OT: Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: Red Pandas > Shoes

Status
Not open for further replies.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Does the Deniro half of godfather 2 count as a prequel?

....yes...a significant portion of that movie was setting up the backstory of the franchise. A mob movie has a billion different threads, so, it usually makes for a good prequel situation.

A movie like The Usual Suspects, although bouncing from present to past is told mostly in a retrospective, is not a prequel as is not a part of a series of movies.

A movie like Solo, is bound to fail. They could have gone pure mob/smuggler/dark. But Disney won't. Plus, the backstory there is known by all the fans---except where Disney deviates--which in turn, will piss off the majority of fans you had, and the new ones wouldnt know the difference anyway. So, pointless prequel (same as the three main Star Wars prequels, the stories had been hashed out already, so, you could either mess with what is known and piss everyone off, or tell a boring story that everyone knows).

Last edited:

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
This weather is absolutely insane. There was lightning striking seemingly down the street from me this morning for like an hour at 6 AM.

I'm already assuming the Arcade Fire show next week is gonna be rained/stormed out dammit.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Thanks! I love the look of granite (who doesn't, really?) not to mention how tough it is. Quartz seems to be pretty similar just with less maintenance/worry. Obviously costs more right now but since I want to pay outright for this reno, it will be several more years of saving so hopefully the price drops then as it gets more popular.

This is going to cost us a lot of money but kitchens have the highest returns on investments when it comes to house renovations and obviously it's something we use every single day.
I like my Quartz countertops a lot. My only complaint is that I didn't choose a matte finish. They're really dark, like soapstone, and the finish shows streaks if I don't wipe up something completely. But that's my only issue with them, and really, it's a pretty minor one.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
....yes...a significant portion of that movie was setting up the backstory of the franchise. A mob movie has a billion different threads, so, it usually makes for a good prequel situation.

A movie like The Usual Suspects, although bouncing from present to past is told mostly in a retrospective, is not a prequel as is not a part of a series of movies.

A movie like Solo, is bound to fail. They could have gone pure mob/smuggler/dark. But Disney won't. Plus, the backstory there is known by all the fans---except where Disney deviates--which in turn, will piss off the majority of fans you had, and the new ones wouldnt know the difference anyway. So, pointless prequel (same as the three main Star Wars prequels, the stories had been hashed out already, so, you could either mess with what is known and piss everyone off, or tell a boring story that everyone knows).
I actually really enjoyed solo. Completely unnecessary, but I liked it. Not all movies need to be high art. Sometimes I just want to watch some fun characters.

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
I actually really enjoyed solo. Completely unnecessary, but I liked it. Not all movies need to be high art. Sometimes I just want to watch some fun characters.

It still fails as a prequel because it really doesn't add anything to the character.

A fun movie no doubt. But you even said it..unnecessary.

Star Wars in particular is in a tough place. Canon has been thrown out...yet..Canon has framed everything for 30 years. The canon after Return of the Jedi is easier to dismiss, as a fan, than canon that created the classic characters.

They need to avoid going into the past and really need to just create brand new places and people to follow.

...although, since there is basically no info, I was looking forward to the Obi-Wan middle years...oh well. Same where I think a Lando movie with a biiit of Solo popping in here and there woulda been way better than Solo. The mystery of Lando could have been cool.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
This weather is absolutely insane. There was lightning striking seemingly down the street from me this morning for like an hour at 6 AM.

I'm already assuming the Arcade Fire show next week is gonna be rained/stormed out dammit.

4th July yesterday was the most wicked cracking of thunder for a good hour and then for another hour after an hour break. It sounded like houses exploding all around my place. I love that stuff though and wish we got more of it

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
Me too.

I hear thunder for about twenty minutes a year.

And lightning..Maybe once every three years, out here. I love a sunny afternoon, crazy thunderstorm, sunny afternoon kind of day. Never happens though.

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
Small Update: After being in the clinic for 6 weeks I'm back in the day clinic thing (no idea what its called in english :D) where it all started. Had some really really rough weeks in the clinic, especially after they took out some medicine but got through it and "enjoyed" my stay there in the end. Had some doubts about going home again and didn't know if I was ready yet, but the first 2 days were fine and I started the day clinic again today. No idea how long it will take or how long ensurance will pay for it, but I imagine that I'll be there for another 6-10 weeks. It's so exhausting and I just hope that I didn't go through this for nothing in the end. Thanks for all the support here, even though I wasn't able to post much on here during my stay there.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Small Update: After being in the clinic for 6 weeks I'm back in the day clinic thing (no idea what its called in english :D) where it all started. Had some really really rough weeks in the clinic, especially after they took out some medicine but got through it and "enjoyed" my stay there in the end. Had some doubts about going home again and didn't know if I was ready yet, but the first 2 days were fine and I started the day clinic again today. No idea how long it will take or how long ensurance will pay for it, but I imagine that I'll be there for another 6-10 weeks. It's so exhausting and I just hope that I didn't go through this for nothing in the end. Thanks for all the support here, even though I wasn't able to post much on here during my stay there.
Good to hear from you and even better that you are making progress :D One step at a time.

Reactions: Daeni10

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Looks like the sweltering ass-soup we've been calling weather the last week finally broke... into a massive thunderstorm that took the power with it. Huzzah.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I got really bad sunburn at the pool yesterday, like to the point of getting blisters because of it. I was only outside for about an hour and a half, but that was enough I guess.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I swore I wouldn't complain about the heat after the miserable Winter we had but holy **** is it one of the worst feelings in the world to take a shower, get out and immediately start sweating profusely.

I complained about the winter and knew I’d complain about the summer. The heat has been horrific for almost a week. f*** it all.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I complained about the winter and knew I’d complain about the summer. The heat has been horrific for almost a week. **** it all.

We've been getting ridiculous weather in the UK too, mostly unbearable due to the humidity

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I complained about the winter and knew I’d complain about the summer. The heat has been horrific for almost a week. **** it all.

It's tough not for me to notice that it's completely brutal out there. I tried to keel over into the pool the other day and the air caught me. It's like Satan's crotch out there.

I have to wear slacks and dress shirts to work, too. And the AC has been out for the last week. So that's been fun. BRB... gotta go wring out my shirt again...

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I did this with a whole pineapple once.

That was a bad few days.

I'm not gonna lie, I thought I had a pretty monster fart lined up to do a drive by with my gf sitting on the sofa watching her lame travel shows, but I let out a little peep and it didn't feel right, so I was like you know what, let's just sit on the toilet for this one, I have more cherries, I can reload that chamber...thank god I did, it was like mount Vesuvius exploded out of my butt.

I had to cancel my gym plans because of it, I can't do squats or cardio, I also do not want my butt touching the toilet at the gym.

Speaking of Pineapples, I have one that I need to cut, I might just avoid eating that with cherries still in my system.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
We've been getting ridiculous weather in the UK too, mostly unbearable due to the humidity

On the weekend my weather app said it felt like 42 and had 70 or 80 something percent humidity. It felt like death.

It's tough not for me to notice that it's completely brutal out there. I tried to keel over into the pool the other day and the air caught me. It's like Satan's crotch out there.

I have to wear slacks and dress shirts to work, too. And the AC has been out for the last week. So that's been fun. BRB... gotta go wring out my shirt again...

The AC died on a packed train and there was a delay. It takes a lot to make me really sweat and I was gross by the end.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'm not gonna lie, I thought I had a pretty monster fart lined up to do a drive by with my gf sitting on the sofa watching her lame travel shows, but I let out a little peep and it didn't feel right, so I was like you know what, let's just sit on the toilet for this one, I have more cherries, I can reload that chamber...thank god I did, it was like mount Vesuvius exploded out of my butt.

I had to cancel my gym plans because of it, I can't do squats or cardio, I also do not want my butt touching the toilet at the gym.

Speaking of Pineapples, I have one that I need to cut, I might just avoid eating that with cherries still in my system.

Yeah. My pineapple ordeal was years ago. I was smokin' my mind a bit earlier that hot Summer afternoon and honestly that pineapple was probably the greatest thing, to that point in my life, that I had ever tasted. So of course I ate the whole thing.

Three days on the throne, my friend. One of the worst mistakes I ever made. Much like you, I couldn't trust the resolve of my o-ring for the entire duration. It was like having the flu or something except JUST my ass was sick.

I had to go to work, too. Luckily they had nice facilities there and my boss was surprisingly understanding if not bemused.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad