Injury Report: Big Buff Discussion 2

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
From @Whileee in the closed thread:

Chevy holds all the cards now, as he should after living through this season with a messed up cap situation and patchwork D.

My guess is that he waits until Buff has clearly declared his intentions and acts accordingly. If Buff says he's not playing, he'll terminate and use the big cap space to facilitate some sort of deal.

Regardless, I have a hunch that Chevy is going to be quite active in the off-season.

Now that the TDL has passed, I'm hoping the contract will be quickly terminated. No more waiting on Buff.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I actually think they will wait and keep him suspended and wait until the off season then trade him like before or at the draft.

Reactions: Jetsetter

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Interesting thing I read somewhere (take it with a grain of salt, as I don't remember where), the Jets can choose to let this year of his contract slide. So this off season, there'd be 2 years of Buff available as a trade asset.

Of course, if Buff is completely done with hockey (very likely), trading him this off season is moot.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Highway1

Jan 9, 2017
Interesting thing I read somewhere (take it with a grain of salt, as I don't remember where), the Jets can choose to let this year of his contract slide. So this off season, there'd be 2 years of Buff available as a trade asset.

Of course, if Buff is completely done with hockey (very likely), trading him this off season is moot.
A reporter today asked Chevy this question and Chevy’s response was “ it’s up to us to decide what do with this season on his contract “

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
Buff should join Matt Dunigan and teach him how to filet and cook all that awesome pickerel. That would be a cooking show I would watch.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I actually think they will wait and keep him suspended and wait until the off season then trade him like before or at the draft.

Must be a lot of teams interested in a retired player who doesn't want to play hockey anymore!?!:sarcasm:

:D

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Cheveldayoff said he concluded in the past month that Byfuglien would not be playing this season.
"I guess it would be a couple of weeks ago when he should've progressed to the skating aspect of the rehab and he never did," he said.

"There's obviously some different things behind the scenes. There's still a work in progress there," Cheveldayoff told the Jets website. "Interestingly enough, Dustin essentially made the decision not to play this year and that essentially kind of squashed anything that might've happened for maybe someone to put him in their lineup this year. We can still trade him at any point in time, you know, with respect to the future as well, it's still a work in progress."

Nov 24, 2006
Cheveldayoff said he concluded in the past month that Byfuglien would not be playing this season.
"I guess it would be a couple of weeks ago when he should've progressed to the skating aspect of the rehab and he never did," he said.

"There's obviously some different things behind the scenes. There's still a work in progress there," Cheveldayoff told the Jets website. "Interestingly enough, Dustin essentially made the decision not to play this year and that essentially kind of squashed anything that might've happened for maybe someone to put him in their lineup this year. We can still trade him at any point in time, you know, with respect to the future as well, it's still a work in progress."
Another gem from Chevy. Say 1,000 words but don’t actually tell anyone anything.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
It might be a process, but I think in this case Chevy doesn't really know what he's going to do re: Buff.

On one hand you can terminate his contract, but then he can decide to play somewhere else and you got nothing for him. On the other, you can't trade him, because no one wants to trade for someone who may never play again, and it seems like Buff isn't going to tell anyone if he's going to play again.

It's almost like Buff heard the Jets were trying to trade him, so he decided he wasn't going to play this season, so the Jets couldn't trade him.

IMO something spiteful ( or sinister ) is going on here between the Jets and Buff.

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
It might be a process, but I think in this case Chevy doesn't really know what he's going to do re: Buff.

On one hand you can terminate his contract, but then he can decide to play somewhere else and you got nothing for him. On the other, you can't trade him, because no one wants to trade for someone who may never play again, and it seems like Buff isn't going to tell anyone if he's going to play again.

It's almost like Buff heard the Jets were trying to trade him, so he decided he wasn't going to play this season, so the Jets couldn't trade him.

IMO something spiteful ( or sinister ) is going on here between the Jets and Buff.

Really? How so?

He was in the Caribbean a week prior to the rumour the Jets were shopping him surfaced. He decided months ago he wasn't playing and nothing the Jets did changed that.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Another gem from Chevy. Say 1,000 words but don’t actually tell anyone anything.
I think he shared some important information (i.e. until recently they thought Buff might try to play this season, the Jets can "toll" the contract, they are still considering options including a trade), but people won't be satisfied unless he tells them what he's planning to do, which would be foolish of him.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

There might be a bit of a power struggle going on. Chevy made it clear that the Jets could "toll" his contract, which would essentially force Buff to either play for the Jets or remain on the sidelines (suspended) for the next two years. I think it means that if Buff wants to play again, the Jets will insist on having a say on where he plays (Winnipeg, or elsewhere via trade). That might be why they haven't terminated his contract and made him a UFA yet.

Reactions: Sixty Minute Man

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
There might be a bit of a power struggle going on. Chevy made it clear that the Jets could "toll" his contract, which would essentially force Buff to either play for the Jets or remain on the sidelines (suspended) for the next two years. I think it means that if Buff wants to play again, the Jets will insist on having a say on where he plays (Winnipeg, or elsewhere via trade). That might be why they haven't terminated his contract and made him a UFA yet.

I'm wondering if "tolling" the contract might be something the NHL would want them to do. You can't have players just walking away from contracts. Sure they don't get paid if that's what they want, but they are harming the asset management of the team.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

Oh, I think it's rather evident that the relationship between team and player has moved to the "irreconcilable differences" phase. Sure, Chevy could sit on Buff's contract for the next year and a bit being "in control" of the situation but I would laugh if Buff pulled another out of the blue move and showed up, all 350 pounds of him or whatever, and said, yeah OK, I want to play, let's get going on your rehab program for me. I mean, then what do the Jets do? If Buff really wanted to be a prick about this, I think he could still cause this team some pain.

Reactions: JetsUK and cbcwpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad