Biggest difference between this year's Jets and last year's Jets?

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
The young Jets are not battle hardened yet -- just not mentally tough enough. They lost a couple of one goal games, and gave up games when they were up 2 goals in the 3rd period.

I don't think they were mentally tough enough to handle the mental adversity. This hopefully will come with time and experience.

I see very little difference between this years Jets and last years, other than last years Jets -- "wanted it more", and fought til the bitter end. This years Jet's mentally collapsed and gave up toward the end, against St.Louis. The Blue's wanted it more--and were willing to pay the price.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The young Jets are not battle hardened yet -- just not mentally tough enough. They lost a couple of one goal games, and gave up games when they were up 2 goals in the 3rd period.

I don't think they were mentally tough enough to handle the mental adversity. This hopefully will come with time and experience.

I see very little difference between this years Jets and last years, other than last years Jets -- "wanted it more", and fought til the bitter end. This years Jet's mentally collapsed and gave up toward the end, against St.Louis. The Blue's wanted it more--and were willing to pay the price.
The inability to grind out wins late in games and especially to hold onto leads is the most notable difference from this year's team compared to last year's team. A young team that is not yet battled hardened enough and not mentally tough enough is as good a theory as any put forward and far more plausible than some.

Reactions: GNP

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
sure ok. Doesn't really account for the vets who were pretty terrible defensively too...but ok. Not sure why all those young guys were battle-hardened enough last year and then lost it this year. But I guess its the best theory...

Reactions: Board Bard

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014

They were mentally tough (or tougher anyway) last year when they couldn't lose a third-period lead if they tried and won a game 7 in hostile territory. I think it's something else, either pressclippingitis or viral mauricology.

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Those moaning about the Jet's Corsi all season were correct. Last year the Jets had 19 players with a min. of 400 minutes played who were over 50% CF in the regular season. This year they had just 7. That would be the big difference between the seasons and lack of playoff success. If you look at the teams who have had success in the playoffs this year most have at least 16 players who were over 50% CF in the regular season. The exceptions are teams getting by on having a lucky (high PDO) playoffs. Islanders for example had just 4 high CF% players during the season but they are #1 in the playoff luck dept.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Jets had all the tools to get things done this year. If you're going to be punching guys on the bench, repeatedly committing dumb stick offenses, plus making poor coaching decisions (interference challenge) that cost you games.......you just aren't very likely to win. There are lots of little issues with this team, but even addressing the most basic and obvious ones would have gotten them into the second round.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

I don't think any of the major breakdowns were the fault of our youth. 55/26 are out there the majority of the time in the third when we lose. Trouba was a big contributor to a loss in the playoffs.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Can you use your ring on Chevy to find out what he means when he keeps saying "again"? I think he means "duh" but I'm not sure.

Decoder rings do not work on Chevy.

I need a magic 8 ball for him. :laugh:

magic-eight-ball-outlook-not-so-good-photo-researchers-inc.jpg

Reactions: Board Bard

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->