 5: you mean the game where we were up 2-0 and could’ve gone up 3-0 when Hayes accidentally knocked the puck out of the net? The game we lost by 1 goal with 15 seconds left? I will have to disagree with you and say that Game 5 could’ve gone either way. It was as close and tightly fought as it gets. It was just frustrating how it ended (especially given the amount of time left in the period).

Game 6: Blues outplayed us and won, just like we outplayed them in Game 3 and won. Even so, we lost by 1 goal, and the 2nd goal scored by the Blues probably doesn’t count if we had a challenge available. Despite the terrible play by the jets that game, it still ended up a 1 goal game (with a controversial goal by the Blues).

As for the other 2 losses: game 1 could’ve gone either way, right down to the wire with the Blues getting the lead with just over a couple mins left. Scheifele getting close to tying it at the end of the 3rd period, and Laine & Buff each with a goal post. Game 2 was tight too, both teams had the lead at different times. Another 1-goal game right down to the wire.

I’m not saying we’re just “unlucky” and that’s it, but what I mean is that it’s not purely due to bad play. This series could’ve really gone either way based on how both teams played from game 1 till the very end of game 6. It’s interesting how people will spin wins & losses. In close 1-goal games you’ll have analysts and fans pointing out all the bad plays by the losing team and focusing on all the good things the winning team did... when in reality, both teams were almost equal and one extra goal went in.

Reactions: Guffman

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don’t think he’s a terrible coach, but a new voice is needed once in a while.

The list of options out there though, is not pretty.

There are coaching possibilities beyond the usual retreads. I'm certain there is someone better than Maurice. I'm not certain we will find him but that is another story. I'd be pretty surprised if Chevy doesn't maintain a list of possible candidates. Just in case.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Injuries on the back end played a role. As did the execution on a day-to-day basis. Helle not being as strong to start as well.
I've been a believer in lack of execution being a big part in their issues. At this point though, I think it's reasonable for the coaching to share the blame in that. I'm not sure what it will take to get this team playing with more detail and greater execution. New faces will help, either on the ice or behind the bench.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I've been a believer in lack of execution being a big part in their issues. At this point though, I think it's reasonable for the coaching to share the blame in that. I'm not sure what it will take to get this team playing with more detail and greater execution. New faces will help, either on the ice or behind the bench.

We hope. Or we end up with a carousel of guys who are worse. I'm not saying that no one shares blame. Everyone shares blame. But I think as fans our first instinct is to blame the coach for everything. Guy hit a post? Coach's fault. Guy made a bad pinch? Coach's fault. Guy made a bad read? Coach's fault.

It's an easy scapegoat. Everyone hopes you make the big turnaround that NYI did with a change. But you can just as easily bring in the best coach in the universe and he can lose the room.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
There is NO difference in the Jets.
The difference was they other teams coaches knew how to adjust and beat the Jets ... too bad Maurice doesn't know how to adjust.
Maurice should have watch the Caps in the finals on how to beat Vegas. Now he can watch the Blues next series to see how you can beat the Blues.

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

Benny27

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
apparently the biggest thing to the Jets is that they got younger and more inexperienced. I don't really understand this one too well....we only lost Enstrom on D
Forwards, Stastny? Who else?

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
apparently the biggest thing to the Jets is that they got younger and more inexperienced. I don't really understand this one too well....we only lost Enstrom on D
Forwards, Stastny? Who else?

I think just because a player is in their 2nd or 3rd pro year doesn't mean they have figured out what kind of player they are or how to consistently be that player yet.

Benny27

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
I think just because a player is in their 2nd or 3rd pro year doesn't mean they have figured out what kind of player they are or how to consistently be that player yet.

True but all those guys were here last yr so really they should be taking the next step. I know we had injuries and Appleton/Lemiuex were in the lineup a lot but going into the playoffs we were almost back to where we were last season

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
True but all those guys were here last yr so really they should be taking the next step. I know we had injuries and Appleton/Lemiuex were in the lineup a lot but going into the playoffs we were almost back to where we were last season

Almost but not quite. You factor in that Morrissey wasn't 100%, and it definitely showed. Plus who knows who else. Guys like Ehlers, Connor, Laine, Roslovic, Appleton and Niku are still finding out what they can and can't do and what they need to do to continue to be effective.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
You have to look at the series collectively. You’re ignoring all the other games.

Game 5: you mean the game where we were up 2-0 and could’ve gone up 3-0 when Hayes accidentally knocked the puck out of the net? The game we lost by 1 goal with 15 seconds left? I will have to disagree with you and say that Game 5 could’ve gone either way. It was as close and tightly fought as it gets. It was just frustrating how it ended (especially given the amount of time left in the period).

Game 6: Blues outplayed us and won, just like we outplayed them in Game 3 and won. Even so, we lost by 1 goal, and the 2nd goal scored by the Blues probably doesn’t count if we had a challenge available. Despite the terrible play by the jets that game, it still ended up a 1 goal game (with a controversial goal by the Blues).

As for the other 2 losses: game 1 could’ve gone either way, right down to the wire with the Blues getting the lead with just over a couple mins left. Scheifele getting close to tying it at the end of the 3rd period, and Laine & Buff each with a goal post. Game 2 was tight too, both teams had the lead at different times. Another 1-goal game right down to the wire.

I’m not saying we’re just “unlucky” and that’s it, but what I mean is that it’s not purely due to bad play. This series could’ve really gone either way based on how both teams played from game 1 till the very end of game 6. It’s interesting how people will spin wins & losses. In close 1-goal games you’ll have analysts and fans pointing out all the bad plays by the losing team and focusing on all the good things the winning team did... when in reality, both teams were almost equal and one extra goal went in.

I understand that for some fans when their team wins, it is because of skill. When their team loses, it's due to bad luck. The Blues were better than us. For large stretches, we didn't show up. At the most important times in the series we didn't show up. We didn't show up for the third period of Game 5. Go watch it. We didn't show up. We didn't show up for Game 6. Go watch it and look how long it took us to get to 7 shots on goal. We didn't show up. It takes a ton of spin to try to gloss over those facts. Nothing to do with luck. Everything to do with our play on the ice.

rndmHockey

Apr 15, 2018
I think it was partially their expectations of how it would go. At the beginning of the season some of the younger guys were commenting on how it was hard to get going again after last season's playoff high. Bench felt quieter, momentum/drive had to be manufactured. Also how other teams played against Jets this season changed. They were getting defended harder, more aggressive checking, etc. All that changes when you go from an underdog to a contender. It takes an adjustment from young players, all things became a bit harder. I hope this season with its adversity was a huge learning experience for all of them, and they'll be back next fall with the right mindset from the beginning to the end.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I don't think there was much difference at all - except this years Jet's weren't as hungry and motivated to win, as they were last year. If you look at Game 6 vs-Blues - where they had to win--they only had 6 shots on net, in the first 2 periods --doesn't that tell you something ?? How motivated were they ?? Is this the player's fault, or the coaches, or both ??

This was definitely a case of a lack of motivation --or they were exhausted.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
There is NO difference in the Jets.
The difference was they other teams coaches knew how to adjust and beat the Jets ... too bad Maurice doesn't know how to adjust.
Maurice should have watch the Caps in the finals on how to beat Vegas. Now he can watch the Blues next series to see how you can beat the Blues.
And it took the Caps a decade to figure out how to beat anyone and get past the 1st or 2nd round no matter how dominant their teams were in the regular season.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
And it took the Caps a decade to figure out how to beat anyone and get past the 1st or 2nd round no matter how dominant their teams were in the regular season.
Losing to the SC champions 3 times is not a crime. Also other than losing 4 straight to Tampa one year in the second round the majority of their series all went to 7 games and anything can happen in game 7.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Losing to the SC champions 3 times is not a crime. Also other than losing 4 straight to Tampa one year in the second round the majority of their series all went to 7 games and anything can happen in game 7.
Still amounts to a team under achieving in the playoffs for a decade before finding their way to a cup. Will you feel better about the Jets if the Blues go onto win the cup?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad