Biggest difference between this year's Jets and last year's Jets?

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
I mean, surely they had to be doing something right last year.

Paul Maurice- whom many want fired- can you really say they won in spite of him in 2017-18?

And even before the Stastny trade, they were playing well through last February.

How do you explain the regression?

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
They read their own press clippings and thought they could win on talent alone

Higher expectations

Locker room divide/lack of leadership

Last year of Trouba creating dynamics in the room

Hellebuyck regressed

Maurice seems to have lost the room

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
They read their own press clippings and thought they could win on talent alone

Higher expectations

So talent alone didn't get them as far as they did in 17-18? I mean, the talent WAS there last year.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
God no. Last year it was talent plus a killer instinct and effort. They lost that instinct and effort lever this season.

Maybe there was also something to the expectations

Last year, it seemed like WPG flew under the radar behind Nashville Even with their gaudy record

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Maybe there was also something to the expectations

Last year, it seemed like WPG flew under the radar behind Nashville Even with their gaudy record
Yes that's what I said. Last year the expectation was making the playoffs. This season the expectation was the Cup.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Yes that's what I said. Last year the expectation was making the playoffs. This season the expectation was the Cup.

That sums it up perfectly. Expectations were extremely high going into this past season. Teams were more prepared for them which made things tougher. A 99 point season is pretty good by most standards but seemed disappointing to a lot of us because we thought they would do even better than they did the previous year. I think it was hard on the team to try and measure up to our expectations of them. I believe that is why Blake Wheeler reacted the way he did during most post game interviews after a loss. Perhaps he just got frustrated being questioned so often because he realized the fans (and media) expectations were too high while he himself knew the team was good but not quite there yet.

:jets

Reactions: tacogeoff

objectiveposter

Jan 29, 2011
That sums it up perfectly. Expectations were extremely high going into this past season. Teams were more prepared for them which made things tougher. A 99 point season is pretty good by most standards but seemed disappointing to a lot of us because we thought they would do even better than they did the previous year. I think it was hard on the team to try and measure up to our expectations of them. I believe that is why Blake Wheeler reacted the way he did during most post game interviews after a loss. Perhaps he just got frustrated being questioned so often because he realized the fans (and media) expectations were too high while he himself knew the team was good but not quite there yet.

the Jets blew more 2 goal leads than any team in NHL history. This was a very arrogant team this year that would sit on leads and lose focus. They also thought they could coast into the playoffs and flick the switch. This has nothing to do with teams taking the Jets more seriously. The Jets were playing at last years level until Christmas, and then they got bored. After game 6 all I heard was excuse after excuse from the team.

Maurice as a tactical coach is average at best and is a horrible motivator. He was given an abundance of talent to work with, especially on offense an failed. I mean, Patrick Laine is on your second line. Think about that. Laine is arguably the 2nd best pure goal scorer in the league behind Ovechkin... most teams would kill to have a player that lethal on their top line.... Jets were so deep he was playing on the 2nd line for most of the season.

Maurice has to go.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
the Jets blew more 2 goal leads than any team in NHL history. This was a very arrogant team this year that would sit on leads and lose focus. They also thought they could coast into the playoffs and flick the switch. This has nothing to do with teams taking the Jets more seriously. The Jets were playing at last years level until Christmas, and then they got bored. After game 6 all I heard was excuse after excuse from the team.

Maurice as a tactical coach is average at best and is a horrible motivator. He was given an abundance of talent to work with, especially on offense an failed. I mean, Patrick Laine is on your second line. Think about that. Laine is arguably the 2nd best pure goal scorer in the league behind Ovechkin... most teams would kill to have a player that lethal on their top line.... Jets were so deep he was playing on the 2nd line for most of the season.

Maurice has to go.
They were playing at last year's level until Christmas? Which team were you watching? Not the Jets apparently, becauae they weren't.

And offense wasn't this team's problem, defense was, with some shaky goaltending thrown in for good measure for awhile.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
I’m gonna assume expectations were lower prior to 2017-18

Until halfway through this season when the team tanked (or sooner, actually). Lots of expectation were lowered then. One difference for me as a TV viewer was I didn't know what was going to happen last season. They still had Maurice so ultimate success wasn't in the cards, but it was fun watching them win playoff series. This season it was practically obvious what was going to happen, and it was the opposite of fun.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Poor effort on defense from the top down. Shaky goaltending by Helle until the team fell off a cliff defensively when Helle started playing good and consistent.

Poor coaching and adjustments, or lack of.

Also didn't seem like they wanted to admit there were issues. Ignoring the public comments, they never changed up practices, or had "tough" practices due to effort. We'd see maybe a game or two of effort then back to lazy coasting.

Reactions: Fairview

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Poor team defense, Helle wasn't on top of his game until last 1/3 of the year and Laine was bad for 2/3s of the year. Losing Ehlers/Morrissey/Buff doesn't help either, but they had some big injuries last season as well.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

I'm not as forgiving as you are with the team's results this year :)

I think teams were completely prepared for the Jets by Playoff time last year. Coaches are professionals and look at team matchups all year long, they don't just start looking at other teams once the regular season is over. Everyone knew who we were all season last year.

Also this team is just as talented as the team that played last year's playoffs, even more so imo. It was pure effort and coaching imo.

The last game is a pretty good indication of what this team can do if they try.... they played one tenth of the game at playoff level of compete and scored two goals. They needed to do that for 60 minutes. That's what cup winners do.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Another huge difference between last year and this year is physicality. We were nowhere near as physical as we were last year.

As a matter of fact when we DID get physical we won our two playoff games. Then we went right back to dumping and not really chasing, actually avoiding hitting anyone and poking at pucks in the corner instead of separating bodies from pucks.

I remember in the GDT for game 3, I posted "Big bad Jets are back!". We dominated that game. If we can't keep that pace up, then we have other problems, because there are teams still playing that seem to be able to do it.

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
Honestly, a big difference in the playoffs anyways was puck luck. Series easily could’ve been 4-2 for the jets instead of the other way around when you look at the scores and the way most of the games ended. That’s hockey tho! Puck luck plays a big role in tight series.

A more performance-related answer is this: Hayes did not produce like Stastny did - big difference in terms of 2nd line productivity. In fact, Hayes didn’t even end up on the 2nd line in the end. As for the Jets’ regular season performance, Laine & Ehlers both didn’t have good years this season, and that hurt and made an impact.

It’s a game of inches and there’s so much parity in this league now. I don’t really buy into this whole theory of a “3-5 year window and then you’re done”. Washington was predicted to lose against Pittsburgh last year, they instead won the Cup. The Blues didn’t even make the playoffs last year, now suddenly they’re contenders. Colorado defeats the Flames this year. Blue Jackets beat the Lightning. The islanders, despite losing Tavares, are a force this year. Etc etc. There isn’t NEARLY as much predictability in the NHL as people think. If you make the playoffs, you have a chance. This whole “3 to 5 year window and then you’re out” theory doesn’t really hold true anymore.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Jordan Binnington.

It seems to be more common now that teams fluctuate from having a great year followed by a so-so year even with (mostly) the same roster. Hell, Tampa didn't make the playoffs a couple seasons ago and were basically written off, make it again and considered contenders quickly, shit the bed this year and probably next year will win the cup. Nashville was in the Finals 2 years ago, considered the ultimate contenders the year after, this year looks like a first round bust.

Whether that is league parity, other teams figuring out the systems and applying it the next season, weight of expectations etc etc I don't know. Probably a bit of everything.

Toxic fanbases, impatient fans and media over-analysis of slumps etc aren't helping much. 30 years ago we were ecstatic if the Jets made the playoffs 2 years in a row. Hell, we would have been 5 years ago. Social media and access to way too much information is making just about everything unenjoyable for all parties involved.

Lot's of things to be encouraged about, especially how Laine stepped up his game in the playoffs.

Better luck next year. I have grass to reseed in my backyard and chicken wings that need to be BBQed. Enjoy the summer everyone and don't let hockey get you down too much!

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Honestly, a big difference in the playoffs anyways was puck luck. Series easily could’ve been 4-2 for the jets instead of the other way around when you look at the scores and the way most of the games ended. That’s hockey tho! Puck luck plays a big role in tight series.

A more performance-related answer is this: Hayes did not produce like Stastny did - big difference in terms of 2nd line productivity. In fact, Hayes didn’t even end up on the 2nd line in the end. As for the Jets’ regular season performance, Laine & Ehlers both didn’t have good years this season, and that hurt and made an impact.

It’s a game of inches and there’s so much parity in this league now. I don’t really buy into this whole theory of a “3-5 year window and then you’re done”. Washington was predicted to lose against Pittsburgh last year, they instead won the Cup. The Blues didn’t even make the playoffs last year, now suddenly they’re contenders. Colorado defeats the Flames this year. Blue Jackets beat the Lightning. The islanders, despite losing Tavares, are a force this year. Etc etc. There isn’t NEARLY as much predictability in the NHL as people think. If you make the playoffs, you have a chance. This whole “3 to 5 year window and then you’re out” theory doesn’t really hold true anymore.

We lost because of puck luck?

I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you didn't watch the third period of Game 5 or any of Game 6.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad