OT: Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: Red Pandas > Shoes (Still)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Oceans Eleven
The Departed
The Fly
True Grit
3:10 to Yuma

There's a whole ****load if you count turning short films in to features, and a ****load more than that if you count the "classic" remakes like Cape Fear, The Maltese Falcon, or The Wizard of Oz etc. Remakes are nothing new.

None of those were within 20 years of each other. The gaps were long enough that better image/sound/effects/editing could enhance the original story.

The window for movie--remake--restart--sequel---spin off---etc is waaaaaay waaaay to0 close these days. HOW many Spider-Man franchises have we had since 2000?

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Oceans Eleven
The Departed
The Fly
True Grit
3:10 to Yuma

There's a whole ****load if you count turning short films in to features, and a ****load more than that if you count the "classic" remakes like Cape Fear, The Maltese Falcon, or The Wizard of Oz etc. Remakes are nothing new.
I haven't seen The Fly in a long time, I'm going to have to keep an eye out for it. :D

I'm not sure you can count The Departed as a remake. It's more of an Americanized foreign film. Definitely a good one though. Maybe I'm in the minority but I prefer the original True Grit. Someone should have gotten Bridges some Riikola. 3:10 to Yuma is a good one. I though it was a decent remake, on par or slightly better than the original.

I'm talking more about the recent remake boom of the last 15 years or so. IMO, there has been a stark shift away from quality towards making a quick buck. A remake like Cape Fear is a good example of doing it right.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
None of those were within 20 years of each other. The gaps were long enough that better image/sound/effects/editing could enhance the original story.

The window for movie--remake--restart--sequel---spin off---etc is waaaaaay waaaay to0 close these days. HOW many Spider-Man franchises have we had since 2000?

Lol, where do you want to start?

Spiderman Animation reboots or Spiderman Live Action reboots?

Even Fantastic Four was rebooted within 8yrs of each other.

Reactions: EightyOne

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The "Gone In 60 Seconds" remake from 2000 was fun I thought.
setIm9x.gif

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada

Hey now, I generally hate remakes. Especially horror ones.

Out of my entire horror blu-ray collection I have only one remake in it. And that is the remake of "I Spit On Your Grave" that I got included as a combo pack along with the original 1978 version of that film.

IIRC, both that blu-ray combo pack I have of those films (and especially the original '78 version) are out of print now and go for silly money. Not that I would ever sell em'

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

The amazing Spiderman was dumb. The new one rebooted within the Marvel universe is perfectly justified imo.

Also, the Ghostbusters remake was a 32 year gap. It's been 32 years since Big Trouble in Little China as well. Those are both longer than the gap between the versions of The Fly.

I'm not saying Hollywood doesn't have a remake or reboot problem, I'm just saying that it's not new.

Last edited:

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I'm not saying Hollywood doesn't have a remake or reboot problem, I'm just saying that it's not new.
Right but the REASONS they are remaking are bad. It isnt cause effects can be better or casting could be interesting. They simply have no other ideas and are scared of spending 200mil on a movie that flops, so are playing it safe with lame shit that is an already established intellectual property.

Own the rights to some movie? Remake it! People might be nostalgic enough to watch it and once we have their ticket money, we win!

Have an interesting original script? Hmm..no, thanks. Unless you can do it for 30mil and we will blame the flop on low budget or celebrate the cult classic by making 2 more sequels and ruining the story!

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I haven't seen The Fly in a long time, I'm going to have to keep an eye out for it. :D

I'm not sure you can count The Departed as a remake. It's more of an Americanized foreign film. Definitely a good one though. Maybe I'm in the minority but I prefer the original True Grit. Someone should have gotten Bridges some Riikola. 3:10 to Yuma is a good one. I though it was a decent remake, on par or slightly better than the original.
That's fair .
I'm talking more about the recent remake boom of the last 15 years or so. IMO, there has been a stark shift away from quality towards making a quick buck. A remake like Cape Fear is a good example of doing it right.
I'd be curious to hear the discussions on this topic from the previous generation. I'm sure somewhere there was someone calling those old remakes unnecessary, they just didn't have the internet to help them make any noise about it.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Right but the REASONS they are remaking are bad. It isnt cause effects can be better or casting could be interesting. They simply have no other ideas and are scared of spending 200mil on a movie that flops, so are playing it safe with lame **** that is an already established intellectual property.
yeah that's true in a lot of the cases for sure. But to look at some cases, I can't really blame them. Some are certainly just bad ideas, but something like Fantastic Four I completely understand. It's such a good source that should be made well. If Disney does acquire Fox, I damn sure hope they immediately greenlight a new Fantastic Four. But then doing it for something like Big Trouble in Little China just has me scratching my head. Star Trek also had me scratching my head, and I really liked the first of the new ones. Not so much the sequels, but that's a whole different problem :laugh:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Have an interesting original script? Hmm..no, thanks. Unless you can do it for 30mil and we will blame the flop on low budget or celebrate the cult classic by making 2 more sequels and ruining the story!
This is a part I take issue with. There are a TON of great original movies being made every year still. Though you're right that they tend to be smaller budgets, so I guess I don't really take issue, I just disagree with it being much of a problem. It's mostly the big budget stuff that has changed. I have the good fortune of being the target audience of most of the big budget action franchises these days :laugh:

There are also some damn good sequels to classics being made. Mad Max Fury Road is easily the best of the series. Blade Runner 2049 is great. These are the exceptions and not the rule, but still.

Last edited:

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
This is a part I take issue with. There are a TON of great original movies being made every year still. Though you're right that they tend to be smaller budgets, so I guess I don't really take issue, I just disagree with it being much of a problem. It's mostly the big budget stuff that has changed. I have the good fortune of being the target audience of most of the big budget action franchises these days :laugh:

There are also some damn good sequels to classics being made. Mad Max Fury Road is easily the best of the series. Blade Runner 2049 is great. These are the exceptions and not the rule, but still.

I can't wait to see if the Avatar sequels stink it up. Given the first one was super generic in story, but had enormous escapism 'value' it was a massive success.

I myself saw it several times, I'll never forget, I just graduated RDC (Recruit Division Command (Navy boot camp)) and had a few days until flying out to A School I went to see Avatar every single day I could and I would see it sometimes 2 times a day. It was so relaxing after 9 weeks of misery.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I can't believe how unprepared I am right now for a day of beach frisbee. It's already so hot.

Wow what a miserable day you have lined up. Here I am having to mow the lawn in this muck with eminent swamp arse and extreme heat fatigue and poor you - having to play beach frisbee !!

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Wow what a miserable day you have lined up. Here I am having to mow the lawn in this muck with eminent swamp arse and extreme heat fatigue and poor you - having to play beach frisbee !!

I’m driving to Banff soon. 9 hour drive but it’s very very scenic :)

Reactions: shoplifter

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I’m driving to Banff soon. 9 hour drive but it’s very very scenic :)

Wow I'm extremely jealous! What seemingly untouched and majestic beauty that is! You sir, are extremely lucky!
Are you camping there or what? My that is gorgeous....

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
So what do you do when you are at this unbelievably beautiful place?

I used to go every year and drink lots with my friends :laugh:. Can’t do that anymore so just stick to checking out mountains, hot springs, lakes. Probably do some white water rafting and some hikes and not get too close to the bears, elk, cougars and moose.

Just the drive is spectacular. 1/3rd of the way there now.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Did HF take away the ability to edit posts? I can't edit any of my posts and I don't believe I have any infractions. If so, that's horrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad