OT: Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: Party Like It's 1699

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Yeah, that's what I thought after I told her. But this way, we have 3 more months to sort things out and maybe we can stay friends. I told her Tuesday and yesterday was really awkward. I've never been so uncomfortable sitting in class.

The girl I spoke about early came to me shortly after this blood letting I had with her, and asked if we can be friends. I basically said I don't want to be friends. I clearly want to have a serious relationship with you, why would I cause myself the misery of sticking around and watching you date other people while we're friends? Uh...no thanks, I think I'm all set.

Anyone that's not taking a highly employable major like engineering or computer science is well served to pick up a second major in something like accounting or marketing if it isn't too much extra money. It can also be an excellent way to strategically hide an extra year looking for work if the job market is weak.

That is one reason why I took another semester. It didn't help really because of the situation the country was in, but if I had taken my original graduation date, it would have just been 6 months longer I sat jobless - which ended up being around a year and a half anyways. What a terrible time in my life looking back.

My goal going into college was to learn how to run a business. I majored in entrepreneurship, and then picked up marketing my last 3 semesters.

member 51464

I miss Dread Pirate Roberts...that was the most random college rivalry to have on a Pens board :laugh:

He just sorta disappeared in the 2012 off-season...no clue what happened to him.

Very sad. One day I too will get a life and stop posting here....

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Very sad. One day I too will get a life and stop posting here....

When I was in college, I posted here a ton because I would stay on campus all day. Any time I had to kill, I would hop on a computer in the lab and talk about hockey.

The last 8 months have probably been the least I have posted here since joining, and part of it is because I do have an active life (entirely too active for my liking), but another is because the quality of hockey discussion has went down. The people who I really came here to talk hockey with are not posting, or do not post as frequently - probably for the same reasons.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
When I was in college, I posted here a ton because I would stay on campus all day. Any time I had to kill, I would hop on a computer in the lab and talk about hockey.

The last 8 months have probably been the least I have posted here since joining, and part of it is because I do have an active life (entirely too active for my liking), but another is because the quality of hockey discussion has went down. The people who I really came here to talk hockey with are not posting, or do not post as frequently - probably for the same reasons.

Grad school has killed my hockey knowledge. I've been living in a furnished apartment with a crumby TV so I haven't seen much major junior or non-Penguins NHL hockey the last couple years, so I don't feel like I have much intelligent to say. I find I get more active around the World Juniors and then lose interest after July 1st.

Next season I'll hopefully be in a new place where I can get a nice 50 or 60 inch TV setup going.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I can't even put into words how much more I have been enjoying watching games this year without reading along on here. I still hop on for some discussion from time to time, but it just lets me relax when I watch now.

penguins2946*

I can't even put into words how much more I have been enjoying watching games this year without reading along on here. I still hop on for some discussion from time to time, but it just lets me relax when I watch now.

Yeah GDTs here makes me jaded towards Pens games. Whenever I'm reading along and following the GDT, I notice only bad things because that's the only thing anyone in the GDT ever notices. Also, the constant circle jerk about Kunitz/Scuderi/Martin/Adams sucking, the young players not playing enough or just the general arrogance of some in the GDT is really frustrating to read. I've stopped following along with the GDTs here for the most part for that specific reason.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

But, I miss you. :cry:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
BA22N5nCMAAF8J0.jpg

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I know I don't contribute much, but I've also noticed the dip in quality of [hockey] posts here. Going into the GDTs or Roster discussions and you just see the same thing from the same people arguing about the same things over and over again.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I know I don't contribute much, but I've also noticed the dip in quality of [hockey] posts here. Going into the GDTs or Roster discussions and you just see the same thing from the same people arguing about the same things over and over again.

that's the big thing I've noticed for sure. I don't feel like I miss anything by coming here less because the conversation going on three months ago is almost exactly the same as the ones going on today :laugh: roster changes change things up for a little bit, but then its right back to the same stuff. I don't necessarily blame anybody for it. There's really only so much to say before you go full circle.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
that's the big thing I've noticed for sure. I don't feel like I miss anything by coming here less because the conversation going on three months ago is almost exactly the same as the ones going on today :laugh: roster changes change things up for a little bit, but then its right back to the same stuff. I don't necessarily blame anybody for it. There's really only so much to say before you go full circle.

"So I know he's been having a bad season so far, but let's talk about Chris Stewart..."

penguins2946*

"So I know he's been having a bad season so far, but let's talk about Chris Stewart..."

Stewart actually hasn't been mentioned for a while. I think the last time he was mentioned was when we brought in Perron, because people would be okay with Stewart now that we traded for Peron. I haven't been following the cap thread much recently, I usually only reply to posts that reply to mine and don't follow the other ones. Just from what I've seen, there's a lot of posts about trading Kunitz, though that shouldn't be surprising :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Stewart actually hasn't been mentioned for a while. I think the last time he was mentioned was when we brought in Perron, because people would be okay with Stewart now that we traded for Peron. I haven't been following the cap thread much recently, I usually only reply to posts that reply to mine and don't follow the other ones.

Yeah after we traded for Perron I've lost interest in that thread. Before we knew we would be trading for a winger so it was fun to discuss, but now that thread is kind of pointless to me.

I'm on board with trading Kunitz though haha.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Anyone that's not taking a highly employable major like engineering or computer science is well served to pick up a second major in something like accounting or marketing if it isn't too much extra money. It can also be an excellent way to strategically hide an extra year looking for work if the job market is weak.

Frankly, from the perspective as Humanities guy who makes a living doing humanities things, one of the major qualifications you can take up is a language. Being a native English speaker and fluent in one or more second languages is probably the best thing for your career in the humanities. In media, advertising, and marketing, if you want to work for one of the top agencies/companies, it opens you up to working abroad, which makes you a VERY attractive candidate, not even going into the benefits that multi-lingual people have as employees in general.

The worst thing about the American educational system is that people aren't forced to learn a second or third language, which is why lots of companies like Google are moving a lot of their marketing and advertising work to agencies outside the US-- less overhead (i.e. smaller agencies, not necessarily lower pay), highly skilled workforces, and in-house translation make for something way more attractive than what you get in the US these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad