Bettman says crackdown on slashing next season

DuckedUpOnQuack

Aug 2, 2005
Ottawa
Why dont they just crack down on all penalties which are penalties.

Yeah I don't get why they pick something and crack down on it each year. Or wait until way after something becomes a problem to start enforcing it.

Just call the ****ing penalties, and start handing out fines/suspensions regardless or someone's salary or jersey.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Feel a stick tap you? Jiggle your arm or bunch over in pain to sell the call. Should go well.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Odd question: Is Gary hof bound after he retires?

Pros: Expansion, record ratings & attendance.

Cons: Soon to be four lockouts. Potentially two full season lockouts ( Four in total), Coyotes debacle.

coolboarder

Mar 4, 2010
Maryland
Cool, so penalties are gonna be called for two weeks, then people (including owners) will start complaining about how the penalties are disrupting the game, and we'll be back to square one.

If it were up to me as a commissioner, I would fine the players and owners for complaining this publicly. It is ok to question the calls privately but not in public. Let the head office take care of the referee making calls. This will ensure that the safety is for all players involved. Also, every time they make a crackdown, other aspect of penalty calls suffer. It should be a crackdown on every penalty that is there in the rulebook and remove game management.

meenamjah

Apr 8, 2012
damn idiots can never do anything right. what about cross checking and boarding? not to mention it'll only take a month or two before everything's back to the same old ****.

CrashBartley

Nov 19, 2014
How about focusing on holding and interference? Or here is a novel idea, how about calling the rules that are in place and not arbitrarily put away your whistles.
Bing Bing Bing. We have a winner.
And make sure it extends into the playoffs.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
bettman.jpg

We're cracking down on slashes, but don't worry, obstruction, boarding, and general hanging off of star players will still be permitted. And of course we will continue to remove goals that are 1 mm off-side.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Good. As a fan of a team that had it's star player out with a broken finger from dozens of uncalled slashes it's about damn time.

How about cracking down on all penalties? Call the games like it says on the rulebook ffs

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
bettman.jpg

We're cracking down on slashes, but don't worry, obstruction, boarding, and general hanging off of star players will still be permitted. And of course we will continue to remove goals that are 1 mm off-side.

And along with the new jerseys will be the tutus that match.:sarcasm:

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
People will complain on the second night of the 17-18 season. I predict the thread title will be "Ridiculous calls ruining the game".

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Cool, so penalties are gonna be called for two weeks, then people (including owners) will start complaining about how the penalties are disrupting the game, and we'll be back to square one.

But aren't PPs generally more exciting? I love watching my team with a PP (as does everyone else) and even a PK is a more intense and rewarding to watch.

Pure skill involved.

ReggieDunlop8766

May 26, 2017
They're implementing this rule change in part to Crosby's hack and slash style, but he'll be immune to the rule change.

Wondered how long it would take the Crosby whining to surface. Watch a few pens games. See how much he is hacked and whacked. It's insane. Then everyone cries when he fights back LOL

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Yeah....wait until after the golden boy hacks his way to another Cup to start calling the penalty. This league is a farce.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Good. As someone else said, interference needs to be addressed next. It will fix many of the problems with the game.

Oh and game management. ****ing useless, but it'll never change. It's part of hockey culture.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
they should retroactively suspend Crosby for 50 games for what he did to Methot

JamestheSame

Apr 18, 2012
Why don't they crack down on make up calls?

How about crack down on ****** officiating.

Or maybe crack down on horrible replay review?

Bettman acting like the officials know what they are doing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad