OT: Biggest Concert Disappointment

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I had floor seats for that Dylan show in 88 and really liked it. Acoustics were so bad in the old arena if you weren't on the floor so maybe that was part of it.

Worst show I have been to in a arena or larger setting is definitely Soundgarden sometime in the early 90's.
I was bored senseless and if the ticket hadn't been free I would have been pissed.
I also saw them at Lollapalooza in 92 and they were great so it wasn't the music, just the performance that night.
Maybe the acoustics but I also remember I wasn't a big fan of the latest album they had out (Superunknown) and I had worn out the grooves of Badmotorfinger before seeing them in 92.
Can you remember who backed him up?
A guy and a chick and I think the guy played guitar and they had taped background music...

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
A guy and a chick and I think the guy played guitar and they had taped background music...

No chance in hell I remember that.
I don't have a particularly negative memory of the opener though. I listened to a lot of experimental music during that time so there is a chance I actually liked it.
The only opener that I have ever actively not liked was when a rockabilly band opened for a concert I went to in Winnipeg in the mid 80s. I can't remember either band but I know that rockabilly wasn't a fit for the headliner.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The weirdest backing act I have seen was at a Beastie Boys concert in Ottawa. They were spectacular but their opening act was a dog show where they were doing cool tricks and running obstacle courses.

I shit you not

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
The weirdest backing act I have seen was at a Beastie Boys concert in Ottawa. They were spectacular but their opening act was a dog show where they were doing cool tricks and running obstacle courses.

I shit you not.
I saw a video of a stand-up comedian that opened for a serious metal band...Pantera, Slipknot, Sepultura...one of those types. And it was incredibly obvious his type of humor wouldn’t appeal to this audience. And went exactly how you’d expect...boo’d off stage in a couple minutes. LOL

Reactions: ps241

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The Black Crows (2006)
Only played “Twice as Hard” from s”Shake Your Money Maker”.. didn’t play “Jealous again”, “Hard to Handle”, or “She Talks to Angles”.
Just junk from their new album.. Brutal

The Black Crowes Setlist at MTS Centre, Winnipeg

Its an inexplicable lack of self preservation and professionalism. Why shoot your foot off? Your fans may come out to see you once or twice in their lifetimes and its really not rocket science......be a professional and give them what they want and are paying for FFS. Totally cool to weave in new material but don't tour if you don't want to play a coherent set list IMO of course.

Reactions: Jets 31 and Wolf357

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
Its an inexplicable lack of self preservation and professionalism. Why shoot your foot off? Your fans may come out to see you once or twice in their lifetimes and its really not rocket science......be a professional and give them what they want and are paying for FFS. Totally cool to weave in new material but don't tour if you don't want to play a coherent set list IMO of course.
I have seen probably 100 concerts.. some were definitely not the best (GNR ‘93 was a pitiful example of phoning it into Winnipeg) but at least they played the hits. I was a huge Black Crows fan... Shake You Money Maker was the first CD I owned and it is absolutely awesome.. what ticks me off is that without SYMM the crows only have 2 songs of worth..it’s what made the band...
Some bands playing Winnipeg really go balls deep.. Maiden for example always throws their A game..but some bands Winnipeg is a backwater to try new stuff or simply take a break

Reactions: ps241

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
I have seen probably 100 concerts.. some were definitely not the best (GNR ‘93 was a pitiful example of phoning it into Winnipeg) but at least they played the hits. I was a huge Black Crows fan... Shake You Money Maker was the first CD I owned and it is absolutely awesome.. what ticks me off is that without SYMM the crows only have 2 songs of worth..it’s what made the band...
Some bands playing Winnipeg really go balls deep.. Maiden for example always throws their A game..but some bands Winnipeg is a backwater to try new stuff or simply take a break
I’m going to have disagree. I loved that show. Matt Mays and El Torpedo opening was excellent. As far as the Crowe’s set list goes I thought it was really good. At one time I thought SYMM was really good but maybe because Winnipeg radio overplays everything it kinda lost something. I preferred the later stuff to it. But that’s just me.
I also recall a Maiden show where they only played new stuff. Needless to say those around me were not overly impressed. Come to think of it that might have been the Automan opener that night.....

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

The only caveat I'd add to Maiden shows is that it's always excellent if you're a fan of Maiden throughout their career. If you stopped following them deeply after Piece of Mind then there would have been shows that have been disappointing. I've probably seen Maiden 15 times since the early 80s (maybe more, maybe less) but I do recall going with a buddy to a show at MTS that he didn't enjoy. He was more a casual fan and they played few hits. I believe the review and some letters to the editor in the Free Press bore that out. I do agree with you that they do always bring incredible energy to each show, regardless of what songs are played.

If only they hadn't had Coney Hatch opening for them so often in the 80s. Not really their fault, Coney Hatch opened for so many bands at the Winnipeg Arena I thought they lived in the basement.

Reactions: Wolf357

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
The only caveat I'd add to Maiden shows is that it's always excellent if you're a fan of Maiden throughout their career. If you stopped following them deeply after Piece of Mind then there would have been shows that have been disappointing. I've probably seen Maiden 15 times since the early 80s (maybe more, maybe less) but I do recall going with a buddy to a show at MTS that he didn't enjoy. He was more a casual fan and they played few hits. I believe the review and some letters to the editor in the Free Press bore that out. I do agree with you that they do always bring incredible energy to each show, regardless of what songs are played.

If only they hadn't had Coney Hatch opening for them so often in the 80s. Not really their fault, Coney Hatch opened for so many bands at the Winnipeg Arena I thought they lived in the basement.
That show sounds like it might have been the Final Frontier tour a few years ago. They were playing mostly new stuff but they did put out the disclaimer that they wouldn't be playing much of the old stuff. So we were warned. Solid show though and even better people watching.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
That show sounds like it might have been the Final Frontier tour a few years ago. They were playing mostly new stuff but they did put out the disclaimer that they wouldn't be playing much of the old stuff. So we were warned. Solid show though and even better people watching.
Yeah, I knew going in because of the fan club but wouldn't have been disappointed either way. Trying to remember the date but somewhere around 2011 or so I think, maybe a year or two prior to that. I think the show after that was the Maiden England tour that I also dragged him to and that show was much more mainstream, early Maiden stuff. He liked that one a lot better.

GrassyKnoll

Feb 3, 2015

I was at that Bob Dylan show. The opening act was Timbuk3. They were noted for their hit song "The Future's So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades". They were a husband and wife duo. One played guitar and the other played bass. They both sang, and all their pre-recorded backing tracks came from a miked-up boom box, which was way too loud, echoed around the arena like crazy, and drowned out their singing. Dylan also had a poor mix, but since he's the greatest poet in the history of popular music (know any other lyricist that won a Nobel Prize for Literature?), he'll always get a pass from me, even despite his show at the BellMTS in November, 2008, where he sounded like a bad death metal singer.:eek: I decided to stick to his albums instead, the majority of which are classics, IMO.

P.S. - shout outs to Midnight Oil, October, 1988 and September 1990, both at the Ol' Barn, both surprisingly decent sound mixes, and both shows KICKED A**! What a powerful live act! And one more Aussie mention: Hunters & Collectors at Le Rendezvous, fall of '88 or '89 (not sure exactly when, as things were a big hazy back then:cheers:, ya' know?;) Also a powerful live act. Wish all Oz bands were that good (I'm talking to YOU, Men At Work:sarcasm:)! Interesting trivia: Midnight Oil brought along the Hunters & Collectors' horn section for both of those Winnipeg shows I was at.

Okay, I guess it was only interesting to me!:eyeroll:

Reactions: ps241 and 10Ducky10

Chaals18

Jan 12, 2018
(yes, this is too long, I know! Sorry!)

Men At Work, Winnipeg Arena, October, 1983.

Horrible. Just. Horrible.

For the record, I am NOT a Men At Work fan. But I'm a huge fan of Stevie Ray Vaughan, who was SUPPOSED to be the original opening act (SRV was the ONLY reason I went). Well, SRV & Double Trouble got some heat that year and started to be headliners, and they canceled their opening spot on the Men At Work tour to become headliners. I heard this and tried (oh god how I tried!) to sell my tickets, but no takers. I thought, oh, well, what the he11, I'll go. First bad sign? The (replacement) opening act: a Scottish rockabilly band called The Shakin' Pyramids (guess the promoters were trying to cash in on The Stray Cats' popularity at the time). They SUUUUUUUCKED!!! OMG, they were painful to listen to! But wait, it gets worse! Men At Work hit the stage. Unremarkable and rather ho-hum, but I thought "maybe they'll have a good light show or special effects or something". WRONG! They launched into their big hit "Who Can It Be Now" and the sax player took a TEN minute solo, honking out the same four notes OVER AND OVER again! I was yelling "YOU'RE NOT CHARLIE PARKER! SHUT THE F*** UP!" (not that he could hear me, or even care if he did) I got up and left. Time and money I'll never get back. Sad note: Stevie Ray was supposed to be in David Bowie's band on Bowie's '83 tour (see below), but they had some kind of disagreement and he was replaced by guitarist Earl Slick (he's ok, but no SRV). So I never did ever get to see Stevie Ray Vaughan:(

Honourable mention: April Wine, at the Winnipeg Arena, October, 1982. Not a big fan; they have a few good tunes, but I could take 'em or leave 'em. Again, I went only for the opening act, which was Johnny Winter. He did show up (unlike SRV), but he might as well have stayed home. Horrible sound mix! Just awful! True, opening acts never usually get a decent mix, plus the ol' barn wasn't exactly Abbey Road in the sound quality department! But the capper was the ridiculously too long drum solo Johnny's drummer took (note to drummers: unless you're Neil Peart, give it a rest, alright?:facepalm:) Then, April Wine came on. Now, I wasn't an old dude like I am now, and I liked my tunes loud, but this was physically, PAINFULLY loud! I felt like someone stuck a running chainsaw into my ears! I left after the first song. Once again, time and money, etc.

And just to show that, as a guitarist (yes, SRV and Johnny should've been your tip-offs!), that I'm not biased against too-long drum solos, a third honourable mention should go to jazz guitarist AL DiMeola (saw him at the Winnipeg Jazz Festival in '94 or '95). I went with a friend who was a big fan of his, who bought me a ticket, thinking I would like it. On his opening number, he also took a ten minute solo, which was just him showing off his flashy chops. Impressive, off-the-charts technique, I'll admit, but it got real boring real quick. Combining that with the sweltering heat inside the Pantages Playhouse on that June night, I said "I'm outta here" and left my friend there, who thought I was crazy for leaving. Life's too short, you know? (not to worry, I paid my friend for the ticket!)

I also think it's interesting when I see people objecting to musicians taking political stances and people saying "stick to music". That tends to only happen if one disagrees with their politics. Funny how nobody objects to Toby Keith getting political. I guess it depends on one's perspective, you know?:sarcasm:

And I should end this on a positive note. My top ten all-time favourite concerts (in no particular order):

- Roger Waters (THE MOTHER******G WALL!!!), BellMTS Arena, May, 2013:yo::yo::yo:

- Pink Floyd, Winnipeg Stadium, July 1994

- Roger Waters, BellMTS, October, 2017

- Roger Waters, BellMTS, June 2007

- Paul McCartney, Wpg. Stadium, May 1993

- Paul McCartney, IG Field, August, 2013

- David Bowie, Wpg. Stadium, September, 1983

- David Bowie, Wpg. Stadium, August, 1987

- Pat Metheny Group, Pantages Playhouse, October, 1982

- Genesis, Wpg. Arena, February, 1984 (and to prove I can dig drum solos, that night, Phil Collins did a drum duet with back-up drummer Chester Thompson that was AWESOME! Again---> :yo::yo::yo: )

And yes, I've saved all my concert ticket stubs throughout the years (even Men At Work's)!:D
Was it '83 that SRV played at Beaver dam? Nm looked it up,it was June 29,1984.I missed the chance to see him at Expo '86 too

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
have never paid for a concert that i didn't enjoy to be honest. i'm pretty picky about who i want to see though

best concerts would be a more interesting thread. the best shows i've been to have all been big wreck shows. ian thornley is probably the most talented dude i've ever seen

Zekeland

Mar 24, 2015
The Black Crows (2006)
Only played “Twice as Hard” from s”Shake Your Money Maker”.. didn’t play “Jealous again”, “Hard to Handle”, or “She Talks to Angles”.
Just junk from their new album.. Brutal

The Black Crowes Setlist at MTS Centre, Winnipeg

I will chime in on this one....The Black Crowes. Tough band to see live if you only know one or two albums. They play covers, they jam, and they really mix up their setlists each night. They do not just play the hits and that sets them apart from other touring bands. That is one of the reasons they are/were one of the best live bands. They may have only played one hit from SYMM, but they did rattle off 5 killer songs from SHMC. See, they may have played 4-5 hits from SYMM the night before, they will not replay an entire batch of songs. Like I mentioned, I love the fact they dont play the same 15-20 songs at every stop all tour, gets boring. If you only know a few songs from their cataloge I can see some fans being dissapointed. The setlist encompassed at least 5 diff albums of songs. I loved the Greasy Grass River opener and No Speak No Slave closer, before encore. Pretty damn good setlist if you are a hardcore TBC fan. I will say the choice of covers was poor, compared to other shows I have seen. The Little Feet cover ' Willin' was a great closer. Matt Mays did Rock! You should have seen them in '08 at the Burt, 4 songs from SYMM !! I encourage you to check out Amorica(94) , Three Snakes(96) & Before the Frost(09) albums.

I have seen this band 12 times, only 4 shows in WPG. 2006 was a year I saw them here at home and a couple shows in Colorado, specifically at Red Rocks.

Top shows I have seen lately in Wpg

1. Jack White. Unbelievable energy. Setlist all over the place. No phones. My kids first concert
2. Chris Stapleton. Guitar, voice, this guy has it all. His songs sound way better live. Country, Rock, Blues he brings it all.

Last edited:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I will chime in on this one....The Black Crowes. Tough band to see live if you only know one or two albums. They play covers, they jam, and they really mix up their setlists each night. They do not just play the hits and that sets them apart from other touring bands. That is one of the reasons they are/were one of the best live bands. They may have only played one hit from SYMM, but they did rattle off 5 killer songs from SHMC. See, they may have played 4-5 hits from SYMM the night before, they will not replay an entire batch of songs. Like I mentioned, I love the fact they dont play the same 15-20 songs at every stop all tour, gets boring. If you only know a few songs from their cataloge I can see some fans being dissapointed. The setlist encompassed at least 5 diff albums of songs. I loved the Greasy Grass River opener and No Speak No Slave closer, before encore. Pretty damn good setlist if you are a hardcore TBC fan. I will say the choice of covers was poor, compared to other shows I have seen. The Little Feet cover ' Willin' was a great closer. Matt Mays did Rock! You should have seen them in '08 at the Burt, 4 songs from SYMM !! I encourage you to check out Amorica(94) , Three Snakes(96) & Before the Frost(09) albums.

I have seen this band 12 times, only 4 shows in WPG. 2006 was a year I saw them here at home and a couple shows in Colorado, specifically at Red Rocks.

1. Jack White. Unbelievable energy. Setlist all over the place. No phones. My kids first concert
2. Chris Stapleton. Guitar, voice, this guy has it all. His songs sound way better live. Country, Rock, Blues he brings it all.

Really disappointed I missed Chris Stapleton, he is an incredible talent.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018

I agree with everything you said! I think their back catalog doesn't get nearly enough love. Plus Marc Ford was back for that 2006 tour so bonus there. Matt Mays opening was excellent. I wish that guy would tour to Winnipeg more but Winnipeg rock radio isn't exaclty know for variety. His show at the Garrick in October was unreal. It started out with just him on keys/accoustic and he added a band member with each song he played until they got to Travelling and then went full tilt.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I dont know if it was a disappointment for me but more of a restless long wait.

Sept 2011 myself and a friend went to the Ludacris concert in the old Wpg Arena . Had floor standing area tickets. His plane was delayed for hours in Chicago and my feet got sore as .... but when he got on to the stage he totally redeemed himself and the wait ha.

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011

Yea I get what your saying.. I wouldn’t classify myself as a Massive Black Crows Fan.. Last album I had was Amorica... but was I ever a SYMM fan...got it in grade 10..first CD I had.. it was played relentlessly at house parties..or just in my room...it was one of those albums of my youth that reminds me of debauchery of teen youth..
Fine maybe The Crows played the previous night in Grand Forks, night before in maybe Minneapolis or who knows where...but you know what? I couldn’t care less...the concerts are about the fans going to see the bands and the songs they know...it’s not about them...it’s about us...

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Went to LA for the LAST Motley Crue show, ya right, and the opening band was a band called the Struts . They were brilliant, went to Minneapolis a couple of years ago just to see them , they are very good live.

Reactions: ryerockarola

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
If we are talking backup bands, I saw AC/DC "backup" Aerosmith in 1978. Bon Scott was the singer.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Funnily enough, it was a Canadian band: Billy Talent in 2007 or so at Rock am Ring (biggest German festival). The singer sounded horrible live. Nothing like on the records which was, back then, after their first two LPs, a huge part of their success and original sound.

Best one was Muse. And. It's. Not. Even. Close. And I'm not even a big Muse fan or anything.

*edit*

I actually found it on YT:

Like the guy isn't even trying to hit any kind of pronouncation... he just straight up goes for high pitched screaming. Who wants that?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad