Injury Report: Big Buff Discussion 2

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
If a player breaks his leg in a car accident or pulls his groin while playing frisbee over the summer, the team can just suspend him or walk away from his contract? No way. Guaranteed contracts are guaranteed. There might be a clause about risky behaviour (didn't Selanne get in trouble for car racing?) but day to day accidental stuff would have to be covered.
If he wants to come back and play, then sure.

If buff slipped on a rock or a dock getting out of his fishing boat, doesn't do any rehab or inform the team in any way, shows up to camp and can't/won't skate and walks into chevys office the day before camp and tells the whole story and tries to quit.... that's different than:
1. Having an injury from the prior year and refusing to rehab
2. Exacerbating an injury from the previous season that had by all accounts healed and then been re- aggravated
3. A player being in a car accident, informing the team immediately and then following all protocol as laid out by team docs

Edit: honestly, I'm not sure anyone has seen an incident like the one I outlined... which is maybe why this is such a confusing, contentious clusterf***

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Buff rehabs and comes back to the Jets next season and it counts as the 2nd last year of his deal making 8m and 7.6m AAV.
JMo- Buff
Slamberg- Pionk
Heinola- Demelo
Niku/Poolman
The next season he retires...........

Reactions: Rheged

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Buff rehabs and comes back to the Jets next season and it counts as the 2nd last year of his deal making 8m and 7.6m AAV.
JMo- Buff
Slamberg- Pionk
Heinola- Demelo
Niku/Poolman

This would be great if this happened, and Buff returned. You never know in the world of sports ? and it wouldn't surprise me. We really need him right now.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
If he wants to come back and play, then sure.

If buff slipped on a rock or a dock getting out of his fishing boat, doesn't do any rehab or inform the team in any way, shows up to camp and can't/won't skate and walks into chevys office the day before camp and tells the whole story and tries to quit.... that's different than:
1. Having an injury from the prior year and refusing to rehab
2. Exacerbating an injury from the previous season that had by all accounts healed and then been re- aggravated
3. A player being in a car accident, informing the team immediately and then following all protocol as laid out by team docs

Edit: honestly, I'm not sure anyone has seen an incident like the one I outlined... which is maybe why this is such a confusing, contentious clusterf***
Yes, there's probably a contractual responsibility on the player's part to keep the team informed and consult with and follow the advice of their medical staff. And yeah, there's no telling if some additional injury happened over the summer.

We don't all the details, but it seems reasonable to assume that Buff's ankle (or something...but probably ankle) was still bugging him at the end of last season.

He then decided to take the summer off to see if that would help (and maybe this was against the advice of the Jets medical staff).

He gets on skates the day before camp and his ankle still hurts, plus he's out of shape from taking it easy all summer, so he decides to retire.

Chevy says "Whoa! Maybe think about this for a bit."

Buff thinks for a month. Decides he wants to come back but his ankle still bothers him.

And at this point, I think things went off the rails...maybe he had some kind of disagreement with the Jets medical staff about how to deal with the ankle, or maybe he thinks they misdiagnosed the original injury and he's mad or doesn't trust them, or maybe the Jets are mad at him for taking the summer off and pulling this retirement stunt the day before camp?

I think he approached them about coming back (Chevy said it looked like he was planning to return about a month in), but going on IR/LTIR and getting surgery and there was some disagreement about this - maybe the Jets medical staff didn't think it needed surgery or maybe management thought he should remain suspended until he was ready to start skating. Maybe it was all just miscommunication...but then Buff goes and gets surgery outside of the team and catches everyone off guard. Then comes the grievance. Everyone's mad at everyone now. Relationship poisoned.

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
JMo- Buff
Slamberg- Pionk
Heinola- Demelo
Niku/Poolman
This is also my fun hope haha, I really like the idea of those bottom 2 pairs though obviously two rookies feels unlikely.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Even if a player hurts himself in the offseason, if he's under contract, then the team would be on the hook. If he hurts himself while suspended...that's probably different. But I don't think that's the case. Could be. I think getting an injury while suspended means a player is out of luck...or at least it's at the team's discretion if they want to take the player back on.

From CBA

23.4 A Player under an SPC who is disabled and unable to perform his duties as a hockey Player by reason of an injury sustained during the course of his employment as a hockey Player, including travel with his team or on business requested by his Club, shall be entitled to receive his remaining Paragraph 1 Salary and Signing Bonuses due in accordance with the terms of his SPC for the remaining stated term of his SPC as long as the said disability and inability to perform continue but in no event beyond the expiration date of the fixed term of his SPC.

If the Player, in the judgment of the Club's physician, is disabled or is not in good physical condition at the commencement of the season or at any subsequent time during the season (unless such condition is the direct result of any injury sustained during the course of his employment as a hockey Player with the Club, including travel with his team or on business requested by the Club) so as to render him unfit to play skilled hockey, then it is mutually agreed that the Club shall have the right to suspend the Player for such period of disability or unfitness, and no compensation shall be payable for that period under this SPC.

Not a lawyer , but the way I read this...

- if you get hurt and it's hockey related or team requested, you get paid.
- if you get hurt and it's not hockey related or team requested, the team can suspend you without pay.

So if you are going to slip and fall and twist you ankle while in a fishing tournament, make sure it's one the Jets asked you to participate in OR make sure you are fixed up by training camp.. Just an example, not saying that's what happened..

Last edited:
Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Oh, I think it's rather evident that the relationship between team and player has moved to the "irreconcilable differences" phase. Sure, Chevy could sit on Buff's contract for the next year and a bit being "in control" of the situation but I would laugh if Buff pulled another out of the blue move and showed up, all 350 pounds of him or whatever, and said, yeah OK, I want to play, let's get going on your rehab program for me. I mean, then what do the Jets do? If Buff really wanted to be a prick about this, I think he could still cause this team some pain.

Then they suspend him for reporting out of shape. And he still owes the Jets 2 years. That could go on indefinitely unless either he retires or the Jets terminate.

Reactions: sipowicz

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If the injury is not related to hockey at all, I'm not so sure

Pro sports contracts usually list some prohibited activities, like mountain climbing and sky-diving. If the player didn't injure himself in a prohibited activity, I think the team is on the hook.

Edit: Apparently team's discretion.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
From CBA

23.4 A Player under an SPC who is disabled and unable to perform his duties as a hockey Player by reason of an injury sustained during the course of his employment as a hockey Player, including travel with his team or on business requested by his Club, shall be entitled to receive his remaining Paragraph 1 Salary and Signing Bonuses due in accordance with the terms of his SPC for the remaining stated term of his SPC as long as the said disability and inability to perform continue but in no event beyond the expiration date of the fixed term of his SPC.

If the Player, in the judgment of the Club's physician, is disabled or is not in good physical condition at the commencement of the season or at any subsequent time during the season (unless such condition is the direct result of any injury sustained during the course of his employment as a hockey Player with the Club, including travel with his team or on business requested by the Club) so as to render him unfit to play skilled hockey, then it is mutually agreed that the Club shall have the right to suspend the Player for such period of disability or unfitness, and no compensation shall be payable for that period under this SPC.

- if you get hurt and it's not hockey related or team requested, the team can suspend you without pay.

So if you are going to slip and fall and twist you ankle while in a fishing tournament, make sure it's one the Jets asked you to participate in. Just an example, not saying that's what happened..

Sounds right to me. We hear about players injuring themselves at home quite often. AFAIK, they get paid - but it is at the team's discretion.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
From CBA

So if you are going to slip and fall and twist you ankle while in a fishing tournament, make sure it's one the Jets asked you to participate in. Just an example, not saying that's what happened..
I'm sure teams have that option...but would they use it? Seems like it wouldn't be a very popular move with the players...

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
I'm sure teams have that option...but would they use it? Seems like it wouldn't be a very popular move with the players...

I can't recall an instance where a player was suspended when injuring themselves outside the rink. Sakic once broke his hand fixing a snowblower or something and wasn't suspended. I would venture to guess that if Byfuglien showed up to camp injured requiring surgery, he would have been rehabbed without a suspension.

Reactions: surixon

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

your absolutely right. I would imagine it all depends on what you did to hurt yourself and your relationship with the team. If you hurt yourself doing some day to day thing that everyone does I’m sure the team wouldn’t suspend you, but if you did something stupid they might.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
IMG_72951.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad