Bettman says crackdown on slashing next season

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Believe it when I see it in the spring. All this hard talk usually blows over when the games mean a playoff pot.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
they should retroactively suspend Crosby for 50 games for what he did to Methot

So you'd also want half the league suspended too? Because every single player (including those on your favorite team) has made the exact same maneuver with the slash on zone dumps

BogsDiamond

Anybody get 2 U yet?
Mar 16, 2008
Bettman says plan is to have more strict interpretation on slashing next year. #NHL is concerned about injuries. More discussion this summer.

giphy.gif

First, we all know that they'll crack down for the first two months, but by January, when playoff races heat up, the refs will swallow their whistles.
By the SCF, you can impale a player and not get a penalty.

Secondly, what's up for interpretation?

Slashing (ice hockey) ... Any forceful or powerful chop with the stick on an opponent's body, the opponent's stick, or on or near the opponent's hands that, in the judgment of the referee, is not an attempt to play the puck, shall be penalized as slashing.

How many slashes do you see that are an attempt at the puck??
IMO, just make it so that if any part of your stick touches a players stick or body, it's a slash or 'Stick infraction".

Get rid of Tapping. What the EFF is that good for anyway other than to prevent talented players from using their talent.
I know the NHL hates creativity and offense, but come on already! Nobody pays to watch a 4th liner slash an all-star up and down the ice all night.

I want to believe the league will crack down on this, but we all know it's bunk.
The reason why I love offsides, icing and pucks over the glass is that there's NO interpretation needed. It's black and white.
As soon as you allow refs to throw away the rule book and dictate what is a penalty and what isn't, the league goes in the toilet and the offense is dragged down with it.
It's like being 'kind of pregnant'

Make the rules BLACK AND WHITE. If it's a slash, CALL THE EFFING SLASH!!!

For all the bluster about how tough hockey players are, I've never seen a group of big, strong athletes cry and whine more than hockey players when they break the rules and get called on it.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Crack down... on slashing.

There's a joke in here somewhere. I know it.

BogsDiamond

Anybody get 2 U yet?
Mar 16, 2008
Good.

Someone I know has 'some' insight in the NHL (brothers, cousins, first neighbour so take it for what it's worth).

But he said the refs all have incredible ego's and they don't take to direction/suggestions very well.
Much like the plate umpire, they think the game is about them and they'll dictate the game how they see fit.

I think the NHL needs to take the officiating back to Ground Zero.
Make sure they know they are employees of the league and that they expect the rulebook to be called as it's written.
Then tell all the manages and coaches that any lip about too many penalties will result in loss of draft picks.
Any players that complain or go nuts on the ice get an auto 2-game suspension.

They need to scorch the earth on this so that everyone involved with hockey from the NHL down to grassroots minor leagues, learns that the refs will call everything and there is no more 'gray' area.

It'll never happen, but it's a dream.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Someone I know has 'some' insight in the NHL (brothers, cousins, first neighbour so take it for what it's worth).

But he said the refs all have incredible ego's and they don't take to direction/suggestions very well.
Much like the plate umpire, they think the game is about them and they'll dictate the game how they see fit.

This is ridiculous.

How long a ref works, whether they get playoff games, etc is determined by the league based on their ability to call the games the way the league wants them to be called. The league constantly adjusts their rules and referees get new instructions every year, and it's never framed as indictment of what they were and weren't calling the year before.

Last year goalie interference was a big topic of conversation and they executed a much more stringent interpretation of those rules all year.

Last edited:

TeamBandWagon

Sep 28, 2015
...until the playoffs. That's when the league needs to call it just as tight as the regular season. But they won't.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
"NHL refs to start calling 20% of penalties in the regular season, up from 25%, but will go right back to 2% in the playoffs."

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Did they review the 150 to 200 crosschecks that happened in the playoffs? Or like idiots are they watching the video and ignoring the 50 other rules that are being broken during their expert analysis?

"Quick Gary cover your eyes, this one is not a slash"

"Did someone get hurt?"

"Well yes but its not a slash and we are concerned about safety of our players"

"But Crosby in the Washington series..."

"We are concerned about their fingers, fingers don't grow back, concussions go away"

"Thanks Colin, i am glad you are always here to talk some sense during the dark times"

Dieseloil

Jul 31, 2016
It seems slashing a brittle metal stick has turned into a penalty, but slashing a glove is not. No need to change the rules yet again, hire some competent officials that can call a game fairly. And this BS of putting the whistle away late in a playoff game, lots of illegal hooking, slashing and interference then. But early in the game, same garbage is called. By the referees being afraid of being criticized, they look worse in the end. This year was worst officiated playoffs in recent memory.

Saku11

Jan 25, 2010
As long as they dont go overboard its fine. If Crosby-Methot slashes get over two minutes its too much. You still have to try to play the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad