OT: Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: Go See A Star War

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Attack of the Clones wasn't terrible at all, thought it was the best of the prequels. It had a lot of the elements that made Star Wars great, but was still CGI'd over the top and had a lot of Lucas' story filler. The only prequel that was terrible was The Phantom Menace. TPM was just terribly written and directed, Lucas wanted to make the Anakin Skywalker Orgin Trilogy that only he wanted, every one else wanted a fraction of that, not 3 movies.

Not saying AotC was awful as it appears to have been the class of the prequel trilogy, but I was seeing it put right there with Return of the Jedi, and I don't think anyone over 20 would argue that today.

I'm going to be so pissed off if any one in this thread spoils TFA for me.

If someone does, report them and they'll be dealt with. I have zero tolerance for spoilers within a release window.

Unfortunately I'll be shocked if we make it to the weekend without the movie being massively spoiled all over the internet.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
AoTC had some of the absolutely worst dialogue of all three, though.

Some of the "romantic" scenes between Anakin and Padme permanently scarred me.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Awful dialogue is to a Star Wars movie as explosions are to a Michael Bay movie, to be fair.

Right. Even the originals were bad in that regard. It's just that time and cult status has draped the blanket of nostalgia over the entire thing.

Even by SW standards, though... AoTC's dialogue is miserable. The "I don't like sand" word diarrhea from Anakin alone was enough to nearly make me walk out of the theater.

Last edited:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Right. Even the originals were bad in that regard. It's just that time and cult status has draped the blanket of nostalgia over the eniter thing.

Even by SW standards, though... AoTC's dialogue is miserable. The "I don't like sand" word diarrhea from Anakin alone was enough to nearly make me walk out of the theater.

And Ford and much of the original cast improvised or rewrote their lines on set because the script was so bad, legend has it. :laugh:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
And Ford and much of the original cast improvised or rewrote their lines on set because the script was so bad, legend has it. :laugh:

I dunno if that's even legend. I feel like I've read that a few different places.

Something I didn't know until somewhat recently was that Lucas' then-wife had a TON to do with at least the first two movies and was a huge voice in the room. Most in the know credit her with the "feel" and charm of the old movies that so many people seem to latch on to.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
5>4>6>3>2>1

Yay or nay?

Yeah.

Though, my brother told me about the Machete Order (4, 5, 2, 3, 6; 1 is optional as it doesn't add much to the lore) and it makes the prequels better, basically as flashbacks and preserves all the twists.

The reason to skip Episode I isn't that it's bad, it's that it's irrelevant. If you accept my suggestion that Star Wars, the saga, is really about Luke's journey and his decision to accept his hero's burden by saving not only the galaxy from the Empire, but his father from the dark side as well, then you'll find that everything that happens in Episode I is a distraction from that story.

Seriously, think about it for a minute. Name as many things as you can that happen in Episode I and actually help flesh out the story in any subsequent episode. I can only think of one thing, which I'll mention later.

Every character established in Episode I is either killed or removed before it ends (Darth Maul, Qui-Gon, Chancellor Valorum), unimportant (Nute Gunray, Watto), or established better in a later episode (Mace Windu, Darth Sidious). Does it ever matter that Palpatine had an apprentice before Count Dooku? Nope, Darth Maul is killed by the end of Episode I and never referenced again. You may as well just start with the assumption that Dooku was the only apprentice. Does it ever matter that Obi-Wan was being trained by Qui-Gon? Nope, Obi-Wan is well into training Anakin at the start of Episode II, Qui-Gon is completely irrelevant.

Last edited:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Attack of the clones is easily the worst of the prequels imo. 1 fits into the series the least, but 2 is a worse movie. Both are terrible movies though.

Last edited:

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
So, my laptop died and I've had to order a new one. It's not a good thing, but it needed to be done and it's getting up there in years after taking a beating so I can't really complain. Except for the timing... the dead one is working better again. Not 100% but better. I don't trust it but for god's sake, I thought the poor thing was done and I was happy that it held on long enough for one last backup. :laugh: :help:

I guess it can be the emergency computer back up for however long it has left. You've got to respect the abuse it's taken and it's still soldiering on. It's clearly not a Penguin.

Attack of the clones is easily the worst of the prequels imo. 1 fits into the series the least, but 2 is a worse movie.

No, The Phantom Menace is the worst, imo. Ignoring the story and the cgi usage in it, the child actor and the most Jar Jar Binks of any of them are insurmountable flaws. They spent way too long on Tatooine and that whole arc. George Lucas needed adult supervision either way.

I can't even pretend that I'm not going to immediately read all of the spoilers before I see the new one. I am what I am.

Last edited:

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Having waited so long for #4 (#1 whatever) my expectations were too high. I thought Phantom Menace was a mix of "let's get kidz into it" + "let's sell video games & ****".

This time with JJ around... I'm less eager to see it even though I KNOW it'll be better than that piece of crap, thanks to GeOgre Lucash.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
No, The Phantom Menace is the worst, imo. Ignoring the story and the cgi usage in it, the child actor and the most Jar Jar Binks of any of them are insurmountable flaws. They spent way too long on Tatooine and that whole arc. George Lucas needed adult supervision either way.

I can't even pretend that I'm not going to immediately read all of the spoilers before I see the new one. I am what I am.

Darth maul is the best thing in either of the first 2 movies. And anakin and padme were every bit as bad in 2 as the kid was in 1. They are both mostly crap, so I rate them based on their bright spots. 1 has more fun bright spots.

I'm going to the first show at 7 Thursday. It's the only way I'm avoiding spoilers.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Having waited so long for #4 (#1 whatever) my expectations were too high. I thought Phantom Menace was a mix of "let's get kidz into it" + "let's sell video games & ****".

This time with JJ around... I'm less eager to see it even though I KNOW it'll be better than that piece of crap, thanks to GeOgre Lucash.

I'm cautiously excited but primed to do a full freak out if it sucks because of how the prequels burned everyone. But, yeah, I would be shocked if it was worse than George Lucas' previous offerings. If there was ever an example of a creative type needing people to tell them 'no' and intervene, it's him. Let him come up with the idea and then have everyone else do the details and execution.

Has anyone seen Willow? Christ. It's not awful but it does have GL's fingerprints all over it. Some bastardized Star Wars, LotR mashup.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
I'm cautiously excited but primed to do a full freak out if it sucks because of how the prequels burned everyone. But, yeah, I would be shocked if it was worse than George Lucas' previous offerings. If there was ever an example of a creative type needing people to tell them 'no' and intervene, it's him. Let him come up with the idea and then have everyone else do the details and execution.

Has anyone seen Willow? Christ. It's not awful but it does have GL's fingerprints all over it. Some bastardized Star Wars, LotR mashup.
Willow? :laugh: I actually liked it the 1st time i saw it, got worst the 2nd time & decided never to watch it again even though there was some entertainment value there for sure.

I agree with Lucash, guy needs advice, big time. Great guy but... I still can't believe we waited so long for that ****ing prequel only to get ****ed so hard. Anyway... it's now mainly out of his hands.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

Oh yes. I've seen Willow. Probably a few many times. Madmartigan? Sorsha? The Brownies? Leprechaun? I really loved that movie when I was a kid.

Have you seen Howard The Duck? Lucas was the executive producer of that abomination. It makes Willow look like Citizen Kane.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Darth maul is the best thing in either of the first 2 movies. And anakin and padme were every bit as bad in 2 as the kid was in 1. They are both mostly crap, so I rate them based on their bright spots. 1 has more fun bright spots.

I'm going to the first show at 7 Thursday. It's the only way I'm avoiding spoilers.

See, I go by most dark spots being the worst. :laugh: The first one is the worst of the bunch, child Anakin, Jar Jar and pacing was seriously bad. Neither was good, though, and the trilogies (nay, the entire series) had overreaching problems.

That kid was worse than adult Anakin and Padme. So bad, so, so bad. Gah.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Willow? :laugh: I actually liked it the 1st time i saw it, got worst the 2nd time & decided never to watch it again even though there was some entertainment value there for sure.

I agree with Lucash, guy needs advice, big time. Great guy but... I still can't believe we waited so long for that ****ing prequel only to get ****ed so hard. Anyway... it's now mainly out of his hands.

Yeah, it was entertaining... it's not even particularly bad, it's that everyone should have looked at that and looked at Lucas and seen what was going to happen. :laugh:

Oh yes. I've seen Willow. Probably a few many times. Madmartigan? Sorsha? The Brownies? Leprechaun? I really loved that movie when I was a kid.

Have you seen Howard The Duck? Lucas was the executive producer of that abomination. It makes Willow look like Citizen Kane.

Yeah... Howard the Duck was something that happened...

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
I actually never saw this before... Good **** imo:

...but i did see see the infamous SW Xmass holiday special back then. :laugh:
(enters Boba Fett! (animation but still his 1st appearance) the rest pretty much sucked lol)

A tribute:

Aaaaah **** it here's what brand new Boba looked like:

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space

I'm putting this here 'cause i've somewhat got that same feeling i had when i was waiting for the 4th installment.

(**** the 2nd trilogy)

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Willow is a cherished part of my childhood memories. I won't hear you talk bad about it. :laugh:

(Says the film and media studies lecturer.)

Also, goddamn, the Muppet Show was brilliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad