Bettman visiting Winnipeg to meet with corporate sponsors, host a fireside chat with fans amid declining season ticket sales

Digital Kid

Jun 5, 2015
Calgary
I am not convinced that new housing tower will have many season ticket holders or many ticket purchasers come to that, so not sure how it helps the Jets?

Reaser

May 19, 2021
FWIW of the 53 least-attended NHL regular season games so far this season (the only 53 games sub-11k) the Jets were the home team in none of them.

40 for Arizona.
13 for San Jose.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
NFL is kind of funny though because lets face it - you could put a team almost anywhere and it would be successful. The NFL is just that popular (and it helps games are only once per week). People will travel to see a team. Birmingham isn't all that big, but they'd draw fans from all over Alabama. That's how Green Bay works - the team is in Green Bay for historical reasons, but they're basically the Milwaukee Packers.
No you couldn’t just put a team anywhere. There’s a reason why the NFL doesn’t have teams in Tuscaloosa, AL; Athens, GA; & Columbus. Jacksonville & Carolina are kind of messes.

sneakytitz

Mar 8, 2023
Atlanta, GA, USA
No you couldn’t just put a team anywhere. There’s a reason why the NFL doesn’t have teams in Tuscaloosa, AL; Athens, GA; & Columbus. Jacksonville & Carolina are kind of messes.

I wouldn't call Carolina a mess, quite the opposite. If I recall correctly, they've never been outside of the top 10, season by season, in terms of attendance (and they've had a few 1 and 2 win seasons). They sell A LOT of tickets. They're worth over $4 billion (higher than Buffalo, New Orleans, Detroit).

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Carolina is not a mess, their owner is. Jacksonville was a mistake but it was to spite Baltimore and St. Louis. If Taglibue had known the NFL would be competing with soccer globally by 2015, Jacksonville would have never gotten a team.

Reactions: sneakytitz

sneakytitz

Mar 8, 2023
Atlanta, GA, USA
Carolina is not a mess, their owner is. Jacksonville was a mistake but it was to spite Baltimore and St. Louis. If Taglibue had known the NFL would be competing with soccer globally by 2015, Jacksonville would have never gotten a team.

All things equal, and I know this is a hockey website, Jacksonville was the better than the only other alternative at the time: Memphis. Jacksonville isn't terrible but there are a lot of candidates that would be better. The problem is that those same candidates weren't around in '94, besides St. Louis. In an alternate universe the Oilers or Falcons are in Jacksonville and Houston and Atlanta are the expansions that followed, and we're in the same boat.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
All things equal, and I know this is a hockey website, Jacksonville was the better than the only other alternative at the time: Memphis. Jacksonville isn't terrible but there are a lot of candidates that would be better. The problem is that those same candidates weren't around in '94, besides St. Louis. In an alternate universe the Oilers or Falcons are in Jacksonville and Houston and Atlanta are the expansions that followed, and we're in the same boat.
I agree with this, but Jacksonville belongs with Dayton Ohio and Louisville Kentucky.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
Ownership mess brings instability. That’s my point. My other more salient point is that you can’t just drop an NFL team anywhere & it’s guaranteed success (henceforth, the reference to Tuscaloosa & Athens). But delusional fans & media in Canada think an NHL team anywhere there would work fine. QC won’t work & neither will Halifax, Saskatoon or any other small market. The business model changed a long time ago.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Ownership mess brings instability. That’s my point. My other more salient point is that you can’t just drop an NFL team anywhere & it’s guaranteed success (henceforth, the reference to Tuscaloosa & Athens). But delusional fans & media in Canada think an NHL team anywhere there would work fine. QC won’t work & neither will Halifax, Saskatoon or any other small market. The business model changed a long time ago.
There are 1.1 million people in the Quebec-Levis area. It could work, they just have no one with money. They should have just bid on the Vegas-Seattle expansion. It is what it is.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
There are 1.1 million people in the Quebec-Levis area. It could work, they just have no one with money. They should have just bid on the Vegas-Seattle expansion. It is what it is.
They did, remember. Quebecor didn’t cough up the money. Let’s face facts, I’m pretty sure the NHL didn’t really want any of those teams in the ‘79 merger. But they didn’t want a continued war with the WHA either. In a normal expansion cycle, none of those teams would’ve gotten a look. And yes, that includes Edmonton.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
They did, remember. Quebecor didn’t cough up the money. Let’s face facts, I’m pretty sure the NHL didn’t really want any of those teams in the ‘79 merger. But they didn’t want a continued war with the WHA either. In a normal expansion cycle, none of those teams would’ve gotten a look. And yes, that includes Edmonton.
This I agree with. I think Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg will be gone when their next arena deals are up in the 2040's. Too many guys have these teams on small NTC's for them to win anything.

• Haha
Reactions: HolyCrap and edog37

Lions67

Mar 6, 2018
Winnipeg
This I agree with. I think Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg will be gone when their next arena deals are up in the 2040's. Too many guys have these teams on small NTC's for them to win anything.
Your crazy.
That’s 20 years from now. Oilers just built a new arena, Calgary is about to start building theirs. MTS Centre will be old though. That one will be interesting but I dont see the Jets going anywhere either. Consider the fact that TNSE will basically own the entire downtown.A lot can happen from till then and tue economics of the league may look entirely different.

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com
FWIW of the 53 least-attended NHL regular season games so far this season (the only 53 games sub-11k) the Jets were the home team in none of them.

40 for Arizona.
13 for San Jose.
Good to know that a top NHL team is beating out the worst team in the league and a team playing in a college facility. Way to set the bar Winnipeg. :thumbu:

BTW Winnipeg's attendance the last 3 seasons is worse than the last 3 in Atlanta.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Good to know that a top NHL team is beating out the worst team in the league and a team playing in a college facility. Way to set the bar Winnipeg. :thumbu:

BTW Winnipeg's attendance the last 3 seasons is worse than the last 3 in Atlanta.

Well they shouldn't be in the college facility. The actual challenge in Winnipeg against the corporate sector in the next five years.

Your crazy.
That’s 20 years from now. Oilers just built a new arena, Calgary is about to start building theirs. MTS Centre will be old though. That one will be interesting but I dont see the Jets going anywhere either. Consider the fact that TNSE will basically own the entire downtown.A lot can happen from till then and tue economics of the league may look entirely different.
Way too many guys avoid playing there. That's what I feel, not what I want to happen.

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com
Well they shouldn't be in the college facility. The actual challenge in Winnipeg against the corporate sector in the next five years.
Winnipeg will be gone in a decade. When the average NHL franchise is worth upwards of 2 billion and the Jets are the bottom of the list of franchise values, there's not gonna be any justification in keeping a team in that market.

Lions67

Mar 6, 2018
Winnipeg
Winnipeg will be gone in a decade. When the average NHL franchise is worth upwards of 2 billion and the Jets are the bottom of the list of franchise values, there's not gonna be any justification in keeping a team in that market.
Going to bookmark this post.
In ten years time we can revisit this.
But I wouldn’t be surprised if it was Atlanta that get punted for a THIRD time..
See?… I can play your little game too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad