Movies: Biggest Bonehead Moves in Movie History

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY
Everytime somebody runs in a straight line when they could avoid disaster simply by stepping or running at an angle.

I just rewatched the first two Terminator movies. When they’re in little trucks or motorcycles being chased by enormous trucks. Like dude, stop running in a straight line and just turn around. It’ll take him 12 minutes to K turn that thing.

Reactions: NyQuil

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Half of life in the universe died (temporarily) cause Star Lord couldn't wait to whale on Thanos until after the heroes got the Infinity Gauntlet off of him.

I got the impression that in one of the alternate futures Strange saw with the time stone involved preventing Star Lord from whaling on Thanos, which apparently would have still somehow resulted in a complete victory for Thanos with the Avengers unable to reverse it.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Blockbuster not buying Netflix when it had the chance.

Fun related tidbit, Blockbuster instead partnered with Enron to develop video on demand in 2000: Enron, Blockbuster Partner For Movie Mania

One of the reasons Enron collapsed was because they had this accounting treatment (which somehow was legal) which allowed them to book a hypothetical profit before it was realized, but eventually that caught up to them. There's some footage of former Enron CEO Jeff Skilling touting how great their test markets were going for streaming video but in reality they never got anything close to being viable.

Wasn't it the opposite? I recall Netflix wanting to buy Blockbuster, but they said no because they never thought that Netflix would get anywhere.

Netflix approached Blockbuster in 2000, but at that point Netflix was still just video by mail so I can understand why they passed at the time.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
IIRC, in Dante's Peak, they decide to go back to save their dog, only that in the process, the grandma has to leap into a lake of superheated water and dies to save everyone.

Close.

The grandmother jumps out of the boat because the lake has turned to acid due to the volcanic activity. Furthermore the acidity was eating a hole through their boat. They had also lost the propellor and were only a few feet from shore.

They save the dog after she dies.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Close.

The grandmother jumps out of the boat because the lake has turned to acid due to the volcanic activity. Furthermore the acidity was eating a hole through their boat. They had also lost the propellor and were only a few feet from shore.

They save the dog after she dies.

For some reason I remember prioritizing the dog over her safety.

I guess they let her talk them into going back for her dog?

All told, mixed up priorities.

Also, I'm sorry, but how does Pierce Brosnan live with the fact that he had a boatful of people to save and its the grandma who jumps in to push it to shore.

Hilarity all-around.

Reactions: kihei

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
For some reason I remember prioritizing the dog over her safety.

I guess they let her talk them into going back for her dog?

All told, mixed up priorities.

Also, I'm sorry, but how does Pierce Brosnan live with the fact that he had a boatful of people to save and its the grandma who jumps in to push it to shore.

Hilarity all-around.

What happened was the kids went up the mountain to get their grandmother who was stubbornly staying up there. Then Pierce Brosnan and Linda Hamilton had to go up there to get all of them. The situation took a drastic turn once they got there and they ended up having to use the boat. The dog ran away at some point and they just happen to find it later on.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
What happened was the kids went up the mountain to get their grandmother who was stubbornly staying up there. Then Pierce Brosnan and Linda Hamilton had to go up there to get all of them. The situation took a drastic turn once they got there and they ended up having to use the boat. The dog ran away at some point and they just happen to find it later on.

Right, it was the dumb kids.

Kids doing stupid shit in emergencies is the laziest writing in the universe.

"How are we going to get an entire family to voluntarily ascend an active volcano?"

"Kids run off?"

"Sure, let's get lunch."

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Every movie the bad guy just doesn’t put a bullet in the hero. Instead they talk or play a game. Movie should be 5 minutes long.

True. James Bond should've been killed a bunch of times if the main villain just shot him when he was captured instead of trying to kill him in some sophisticated manner that gave Bond a chance to escape.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Sega Dreamcast

party like it's 1999
May 6, 2009
Charlotte
Kevin McCallister stopping to change the batteries in his TalkBoy.

You weren't even using it! You couldn't have waited 3 minutes?

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Not that I am a ultra Star Wars fan, but killing off Han Solo and the original cast so rubbish characters can take over the next generation.

Wasn't it the opposite? I recall Netflix wanting to buy Blockbuster, but they said no because they never thought that Netflix would get anywhere.

It was both, I think Netflix was going to buy their online rental service, not the stores, which at the time was on the cusp of kicking Netflix's ass, however, Blockbuster was big enough early on to buy Netflix during several downturns. They just didn't think it was worth it.

There is a great doc on Prime, Netflix against the world. They really came close to going under several times. The DVD rental model was a bitch to make any money at.

Reactions: Voight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad