Injury Report: Big Buff Discussion 2

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
The jets went through a defensive rebuild and had no chance at winning a cup in the last 2 years of buffs contract.

If this didn’t happen buff would of pushed his body and went for a cup.

Buff doesn’t deserve all the blame here

Last edited:
Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
The jets went through a defensive rebuild and had no chance at winning a cup in the last 2 years of buffs contract.

If this didn’t happen but would of pushed his body and went for a cup.

Buff doesn’t deserve all the blame here

Sorry but Buf lost me when he walked out on the team just as camp was about to start and than filed a grievance against the team.

Reactions: Bigfish

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Sorry but Buf lost me when he walked out on the team just as camp was about to start and than filed a grievance against the team.

I think his agent and NHLPA were the main factors behind the grievance. I don't think it would've ended in Buff dropping it if he was behind it.

Assuming the agent makes around 5% commission, that's $700,000 for him hes losing as well. The PA is trying to avoid a precedent where a team can suspend a player who arrives with an injury. All due process stuff.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
He did it for the money. When he made enough, he quit on his team and fans right as the season was starting. He had no passion for the game. He was just good at hockey. In high school he was cut and said he was okay with it as it gave him time to hunt and fish instead.

Sure you can always find a way to look at it from a certain POV that fits your agenda.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I wish the agent was asked why he didnt choose to retire and simply unretire if he wanted to come back. You can do that and even come back the next sesson. Mike Fisher did that with preds a few seasons back. Still waiting on that answer.

By terminating the contract , he basically assured NOT coming back to wpg. The only difference with retiring is if he came back, his contract and nhl rights would revert back to winnipeg. . He would get his original yearly salary and play in a place (according to his agent) that he has no issue playing in.

Last edited:

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
It sure sounds like he’s mentally done.
30 other teams would gladly take him at a big dollar.
If he was simply about money he’d likely go to the highest bidder and go through the motions.
Appears he isn’t even interested in that.
His agent was honest enough to say he wishes Buff would play again...because it would benefit him ( I took the agents comments as light hearted)
Hope Buff has a long and healthy retirement.
Also hope the organization has a tribute planned eventually.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
If he was simply about money he’d likely go to the highest bidder and go through the motions.
His agent was honest enough to say he wishes Buff would play again...because it would benefit him ( I took the agents comments as light hearted)

That tribute game if it happens is one I won’t miss. I doubt Buff would agree to it (just because that isn’t him) but Emily will want her kids to witness it and that will eventually win the day.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
If Buff quit on the team and then came back and played for another team i would be pissed but he didn't. Buff lost the will to play the game of hockey so it's not like the Jets could have traded him either. I would rather he went out the way he did than play half ass and go out on that note. Can't wait for Covid to be over and be in the arena for Buff night. :nod:

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
If Buff quit on the team and then came back and played for another team i would be pissed but he didn't. Buff lost the will to play the game of hockey so it's not like the Jets could have traded him either. I would rather he went out the way he did than play half ass and go out on that note. Can't wait for Covid to be over and be in the arena for Buff night. :nod:
It's the timing of it that gets me upset. Had he walked away at the end of the season and gave his team a chance to plan without out him that would be fine. I wouldn't want a guy on a team that doesn't have the heart to play anymore. It would have been nice if Chevy had that money available to use before the season started.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Knowing Buff he wouldn’t show up for his own Retirement Night. It would have to be held before the ice freezes but after the boat fishing is done with. Then it might be 50/50 he shows up.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't believe passing the end of year physical was a rumour.

I think you are ignoring too much of the story to support your .... anger, angst, judgement, whatever?

He first went to Chevy to retire. Yes, it was late in the off-season. He was clearly wrestling with the decision a bit. Can you blame him for that? Chevy talked him into taking more time to think it over.

Exactly how much of it progressed from there, we can only speculate. Eventually he filed a grievance. By then, he believed he had a legitimate hockey injury, right or wrong. I'll bet you would have done the same at that point.

His eventual retirement followed a messy path. Not entirely Buff's fault. But the only thing that would lead me to be PO'ed at Buff would be if he had then gone to play with some other team.

But since he hasn't played anywhere else, and doesn't appear to be interested in doing that, your issue is kind of meaningless.

He couldn't retire before he had made the decision to retire, could he? At the end of the season, he hadn't yet made that decision. The timing was unfortunate, but not malicious.

@tbcwpg happy? :)

extra work/time

Reactions: scelaton

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
wasn't he told the ankle would heal fine on its own? wasn't there a whole ordeal regarding him supposedly passing the end of year injury report or physical, despite the injury?
Yah, thats what was reported and Jets/Chevy claimed to be surprised he needed surgery claiming he passed the end of year physical in only needing some time to rest his ankle. No one in Jets org said he should have had surgery April or May that year? ( that I recall).

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Yah, thats what was reported and Jets/Chevy claimed to be surprised he needed surgery claiming he passed the end of year physical in only needing some time to rest his ankle. No one in Jets org said he should have had surgery April or May that year? ( that I recall).
Buff will remain silent. not even sure if we'll see him in Winnipeg for a retirement night. but i would guess that he screwed his ankle up or it didn't heal due to offseason activities. can't see another reason why he'd pay for surgery on his own.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
It's the timing of it that gets me upset. Had he walked away at the end of the season and gave his team a chance to plan without out him that would be fine. I wouldn't want a guy on a team that doesn't have the heart to play anymore. It would have been nice if Chevy had that money available to use before the season started.
From what I garnered from that interview, he didn't skate all summer and his first time on the ice was with the boys right before camp. His ankle may have felt fine until he got in skates

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Buff will remain silent. not even sure if we'll see him in Winnipeg for a retirement night. but i would guess that he screwed his ankle up or it didn't heal due to offseason activities. can't see another reason why he'd pay for surgery on his own.

Well, he seems an extremely 'lazy' person in some ways from what's been said, I could totally see him paying for the surgery himself just because it felt like less hassle, without giving 2nd thought to the possible implications. By 'lazy' I mean something like emotionally driven, seems like either he feels like doing something or he doesn't :)

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Hope so, too. Despite the mess that it "was". His end was not "usual", or " common", or "normal" ( to whatever normal means). And that was Buff in a nutshell, uncommmomn and unpredictable in many ways. What he wasn't was a detriment or uncommitted when he was actively playing for the Jets. Move on from the "ending that it was". Jets org appears to be trying to move on, move forward and improve again.
Big Buff deserves a ceremonial Thank You day and a valid place in the history of Jets alumni impactful players. Period. No matter whose feelings are hurt or have been hurt by his ending actions, "get over it please. And move forward".
Thank you for all the memories Buff. All the best in your future. Have a good day all!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->