Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
So Lowry shared his injuries story with Friesen

Early season - back injury
2nd stint - separated shoulder
3rd stint - re-separated shoulder with "other issues"

Scoring down for Lowry, discipline up

An early season back problem cost the Jets centre nine games, and two separate shoulder injuries put him on the shelf for most of the last two and a half months.
“Slightly different,” Lowry said of the injuries to the same shoulder. “I separated my shoulder the first time, and then there was some more stuff that came up the second time. It re-separated, but that wasn’t really the thing that held me out the second time.”
He wouldn’t go into further detail, but said he’s “close enough to 100% as I’ll be this year.”
With eight goals and seven assists in 37 games, Lowry will fall well short of the career highs (15 and 14) he put up last season.

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
Yikes, same shoulder separated twice within months. Doesnt sound good. Really hope this doesnt effect his physical presence during the playoffs. We really need that pound and grind shutdown game from his line.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Big Adam Lowry's thread deserves a bump after last night's game. He was absolutely outstanding again.

On the season, despite very tough match-ups and zone starts, he has put together a fantastic season.

Points/60... 1.93 (8th on the Jets)
CF%... 57.4 (1st on the Jets)
xGF%... 60.7 (1st on the Jets)

He's been outstanding on the PK, too.

Just a great season, all around.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
For all the things Lowry doea well, I think the thing I'm most impressed with this year has been his ability to gain the zone under control. His skating has improved considerably and he no longer looks to just chip the puck in very often.

Love the guy.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
For all the things Lowry doea well, I think the thing I'm most impressed with this year has been his ability to gain the zone under control. His skating has improved considerably and he no longer looks to just chip the puck in very often.

Love the guy.
The improvement in his quickness / skating has been very impressive. He's going to be a key player in the playoffs, I think.

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
The improvement in his quickness / skating has been very impressive. He's going to be a key player in the playoffs, I think.
Agree. Big underrated part to go up against the other teams top centres.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016

Love the guy.
His skating is so so much better then when he was drafted and the first years after that. A real substantial improvement.

If another big prospect replicates the improvement it will be a key part in his development as well.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
He had several more of ''those shifts'' last night. Being the boss out there, physical, smothering then controlling the puck and generating offensive time and chances, then last a goal as well.

Copp and Lowry are integral parts of why this team is winning and can win deep.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
He had several more of ''those shifts'' last night. Being the boss out there, physical, smothering then controlling the puck and generating offensive time and chances, then last a goal as well.

Copp and Lowry are integral parts of why this team is winning and can win deep.
Lowry is one of those guys whose physicality means something, like puck possession. His hits often separate his opponent from the puck and even when they don't, his early physical play starts to create more space for him against many opponents as the game wears on. Last night, after a relatively quiet 1st, he started to amp up his play and later on I saw at least 3-4 times where a Leaf D took a less than direct route to the puck and Lowry was able to gain a lane and body position. His routes were so good last night, Copp's as well. That goal they combined on was as good an example of how effective they are supporting the puck down low, winning battles and creating chances. Playoff style goals.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Lowry is one of those guys whose physicality means something, like puck possession. His hits often separate his opponent from the puck and even when they don't, his early physical play starts to create more space for him against many opponents as the game wears on. Last night, after a relatively quiet 1st, he started to amp up his play and later on I saw at least 3-4 times where a Leaf D took a less than direct route to the puck and Lowry was able to gain a lane and body position. His routes were so good last night, Copp's as well. That goal they combined on was as good an example of how effective they are supporting the puck down low, winning battles and creating chances. Playoff style goals.
Yup.
What struck me in the wake of both the Boston and Leafs games was how we were described by their disgruntled fans as big, tough ruffians. Aside from the obvious irony in Boston's case, the fact is that we have become a big tough team without having a single Peluso/Thorburn-type player on the team. Lowry epitomizes the new Jets, where toughness is combined with speed, skill and puck possession. That is reflected in play across the lines, from Scheifele to Copp to that goon Tanev. It's a potent recipe, perfect for playoffs.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I tend to find the checking line boring to watch. But I love watching Lowry, Copp and Tanev grind down the opposition. It brings me great joy.

Good bump Whileee and tremendous numbers.

In the PGT I made one point and it was exactly the same one you just made Aggie. Lowry Copp and either Tanev or Armia make it enjoyable to watch a checking line again. I agree on the point that their physicality is functional and I believe not only is it used to win battles it also impacts the war in that it alters how lines play them as the game progresses. Being able to have a line that can eat the toughest match ups has a massive trickle down effect.

Adam has exceeded my expectations as far as his ceiling and I always liked him allot.

Back to one of my central points too and that is NHL salaries for forwards are more impacted by points scored than point differential so guys like Copp and Lowry should (fingers crossed) be high value assets if you compare what they are getting paid to how they impact the game. They are the anti Drew Stafford types.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Good bump Whileee and tremendous numbers.

In the PGT I made one point and it was exactly the same one you just made Aggie. Lowry Copp and either Tanev or Armia make it enjoyable to watch a checking line again. I agree on the point that their physicality is functional and I believe not only is it used to win battles it also impacts the war in that it alters how lines play them as the game progresses. Being able to have a line that can eat the toughest match ups has a massive trickle down effect.

Adam has no exceeded my expectations as far as his ceiling and I always liked him allot.

Back to one of my central points too and that is NHL salaries for forwards are more impacted by points scored than point differential so guys like Copp and Lowry should (fingers crossed) be high value assets if you compare what they are getting paid to how they impact the game. They are the anti Drew Stafford types.
Good post. Couldn't agree more.

I loved how they "broke" the Bergeron line vs. the Bruins. They were shutting them down so effectively that they broke the line up to try to get some scoring. They've done that to a lot of lines. They are also scoring some. Lowry and Copp can sting you with a goal here and there. Tanev has also really improved his play with the puck with more experience.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Good post. Couldn't agree more.

I loved how they "broke" the Bergeron line vs. the Bruins. They were shutting them down so effectively that they broke the line up to try to get some scoring. They've done that to a lot of lines. They are also scoring some. Lowry and Copp can sting you with a goal here and there. Tanev has also really improved his play with the puck with more experience.
Was impressed with Tanev's patience with the puck last night, he's improved a lot in that area. He didn't force it into areas and wasn't afraid to hang onto the puck along the wall, he tired a few Leafs out going up and down the wall.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Was impressed with Tanev's patience with the puck last night, he's improved a lot in that area. He didn't force it into areas and wasn't afraid to hang onto the puck along the wall, he tired a few Leafs out going up and down the wall.
Tanev has probably learned a thing or two this year. It has been incredible to see the progression from him and Lowry.

As the likelihood of us playing the Wild in round one is increasing, a part of me thinks how Lowry will be stapled to Staal's hip at home. Maurice has had an insane amount of confidence in Adam being able to take the worst of matchups, so I would not be shocked if the trend continued in the postseason.

Reactions: Ducky10

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
A year or two ago I remember when Lowry took a late tie game d zone faceoff, lost it and we got scored on with less than a minute left. We lost.

In the post game presser PoMo said he was going to keep putting him out there and he was being trained for a job.

Looks like PoMo's work and patience has paid off with Lowry.

Reactions: libertarian

Saidin

Mar 18, 2015
My biggest take away from this year was vs Philly at home. That Giroux line was eating the Schiefs line up. Maurice changed the match up so Lowry was against them. For the rest of the game it didn't matter, O zone, D zone, Lowry's line got the puck into the O zone and kept it there the entire shift. You could see how maddening the Giroux line was having to defend the entire game.

It was a beauty sight to behold.

Babooch

Jan 7, 2014
A year or two ago I remember when Lowry took a late tie game d zone faceoff, lost it and we got scored on with less than a minute left. We lost.

In the post game presser PoMo said he was going to keep putting him out there and he was being trained for a job.

Looks like PoMo's work and patience has paid off with Lowry.

Yea that mistake against Beagle and losing the puck to forsberg in the last Preds game are good lessons for him. Love Lowry, fresh legs but a wonky shoulder ...hope he can pick his spots well in the post season and stay healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->