TBN: Bettman to Make Announcement Monday (hosting 2016 draft)

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
@pham1717

Black said he will bid on the All star game.

@BuffaloSabres

On an all-star game in #Buffalo 1 day, Bettman says he could see it as possibility. Black says Sabres will bid for one. Last held here 1978.

Last edited:

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
@BillHoppeNHL

#Sabres notes: Gary Bettman hints #Buffalo could host another outdoor game http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/gary-bettman-hints-sabres-could-host-another-outdoor-game/

We get an outdoor game when we are decent. Maybe (but doubtfully) next year. If not, definitely 2016-17.

We'll get an all-star game soon. They won't give us 2016 b/c we have the draft (just my guess they'd want to spread it out). 2017, according to Blues writer David Pagnotta (I think?), is reserved for Toronto for their 100th anniversary. There won't be one in 2018 due to the Olympics (unless they opt not to participate, obviously).

So my guess is we are a lock for the 2019 All-Star Game.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
One thing I've never understood with outdoor games is why we should have to "get" one. It was our idea to bring the winter classic back, Buffalo is the perfect place for outdoor games, can the NHL really stop them from just having their own once a year every year?

FoSotC

Aug 16, 2010
One thing I've never understood with outdoor games is why we should have to "get" one. It was our idea to bring the winter classic back, Buffalo is the perfect place for outdoor games, can the NHL really stop them from just having their own once a year every year?
Let's be real here; "Sid the Kid's Penguins" was the real marketing draw for that Winter Classic (outside of WNY, obv). The Sabres were just the opponent with the city willing to gamble on hosting the first event. Every other Winter Classic matchup since has involved much more marketable teams. It doesn't surprise me at all that we've only been able to host one so far, and I doubt the NHL will be coming to us with the idea of the Sabres participating in another one. The team will probably have to badger the league until they can convince them it'll be worth their while to come back and have one here again over sexier locations.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Let's be real here; "Sid the Kid's Penguins" was the real marketing draw for that Winter Classic (outside of WNY, obv). The Sabres were just the opponent with the city willing to gamble on hosting the first event. Every other Winter Classic matchup since has involved much more marketable teams. It doesn't surprise me at all that we've only been able to host one so far, and I doubt the NHL will be coming to us with the idea of the Sabres participating in another one. The team will probably have to badger the league until they can convince them it'll be worth their while to come back and have one here again over sexier locations.

The Sabres had won the presidents cup the year before as well having been to the ECFs 2 years in a row.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

The Sabres were one of the most visible and popular teams out of the lockout.

Deleted member 27798

I repeat, why can't we just do it without permission?
My guess is that you cannot do certain things without league permission including playing a game somewhere other than one of the NHL venues.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@BNHarrington - NHL announces presser in Nashville Friday morning.
Chatter about Predators continues to be 2016 All-Star Game with Toronto a good bet for 2017 All-Star Game.

@BNHarrington - If 2017 All-Star Game goes to Toronto, doubt NHL would be here in 2018.
Plus Sabres aiming for World Junior Championships that year. Seems All-Star Game in Buffalo no earlier than 2019.

LaxSabre - NHL Draft-2016 - Winter Classic-2017 - World Juniors-2018 - All-Star Game-2019. Sounds good to me!

Last edited:

Jim Carr's Rug

Jan 16, 2006
Denver
@BNHarrington - NHL announces presser in Nashville Friday morning.
Chatter about Predators continues to be 2016 All-Star Game with Toronto a good bet for 2017 All-Star Game.

@BNHarrington - If 2017 All-Star Game goes to Toronto, doubt NHL would be here in 2018.
Plus Sabres aiming for World Junior Championships that year. Seems All-Star Game in Buffalo no earlier than 2019.

LaxSabre - NHL Draft-2016 - Winter Classic-2017 - World Juniors-2018 - All-Star Game-2019. Sounds good to me!

What year will the SC finals be in Buffalo? Any announcement on that? :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad