Biggest albatross in the league right now?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Loui Eriksson 5 years @ 6M anyone ?

32-36 through the remaining contract, coming off of 24 point season.

And im sure he's going to be absolutely thrilled by the Canucks rebuild.

Yeah people say Lucic, but Lucic still had 23 goals + 50 points and was red hot for the Oilers down the stretch, on top of provided nuclear detterant against anyone who looks funny at McDavid, which definitely made a difference IMO, not many team tried to take liberties with the Oilers young guns.

Eriksson is 3 years older than Lucic and had 24 points total.

At least both of the deals are relatively front loaded.

McDLT

I'm a style boy for life
Mar 1, 2016
Calgary
Eriksson and Ladd's buyout-proof contracts. They are the start of the trend that will cause the next lockout.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
10.5mil to Jonathan Toews when he's not even close to being a 10.5mil center.

He's overpaid by like 2-2.5 million, that overpay is hardly killing the Blackhawks. The Seabrook overpay on the otherhand...

Marian Hossa, that is the definition of an albatross contract. 4 more years for a quickly declining player with a contract they cannot even pay someone to take without risking massive recapture penalties.

Quickly declining? He scored 25+ goals last season and moved up and down the lineup from offensive line to shutdown line seamlessly as needed.

5.5mil cap hit for current Hossa is fair value. 5.5 cap for 2010-2015 Hossa makes the risk of recapture more than worth it.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Quickly declining? He scored 25+ goals last season and moved up and down the lineup from offensive line to shutdown line seamlessly as needed.

5.5mil cap hit for current Hossa is fair value. 5.5 cap for 2010-2015 Hossa makes the risk of recapture more than worth it.
Trade him and have him retire before his contract is over and tell me it's worth it

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Parise has had some significant injuries to his back; so the Wild might have an out in that they can put him on LTIR in the near future and open up cap that way.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
Trade him and have him retire before his contract is over and tell me it's worth it

They've got more cups with Hossa than some teams will win in the next 150 years. Even if they had cap penalties for the next 50 years, that contract would've been worth it.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
10.5mil to Jonathan Toews when he's not even close to being a 10.5mil center.

He was a key factor in them winning those 3 cups since 2010. Definitely overpaid by a few million, but I would live with that considering the hardware he helped bring them.

Beltv

Apr 13, 2017
Justin Abdelkader contract is hated by lots of Detroit fans. It's pretty bad.

Kovalchuk's deal before he "retired" was pretty darn awful as well.

Rinkrat

Feb 11, 2007
Gary Bettman. He screws the on-ice product of every team in the league. Nobody else can match that level of brutality

ijuka

May 14, 2016
What's the going rate on three Cups?

During that contract, he's actually got zero cups. Salary isn't for past achievements.

And Justin Williams has been really clutch and also has 3 cups. You don't see him making 10mil. UFA this summer btw. He made 3.25mil. So that might be the going rate for 3 cups, one could say? Underpaid for his production.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
A couple that stand out to me are:

Bobby Ryan at $7.25 million for 5 years - He's done a lot on this playoff run to make people forget about his sub-par play, but that contract is pretty bad.

Brent Seabrook at $6.875 million for 7 years - Thank god they had/have Keith and Hjalmarsson on bargain deals, because this contract is rough.

ThatSaid

May 31, 2015
Glendale Heights, IL
Seabrook's is pretty bad. Toews could easily end up being the worst in the league if he doesn't start playing like he did two years ago.

I'll still say Seabrook is our worst contract, just because I don't see him ever being able to live up to that cap-hit. Toews could still turn it around.

hagelin1381

Mar 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
Andre Macdonald's deal is terrible. Even worse when Hakstol pairs Provorov with him and plays him a lot as well. Seabrook, Ryan, Dustin Brown, Marc Staal and Dan Girardi all have big deals too

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Helm's and Abdelkaders NTC's are void now that that Wings missed the playoffs. I believe that was a condition on them.

The NTC's are still in effect now. The voiding clause begins in future seasons. Helm's can be voided in 2019-20 if conditions are met, and Abdelkader in 2020-21.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Let's see the Kings have quite a few.

Dustin Brown
Marion Gaborik
Anze Kopitar

No bid deal though, it's only the top line from the 2014 Stanley Cup champs. Lesson for GMs: Never pay players soon to be 30 or over 30 years old for past performance.

No GM ever won a championship by overpaying older players for past performance. He won it by letting some other fool overpay old players for past performance.
I think it is probably Kopitar given how bad he was this year and he still has 7 years at 10 million per left. Brown is a far worse player but only has 5 years left at 5.9.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
A couple that stand out to me are:

Bobby Ryan at $7.25 million for 5 years - He's done a lot on this playoff run to make people forget about his sub-par play, but that contract is pretty bad.

Brent Seabrook at $6.875 million for 7 years - Thank god they had/have Keith and Hjalmarsson on bargain deals, because this contract is rough.

Ok, so you would rather have the Dustin Brown contract $5.88 million for 5 years? I bet all 30 GMs would rather have Bobby.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
During that contract, he's actually got zero cups. Salary isn't for past achievements.

And Justin Williams has been really clutch and also has 3 cups. You don't see him making 10mil. UFA this summer btw. He made 3.25mil. So that might be the going rate for 3 cups, one could say? Underpaid for his production.

The NHL CBA all but guarantees every player will be paid most of their cumulative salary for past achievement over their career since they don't hit UFA till their late 20s.

Beyond that, past achievements absolutely weighs into every salary, as it's the baseline for comparables around the league. Projection factors in too, but don't kid yourself, if an agent says 'pay my client X cause they will be good' without any kind of PAST ACHIEVEMENT to lend credence to the argument, they'll get laughed out of the room. You're living in a fantasy world.

As far as the Jason Williams comparison, Williams is a great player (and an excellent possession driver in particular) that probably deserved more money than he got. But wings aren't as valuable as centers, let alone 1Cs, Toews hit UFA with 3 cups, Williams had a UFA contract with one cup on his resume, stayed with the Kings for two more. Toews has also significantly out-produced him in a bigger role across both the regular season and playoffs over their careers. Take that, and combine it with his importance as a face/marketing tool for the Blackhawks organization and he's much, more more valuable than Justin Williams (who again, is great).

And all of this is ignoring, of course, that coming off his third cup win and 21 points in 23 playoff games, with cap projections still strong, he could have made 10.5 or more from half the teams in the league. Leaving Chicago without a 1C, in the hellish limbo where they're not good enough to make the playoffs, not bad enough to tank and replace him

Why would we trade a useful piece that's playing well?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad