OT: Biggest Concert Disappointment

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Pink Floyd at the Stadium in the 90s. sorry, it wasn't good. sound was typical Winnipeg Stadium echo crap. and the show was kind of lame.
Think it was the same year (1993?) i saw Bob Dylan in Tel Aviv. it really was awful.
as a kid, i remember seeing Billy Joel and Stevie Wonder and the Wpg Arena. i don't remember if they were the same bill or not, but i remember them both being horribly boring.

I couldn't have had a worse ticket for this Floyd Show. I was new to Winnipeg at the time and I sat in the upper deck 6 rows from the top on the furthest isle from the stage. It was so far away that it was like we paid but weren't really part of the venue :laugh:. I thought it might have sucked but I had no way of really knowing since I was closer to Brandon than the stage?

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Ok, him too :laugh:. That concert was pretty legendary.
That was a great show, i remember when he was doing a song and i kept seeing guys playing sax and trombones on the video screen and said that's weird there aren't any on the stage, they were on the side of the arena about 5 rows down from me. :laugh:

Reactions: Ducky10

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Bruce is amazing live , the fact he does stuff like this is so cool . :nod:

Bruce was always amazing live and always very interactive and fan friendly

The key is he doesn’t have to be but his give a shit factor is off the charts. Dude has a rep of going above and beyond and never waivers. He is driven to please and it’s a gift to his fans.

Bruce is a legend and he earns that the hard way.

One marathon concert at a time.

No short cuts.

It reminds me a bit of Garth Brooks they both are driven to put on great live performances.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Only show I've walked out of was Quiet Riot but to be fair we never went to see them anyway, we were there for the openers - Kick Axe and Whitesnake. We knew the guys in Kick Axe pretty well as we'd been to a ton of their shows at the Zoo and the Rock Exchange (which was the Stock Exchange, then the Rock Exchange, then the Rock Exchange, then the...well you get the idea; used to play basketball with the guys that owned the place, a couple of brothers who went to Glenlawn). Kick Axe was excellent, Whitesnake was incredible (only time I saw them). Quiet Riot was probably pretty good but we stayed two songs and went drinking.

When the Winnipeg Free Press had a look back at the history of the Arena, before it was closed, Quiet Riot's 1983 concert was voted the Worst concert performance in the history of the arena.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Pink Floyd at the Stadium in the 90s. sorry, it wasn't good. sound was typical Winnipeg Stadium echo crap. and the show was kind of lame.
Think it was the same year (1993?) i saw Bob Dylan in Tel Aviv. it really was awful.
as a kid, i remember seeing Billy Joel and Stevie Wonder and the Wpg Arena. i don't remember if they were the same bill or not, but i remember them both being horribly boring.

Good to have you back. It's been about a year since you posted regularly. Don't be a stranger. :nod:

Reactions: HannuJ
Nov 24, 2006
When the Winnipeg Free Press had a look back at the history of the Arena, before it was closed, Quiet Riot's 1983 concert was voted the Worst concert performance in the history of the arena.
I could see every other arena saying the same thing about Quiet Riot. :sarcasm:

Reactions: ps241

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
Well nobody knows how to jerk off on their fans more than Neil Young.

First time I saw him at the Agradome in Regina on that dreaded “I will never get my money or those two hours back” tour with the international harvesters. Then I saw him with a goofy blues band and that’s all they did all night was kind of shitty blues brothers knock off with all the guys in suits and fedoras. One song that way would have been fine but the entire concert felt like one song and it sucked so bad I left before it was done.

Now I was a huge Neil Young fan and knew he could kick it live since I had heard him do it on live albums.

So last but not least, 3rd times the charm, he was finally touring with his original kick ass group Crazy Horse and I went out to see him in Calgary. That night was mildly better but still hugely disappointing because they did about 8 songs total but each one was 10 to 15 minute long jam sessions. Once again one song that way like Cinnamon Girl would have been awesome but every...........f***ing......song dragged on and on in the identical fashion.

I still love Neil Young’s music still but he will remain the gold standard on my “most selfish, f*** the fans it’s all about me not getting bored, doing whatever I want”, artist on the planet.
It's always a crap shoot going to a Neil Young show. Seen him 4 times and have been lucky but I've also lowered my expectations. I saw him in 2008 and he was excellent. Not so much for Death Cab for Cutie that opened. Played all the hits. Saw him at a solo show at the Concert Hall. Not as good and it wasn't helped by the idiot that kept yelling him. Then him and Crazy Horse the last two times they where here. Both were pretty good shows.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
It's always a crap shoot going to a Neil Young show. Seen him 4 times and have been lucky but I've also lowered my expectations. I saw him in 2008 and he was excellent. Not so much for Death Cab for Cutie that opened. Played all the hits. Saw him at a solo show at the Concert Hall. Not as good and it wasn't helped by the idiot that kept yelling him. Then him and Crazy Horse the last two times they where here. Both were pretty good shows.
I like quite a few Death Cab for Cutie songs but they're definitely one of the last artists I can imagine putting on a fun concert.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
I like quite a few Death Cab for Cutie songs but they're definitely one of the last artists I can imagine putting on a fun concert.
Needless to say they were not what a lot of the aged 40-70 crowd was there to see. Not unlike that time Automan.ca (yes that's correct spelling) opened for Iron Maiden back around 2008. Managed to get 5 songs in before they were booed off the stage. There are clips on Youtube.

Reactions: Jets 31

Crazed Fan

Jul 9, 2011
Winnipeg
I was at that show too and thought Death Cab was pretty good. I still rave about how professional that singer was as it seemed everything he was playing failed him. 1 microphone stopped working so he went from guitar to piano, but the piano amplification wasnt there, so he managed to go back and forth between instruments while the other mic got fixed and didnt miss a beat. Like everything that could go wrong did, but he killed it.
I enjoyed Neil Young quite a bit, but that concert pretty much did me in for standing on the floor. Each song had a 3 minute "wind down" ending.
Still had fun but my wife and i were leaning on each other as crutches

metallion1976

Jul 7, 2015
I couldn't have had a worse ticket for this Floyd Show. I was new to Winnipeg at the time and I sat in the upper deck 6 rows from the top on the furthest isle from the stage. It was so far away that it was like we paid but weren't really part of the venue :laugh:. I thought it might have sucked but I had no way of really knowing since I was closer to Brandon than the stage?
I was within twenty feet on the floor and the sound was amazing - although outdoors, easily the loudest show I've ever seen. Having sat in the upper deck at the stadium for other shows I can imagine not feeling like part of the show...

metallion1976

Jul 7, 2015
Needless to say they were not what a lot of the aged 40-70 crowd was there to see. Not unlike that time Automan.ca (yes that's correct spelling) opened for Iron Maiden back around 2008. Managed to get 5 songs in before they were booed off the stage. There are clips on Youtube.

Ah the 2010 Maiden show - worst opener EVER! I can't believe they lasted 5 songs, although they were peppered with drinks and stuff. Dream Theatre opened every show that tour except here for some reason...

Reactions: wgpsensfan

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
Ah the 2010 Maiden show - worst opener EVER! I can't believe they lasted 5 songs, although they were peppered with drinks and stuff. Dream Theatre opened every show that tour except here for some reason...
I've seen some bad openers but these clowns were diabolically bad. And I think 2 of those songs were instrumentals and that 'drum solo' is a cover of an AC/DC song. If I recall Dream Theatre skipped Winnipeg because played the Burt about month previous. Or at least that what was making the rounds.
In going down the YouTube rabbit hole there is an interview with them on Power 97 the day before the show. Needless to say Darryl Dwarf did not see that coming 24 hours later.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

We had no idea who they were, so we stayed at the Keg for a couple more beers and wandered down to the show. Missed all the fun.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I was within twenty feet on the floor and the sound was amazing - although outdoors, easily the loudest show I've ever seen. Having sat in the upper deck at the stadium for other shows I can imagine not feeling like part of the show...

funny you should mention this. I had the worst seats ever for Floyd but then the Drones came to the Stadium and a prep cook at our Restaurant scored 2nd row tickets and it was an amazing live experience. Talk about the polar opposites. :laugh:

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015

Was there
Can confirm it was horrible
Singer was brutal died of cocaine overdose if I recall correctly.

Say Hey Kid

Gonna get some albums by The Status Quo
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
I saw Buddy Guy and Johnny Lang nine years ago. It should have been great, but they just played long, self indulgent solos every song. It was the last concert I attended.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
I saw Buddy Guy and Johnny Lang nine years ago. It should have been great, but they just played long, self indulgent solos every song. It was the last concert I attended.
I was there for that one. Buddy Guy was good. But I didn't realize how terrible Johnny Lang is. He over sings everything.

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009

2020 is getting to me. At first glance I read this as "Death Crab". Seems like a reasonable succession: Coronavirus, Covid, Murder Hornets, death crabs...

BTW wasn't Quiet Riot booed off the stage in 1984, not 1983?

Biggest concert disappointment for me was more for my kids. They love Wierd Al Yankovic and his parodies so we went to see him at Burton Cumming theatre. Everything he did was some new original song of his; we'd not heard of a single one of them before. At the very end he did a medley of his parodies and closed with Yoda. By then the kids were catatonic. They've not asked to hear him or watch his videos on Youtube since.

m.

Reactions: wgpsensfan

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
This isn’t going to be a popular opinion, but the first time Red Hot Chili Peppers played MTS Centre in 2006 was awful. Perhaps it was the seats I had played a part in that...which were nosebleeds beside the stage. But Anthony Kiedis just seemed like he was having a bad day and wasn’t into it. At all. And the opening band The Mars Volta who I had heard good things about leading up to the show might’ve been the worst opening act I’ve ever seen. And I think tix were around $100 for the crappy seats too...which was quite a bit for a concert back then.

I’m a drummer who played in a band for several years. I’ve seen 1000’s of concerts. This was the worst. I think I may have even fell asleep during the concert it was so bad. LOL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad