Biggest albatross in the league right now?

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Remind me how many cups he has won since the contract started? huge albatross

So because Kane and Toews didn't win cups in the first 2 years of their 6.5mil contracts, those were bad too? That's how this works now? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Frankly, the 6.5mil contracts were a much bigger leap of faith given they had each only played 2 seasons, had made the playoffs all of once, and had won zero cups at the time they signed them, and everybody knew that the team would have one run with a full roster in 2010 to get it done before the cap forced them to purge and reload.

And Blackhawks fans were hearing you can't win a cup with Kane and Toews at 6.5million a piece back then too. :laugh:

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Salary is paid for your expected value during the term of the contract. Not for your past achievements.

Jagr doesn't get 12mil per season for a reason.

Jagr reportedly got 10+ per season in Washington (7 years, 77 million), coming off of two cups in Pittsburgh. Surely that was based entirely on what he was GOING to produce, right? Of course not. I sure as **** hope not given what he ended up producing there. No, it was because he was a big name with a track record and past achievement.

But please, compare a 40+ guy who was on hiatus in the KHL for years to a 28 year old elite 2-way center coming off 3 cup wins.

If Toews makes 10.5 million a year when he's 40, maybe this comparison will make even a modicum of sense. :laugh:

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
How has Seabrook not been mentioned once?

I mean, he's still not a bad defenseman but that contract is the definition of an albatross.
That's who I was thinking when I opened this thread. His contract is long on term, high on money and structured so it is virtually buy out proof. He definitely looked to have slowed down this season. Good luck with that contract Chicago. :laugh:

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
I'm starting to think Perry could qualify pretty soon.

He was never the best skater to begin with...

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
This is HF gold right here. :D

What's gold is that takes pretty basic logical thinking to realize what he said is how it should be. But,funnily enough, it isn't. It's why we end up with terrible contracts signed every summer. Some schmuck gm always ends up paying for production provided elsewhere.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
He's overpaid by like 2-2.5 million, that overpay is hardly killing the Blackhawks. The Seabrook overpay on the otherhand...

Quickly declining? He scored 25+ goals last season and moved up and down the lineup from offensive line to shutdown line seamlessly as needed.

5.5mil cap hit for current Hossa is fair value. 5.5 cap for 2010-2015 Hossa makes the risk of recapture more than worth it.

Basing it ln his production and what he provides on ice only he's overpaid by closer to 4m.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
What's gold is that takes pretty basic logical thinking to realize what he said is how it should be. But,funnily enough, it isn't. It's why we end up with terrible contracts signed every summer. Some schmuck gm always ends up paying for production provided elsewhere.

Yeah, but unless you think it's a great idea in principle to screw players out of money over their career, then the CBA is the first thing that needs to be fixed.

Because in the ideal world where GMs look at 28 year old players and say 'naw, you're past your peak and your production will decrease, so I'm not going to pay you as much', you'd also ideally not be screwing players out of money as RFAs for the first 10 years of their career.

By all means, let's all play the 22 year old players coming out of ELC the most money, and the players hitting UFA at 27-28 the least money.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Basing it ln his production and what he provides on ice only he's overpaid by closer to 4m.

I disagree. As far as value to the team, he's right in line with the guys making 7.5-8.5mil around the league.

Getzlaf, Perry, Stamkos, Giroux, Voracek, Kessel, Nash, Parise, Spezza, OReilly, etc.

Some of those players have been better of late than others, some are having rebound years, some are having down years. Overall I think it's ludicrous to argue that Toews isn't worthy of a similar pay range given his track record.

Honestly, production isn't the biggest concern. He was on pace for 66 pts this season, same as he was in 2015, and his sh% isn't falling as is typically the case for players who are aging out of productivity. The bigger issue is that his possession and goal differential dominance hasn't been up to snuff. He gets back up to his standards in those areas, and the Blackhawks are in good shape as far as his contract.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
So they should have done the right thing and let 88 & 19 walk? That would be best no? :facepalm:

Kane is at least really close to 10.5. But yeah, if Toews wouldn't take less than 10.5mil a year I'd have let him walk.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Kane is at least really close to 10.5. But yeah, if Toews wouldn't take less than 10.5mil a year I'd have let him walk.

That would be genuinely idiotic.

Ask Montreal Canadiens fans what it's like trying to contend for a cup with no legit 1C. Who exactly are the Blackhawks paying with that 10.5 million that make them a better team? They don't have a Seth Jones to trade for a 1C, nor can they afford to match the reported 12 million offer that Stamkos turned down from Toronto.

Just wait and hope for John Tavares I guess?

Or do they sell off even more and tank for a 1C to replace Toews? Cause lord knows they're not winning a cup without him or a similarly skilled center. And nobody wants to be stuck in that hellish limbo just below the playoff cutoff, too good to tank, not good enough to contend.... which is exactly where letting Toews walk would land them.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Has Parise been mentioned yet? Consistently declining production, signed for an eternity 7.5M cap hit.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
Parise's will be bad for sure. When he's healthy the guy still can take over games, he just wasn't healthy for a lot of this year between injury and illness. With how hard he plays and as a result gets injured it will be a miracle if he plays out most of that remaining contract.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Parise's will be bad for sure. When he's healthy the guy still can take over games, he just wasn't healthy for a lot of this year between injury and illness. With how hard he plays and as a result gets injured it will be a miracle if he plays out most of that remaining contract.
wouldn't be that bad for the wild if he got ltiretired near the end of that

sharkhawk

Jun 1, 2013
Aurora, IL
Why doesn't anyone mention Anze Kopitar in these bad contract threads? He's signed for 1 more year at only .5 million less, and he's one year older. Kopitars' season this year was worse than Toews last year. His team has missed the playoffs 2 out of the past three years. So why does Toews get all the salt?

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Why doesn't anyone mention Anze Kopitar in these bad contract threads? He's signed for 1 more year at only .5 million less, and he's one year older. Kopitars' season this year was worse than Toews last year. His team has missed the playoffs 2 out of the past three years. So why does Toews get all the salt?

He's been mentioned twice.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Parise, Seabrook, Dustin Brown, Marc Staal

when I look at "bad" contracts, I tend to look more towards length than dollar amount

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad