OT: Biggest Concert Disappointment

Brian Cadle Fan

Sep 15, 2011
I’m not surprised people mention Neil Young. We saw him in concert in Winnipeg a few years ago and were very disappointed. He seemed completely disconnected from the audience. The worst was an interminable guitar solo that seemed to be nothing but random notes and feedback. I’m still a fan of his recordings but will never see him live again.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I’m not surprised people mention Neil Young. We saw him in concert in Winnipeg a few years ago and were very disappointed. He seemed completely disconnected from the audience. The worst was an interminable guitar solo that seemed to be nothing but random notes and feedback. I’m still a fan of his recordings but will never see him live again.

Its weird isn’t it?

Why tour Neil with these bizarre theme shows?

Do you hate your fans (I doubt it maybe indifferent), are you arrogant (maybe) , are you completely out of touch with reality (100%)?

If you are bored playing your amazing hits I get it, just stay home on your farm and please yourself on your porch with whatever you want to play.

If you go on tour and charge people money don’t be a self indulgent asshole.

USApegger

Jun 30, 2011
Winnipeg
For me the worst was 78 Aerosmith show, they were loud and terrible. This concert had been postponed a few times before they finally got here. This was back in the day where you brought firecrackers to the show. ACDC blew them away

#2 Van Halen at MTS, just pathetic, overpriced tickets and Roth was garbage, wanted to leave a few times but had to wait for Jump

#3 Van Halen 1984 show, same as above. Roth cannot sing live

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
For me the worst was 78 Aerosmith show, they were loud and terrible. This concert had been postponed a few times before they finally got here. This was back in the day where you brought firecrackers to the show. ACDC blew them away

#2 Van Halen at MTS, just pathetic, overpriced tickets and Roth was garbage, wanted to leave a few times but had to wait for Jump

#3 Van Halen 1984 show, same as above. Roth cannot sing live

That Van Halen at the MTS centre show has come up a few times with buddies of mine as the worst show ever. Also heard Eddie was losing it with the way too long solos as well.

There is not excuses for sucking when you are as talented musically as Eddie and Alex.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
This thread makes me appreciate Bands like AC/DC, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, or even Rush (for “their” faithful).

These bands new EXACTLY what their fans wanted and were unrelenting in their pursuit of delivering the highest quality concert that fans raved about for decade, after decade, after decade literally.

I salute you all.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I don’t mind if bands reinvent their songs during a concert. There have been many times I’ve preferred live versions. What I do mind is when they aren’t well rehearsed, play limited set lists by turning every song into the same jam and completely ignoring what most people have paid good money to see. I hate performers who take for granted what they have been given.

Last edited:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I don’t mind if bands reinvent their songs during a concert. There have been many times I’ve preferred live versions. What I do mind is when they aren’t well rehearsed, play limited set lists by turning every song into the same jam and completely ignoring what most people have paid good money to see. I hate performers who take for granted what they have been given.
Totally agree, lots of times songs are actually better live, i also hate when a veteran band has a new album and plays too many songs off of it and it leads to not hearing hits or old stuff from them. And with the price of tickets nowadays they better play for at least 2 hours .

Reactions: BatVader

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Even though i love ZZ Top their last show at the MTS was way too short , it was barely a hour and a half .

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Joe Cocker - mid 70's
So drunk he couldn't stand up - had to drag him off the stage after attempting 2 songs.
The opening act came back out to finish the concert.

BTW, that opening act was Bob Seger - never heard of him at the time and it turned out to be the best opening act I have ever witnessed.
Became a huge fan as many other had during the time (or shortly after) and still am.

Yes, I am old(er).
Reminds me of the story about Seger apparently swearing not to go back to Winnipeg after apparently getting booed. I think that was late 70's and The Guess Who opened for them. In any case, he skipped us for a few decades after that.

Reactions: LowLefty

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Joe Cocker - mid 70's
So drunk he couldn't stand up - had to drag him off the stage after attempting 2 songs.
The opening act came back out to finish the concert.

BTW, that opening act was Bob Seger - never heard of him at the time and it turned out to be the best opening act I have ever witnessed.
Became a huge fan as many other had during the time (or shortly after) and still am.

Yes, I am old(er).

So funny I grew up in Saskatoon and Joe Cocker pulled that same shit on what must have been the same tour. He got so obliterated he had to be pulled off the stage there too. At one point Drunk Joe took off his T shirt and through it into the standing audience and the crowd all backed away from it literally.

Reactions: LowLefty

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I got dragged to a Kid Rock show here in Winnipeg. Didn't think much of him before going to be honest but it was a hell of a show. Turned out I liked a fair bit of his music and he was remarkably inoffensive, total opposite of what I was expecting.

Opening acts are often surprisingly good and on many occasions I've enjoyed them more than the main act.

GnR opened for Black Crowes at one show - had no idea who they were but I didn't forget after the show

Aforementioned Kick Axe/Whitesnake prior to Quiet Riot

Shinedown before Kiss - Kiss was pretty damn pathetic that show, literally going through routine motions. Shinedown blew them out of the water and I knew nothing about them before the show.

Then there were these pair of shows I saw in Minneapolis on back to back nights a few years ago. Went down to see Tom Petty (huge, huge Petty fan). I'd seen the opener previously but they were really good that night. Little band called Pearl Jam? You've probably heard of them. Next night this group called the Heartbreakers opened up for Pearl Jam. Both shows were hugely disappointing. ;)

I also saw Petty on his last tour in Minneapolis. Opening act was Joe Walsh, which was neat because I've never seen the Eagles live. He did about 90 minutes himself and then as was typical with Petty shows, a couple with Petty and the Heartbreakers as well. We pretty much got two full shows that night. Only time I've seen Petty not do a tune or two with the opening act was when Joe Cocker opened for him at Bell MTS back in maybe 2014 or something like that. It was between the Winwood shows.

Great point about the back up bands.

I went to see Coldplay in Ottawa and I had not heard of the back up but soon realized Richard Ashcroft was actually the former lead singer of The Verve" and his vocals were possibly the best I have heard live. He did a really amazing version of "Bitter Sweet Symphony" but you know a guy is crushing it when I was totally falling in love with songs I hadn't heard of at the time (Lucky Man, Music is Power, Drugs Don't Work, Sonnet).

Same thing the wife dragged me out to a Luke Bryan Concert and he isn't my cup of Tea but Randy Houser crushed it as the opening act. He has a really powerful singing voice too.

RabidOne

Drinking all the beers
Apr 15, 2014
Kelowna
I have seen a few bad ones. Cheap Trick at the convention centre. The sound was horrible, it wasn't the venue because I saw Supertramp there about the same time and they sounded great.
Dylan at the arena was a yawner.
U2 in St.Paul was the end of my interest in them. They were half way through their 300 date tour and it showed. Probably wouldn't have been so noticeable if we hadn't seen REM two days before.
Recently saw Pursuit of Happiness and Northern Pikes at the Commodore. TPOH was lame.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I remember White Lion opening for ACDC at the old arena, and we boo'ed White Lion off the stage.

I remember the lead singer pleading with the crowd to "show love not hate" when he almost got beamed with a sneaker.

Completely wrong band to open for ACDC. That crowd wanted nothing to do with them.

Reactions: Jets 31

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
But bruce is talented. Go watch the Scott Gomez story on how the devils made him go to a bruce concert and is credited for having a great career.

Bruce plays like 30 songs and gives it

Bruce is the gold standard when it comes to commitment to his fans.

Reactions: Jets 31 and Ducky10

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The worst one I saw was Paul Simon way back in 2002 at the Montreaux Jazz festival in Switzerland. He showed up over 2 hours late in a sweatshirt and sweat pants and couldn't have cared less to be there. Those tickets were a good 80 Euros or so at the time.

Best show I have ever seen is Muse at the Burt when they were here. TNSE need to get them back here for a show.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Pink Floyd at the Stadium in the 90s. sorry, it wasn't good. sound was typical Winnipeg Stadium echo crap. and the show was kind of lame.
Think it was the same year (1993?) i saw Bob Dylan in Tel Aviv. it really was awful.
as a kid, i remember seeing Billy Joel and Stevie Wonder and the Wpg Arena. i don't remember if they were the same bill or not, but i remember them both being horribly boring.

RAFS

Feb 22, 2013
Eric Clapton at the Saddledome in Calgary, 1998. He was terrible........... Jann Arden opened for him. She was terrific.

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
Easy, GNR Chinese democracy tour. Brutal all around! Axl was fat and pathetic. Lame band terrible sound, even for MTS center. :thumbd:

Was much better next time around back with Slash and Duff. Played all the classics and was a blast. At MTS:thumbu:

the 93 GNR show was my first ever show. I could careless about the gripes. I had a blast from the nose bleeds.:yo:

I was at that stopped Green Day show that was shortened. In all fairness the little girl was near trampled and went off on a stretcher. Couldn’t blame the band.:dunno:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->