OT: Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: Go See A Star War

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I usually work from home on Friday's but I've got to go in the office tomorrow. I wouldn't mind so much if I had things to do, but I don't.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I was just thinking, were the Star Wars prequels hated when they first came out, or did it take a few years for most people to realize they were subpar? Because I don't remember hearing that much negativity about them when they first came out.

Kind of makes you wonder if we'll all be saying good things about the sequel trilogy 10 years later.

Snooki Stackhouse

Dec 6, 2007
Pittsburgh
I was just thinking, were the Star Wars prequels hated when they first came out, or did it take a few years for most people to realize they were subpar? Because I don't remember hearing that much negativity about them when they first came out.

Kind of makes you wonder if we'll all be saying good things about the sequel trilogy 10 years later.

I think some reviews were pretty good for the Phantom menace, but a quick search on NY Times and Ebert shows that much of the praise was on the animation. To me, the animation has NOT held up over time. It's cartoonish and can no longer hide the dull writing. The thing with The Force Awakens (haven't seen it yet) is it looks to return to using real sets that age much more gracefully.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

Delayed reaction, for the most part...though I don't think it took too long for The Phantom Menace to turn from "hey, at least it's Star Wars" to fanboy rage hate.

I find it funny that my friends who were obsessed with the sequel trilogy when we were in high school refused to acknowledge their existence a few years later...but that's part of being a fanboy. Everything is in rose-tinted glasses at first and then every single minor flaw gets emphases with each re-watching of it.

And let's just get this out there - fanboy can be used as a disparaging term, but I think we're at a point of time where basically everyone is a fanboy of something so get over it. I'm that way about a certain few video game series and I'm simultaneously dripping with anticipation for Final Fantasy VII Remake and utterly horrified of how Square is going to **** it up because I'll never be able to play it for the first time again. Square changing the battle system to me is like Lucas adding CG dewbacks in the background for no ****ing reason.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
I still can't get over the fake Jabba in New Hope's CGI edition. Some effects were cool though, didn't mind Mos Eisley's upgrade for one except for the who shot 1st thing.

New species discovered:

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

I think there was some nerd rage pretty instantly and then everyone else really started piling on, iirc, but nerd rage always happens so whatever. I'm young enough that I think I was in the target demo for Jar Jar Binks, kids did like him then and I think that turned into a second wave of hate once they outgrew that and got old enough to see the other flaws. :laugh:

It was also cumulative, if the Phantom Menace had been the only crappy one it wouldn't have been so bad, but we all know that it wasn't. If anything I think time will mellow people out about the prequels (also The Hobbit) and it will end up being "not great but not an abomination to the sanctity of human existence." But then people really did grow to hate George Lucas so idk.

Although, the Eragon movie still has a special place of hate in my heart. Eat **** and die for eternity, pos.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Abrams did good or Jar Jar is a Sith?

I love the new characters, and there's nothing similar to jar jar. There's comedy mixed in, but its spread between characters instead of just one clown following the rest around. The CGI is done well and mixed with practical effects. Its really good. Not perfect, but really good.

I don't know how it compares to the original trilogy. I don't think I can decide until this trilogy is done and has had some time to settle in. But I can safely say its the best star wars movie made in my lifetime :laugh:

Last edited:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I have never seen a single Star Wars, and I don't plan on starting now.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

you're missing some really good movies. That said, there are surely hundreds of really good movies that I've never seen.

I would guess they are hard movies to get into as an adult. Not that they aren't good for adults, but with the amount of hype built around them its just impossible for them to live up to expectations without a bit of the sense of wonder that comes from watching them as a kid.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I love the new characters, and there's nothing similar to jar jar. There's comedy mixed in, but its spread between characters instead of just one clown following the rest around. The CGI is done well and mixed with practical effects. Its really good. Not perfect, but really good.

I don't know how it compares to the original trilogy. I don't think I can decide until this trilogy is done and has had some time to settle in. But I can safely say its the best star wars movie made in my lifetime :laugh:

It's weird to think how old the originals are.

You're broken inside and I don't like you.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
It's weird to think how old the originals are.

Which is why my biggest worry coming into this was Harrison Ford. Not so much him as an actor, but just how they would write Han and Chewie as old I guess. These are characters that haven't been touched in decades. They did a great job. It really felt like it was old Han Solo, not just a random old guy played by Harrison Ford. And Chewie is as awesome as ever.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Which is why my biggest worry coming into this was Harrison Ford. Not so much him as an actor, but just how they would write Han and Chewie as old I guess. These are characters that haven't been touched in decades. They did a great job. It really felt like it was old Han Solo, not just a random old guy played by Harrison Ford. And Chewie is as awesome as ever.

I never doubted they'd get that part right, tbh. Maybe that's weird. Pretty much everything else was but I figured they'd be golden there.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The new main actors are all sooooo much better than the prequals aside from ewan mcgregor. Its ridiculous how much better the acting (and directing/writing) is. Daisy Ridley even shows emotions ON HER FACE, which Natalie Portman seems to really struggle with.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Lucas was like poison to the actors in the prequels, none of them are as bad as they looked in those movies. Those things were such a mess everywhere. Clone Wars was a good cartoon, though.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Only scheduled for 6.5 hrs next week for work (retail) kind of sucks, but it's a great opportunity to apply to real jobs... Or sleep in, yup, gonna sleep in.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Lucas was like poison to the actors in the prequels, none of them are as bad as they looked in those movies. Those things were such a mess everywhere. Clone Wars was a good cartoon, though.

The people responsible for the sequel trilogy might agree with you. Hayden Christensen is rumored to be in Episode VIII.

By the way, yousa no liken Jar Jar Binks? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad