Bettman: NHL wants to make another world cup, players Association seems to have no interest

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
I wish it was possible to make the World Cup something that isn't a watered-down Olympics, something that players would want to win as badly as a Stanley Cup or an Olympic gold. I just have no idea how to do that.
Well, for starters, it should definitely not be in AUGUST, when most of the players are still "hungover" from the summer and some are on skates for the first time in months. Not to mention risking injury just before the season starts. It's the worst possible time of the year to have a best-on-best attempt. It should either replace the All Stars weekend, be after the regular season ends (= non-playoff players are hungry to win at least something), or least optimally right before the Cup finals, so it's not too far away for the majority of players.

While there is no good place for it, I think right after the regular season would be the least worst choice.

But still, the Olympics would be my personal choice. 2-3 weeks in February, no questions. And once every 4 years makes it something special, so players have incentive to play, since you often only get 3, max 4 times in your career. Maybe a halfway point would be to always hold the Olympic Hockey events in North America, regardless of where the rest of the Olympics are held at.

Reactions: JBeast

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I think the Olympics are the way to go.. There's a ton of prestige and history involved. Players are in mid-season form. It's best on best. You get to represent your country and be part of the biggest sports event in the world. I feel like it's also refreshing to see something different to NHL hockey during the season.

What the owners think is not my concern, for the fans and players it's the best international tournament there is, period.

and a ton of graft, you can't talk anbout the IOC and not talk about all of that wonderful wonderful graft. I meand where else can you have citizenship of convenincece, meldonium flowing like a flood and secondary secret black doping labs ? What's not to like ?

so long as the players are contracted to the owners, what the owners think is the only thing that matters. you either convince the owners to allow it ( by giving them something) or you breach if you really really really want to go.

oh and in case anyone forgot, when the idea of participation came up, the owners said " sure if you extend the current CBA".

the PA never even brought it to a vote. tells you how much the PA really wants to participate.

jmichael7753

Sep 29, 2017
While I agreed with the decision to not go to the Olympics 100%, Bettman should have seen this coming from the PA.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
This is on the ioc, the owners won't take on all the risk to enrich some third party anymore. If the ioc doesn't let the owners wet their beaks, its done.

It's really not. NHL were asking for things that they were never going to get or things they should've been asking from the networks that have he broadcasting rights(video footage). Insurance money is something that always be worked around (IIHF/IOC, organizing country, China will probably agree to pay for it all), eventhough those costs will continue to boom the bigger the contracts become (that will be an issue for the World Cup as well).

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
The point is, if they really want the Olympics, then they should control it by not having signed contracts worth a fortune. They get injured at the Olympics they don't lose a dime. Owners are taking all the financial risk.

The owners already have a controlled market and get a break with the salary cap.

If the owners were really interested in the safety of the players they would have done something about the proliferation of concussions but that' a different topic altogether.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
While I agreed with the decision to not go to the Olympics 100%, Bettman should have seen this coming from the PA.

seen what from the PA ? The owners offered to allow participation in return for extending the current CBA. The PA never even considered it.

The important part is NOT whether the players " WANT" to go, its what they are willing to give up in order to go. Seeing as its less than 5% of the membeship who could go, asking the other 95% to make concessions so that the 5% ( who coincidentally are by far the best payed) get to do what they " want" is a very very hard sell.

Ovechkin " wanted" to go to the olympics. Good for him. But if it meant breaching AND being sanctioned by the league he HAD to take that into account. when that was done his choice was pretty clear.

It's really not. NHL were asking for things that they were never going to get or things they should've been asking from the networks that have he broadcasting rights(video footage). Insurance money is something that always be worked around (IIHF/IOC, organizing country, China will probably agree to pay for it all), eventhough those costs will continue to boom the bigger the contracts become (that will be an issue for the World Cup as well).

why ? what other organizartion ( other than the immoral NCAA) gets talent for free ? an organization which expressedly EXCLUDED professionals, then changed their charter to allow professionals ( to bring in the peepers) but with the intent of treating the pros like amateurs ( which they know they are not) and not paying the draw.

They ASKED for the ability to use olympic footage to promote the league, the IOC said NO. The players are contractually obligated. if the ioc will not pay the nhl, they can have as many besty of the never weres like last year.

razkaz

Oct 3, 2013
Hockey players want to play for a chance to get a gold medal, pretty simple stuff really

Reactions: VP

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Hockey players want to play for a chance to get a gold medal, pretty simple stuff really
and owners who pay the players millions want them to honor their contractual obligations.

which one you think carries more weight ? a passing fancy or a signed guaranteed contract ?

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
A vast majority of them won't play at the World Cup either. And the money would be irrelevant for them too.
Those that don't play don't have their season compacted (increasing fatigue/injury potential) like with the Olympics

Just like many players decline the Worlds, and cities around the World are declining the Olympics (11 cities in a row have voted against hosting the Olympics...there's only 2 cities left wanting the 2024 winter Olympics after 5 have dropped out), the players don't care enough about the Olympics to do anything about it but have a few players say a few nice words (but not do anything about it...Ovechkin choosing the NHL/Stanley Cup over Russia/the Olympics is a good example...the fact that hundreds of NHLers didn't speak out about missing the Olympics is another good example)

The popularity/value of the Olympics to the business of the NHL (players/owners both) is basically nil

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

razkaz

Oct 3, 2013

Saekk

Jul 25, 2017
World Cup is a total joke and will never reach the same tier in respect as Olympics.

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
World Cup is a total joke and will never reach the same tier in respect as Olympics.
I'm not a fan of the World Cup at all, but the Olympics are now known for corruption, drug cheats, and countries around the world not wanting them...looking not at the competitors and their performances as individuals, but at the Olympics themselves, there's very little to respect (and if you're not a fan of rabid nationalism/politics there's even less to respect)

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
Can all the people saying that NHL havent gained anything by the Olympics please show your numbers? I would bet not one of you can show any significant proof.

This is pretty well documented. The NHL cannot use any media that is related to the Olympics - no pictures, video, advertisement. How is the NHL supposed to grow when they cannot directly associate their players with the Olympics? Also, the last time NHL players were in the Olympics several players had season ending injuries. If the NHL is getting no revenue from the Olympics then why should they foot the salary insurance bill?

If you want anyone to blame for this mess you can blame the IOC.

Plenty of reasons for NHL to pass on Olympics

"While the IOC has reaped rewards from NHL participation, the NHL has not seen increases in ratings or sales. The NHL has been allowed to capture its Olympic moments in words only, not in video or images. No highlights of Sidney Crosby's golden goal for Canada against the United States in Vancouver. No highlights of T.J. Oshie's shootout heroics for the United States against Russia in Sochi. You name it, the NHL hasn't been able to show it. How does that help promote the League or grow the game?"

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Its time to advance our outlook and realize that the World Cup is the better route to go. The World Cup in soccer is way more important than the Olympics. No other major team sports cherishes the Olympics like we hockey fans do.

Lets keep the money within the NHL, its owners and players. It is better for the sport going forward. In time the World Cup will be no less exalting than the Olympics are now.

Given proper time to organize the event, I am sure the NHL will keep the tournament original and exclude the NA and Euro team. Players will want to win it just as bad for their country as they do the Olympics. It will be just as good of hockey and we will all get to see the best on best.

Obviously with the CBA coming up, the NHLPA is going to use this as a major bargaining chip. So just because players aren't coming forth with interest at this time, it does not mean the players don't actually have interest in this tournament.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
2022 is in China. The biggest potential revenue pool on the planet. The owners want Chinese interest. Bettman has a weak hand.

Keeptdos

May 1, 2011
Finland
When fans don't have interest then so do not the players. It's a bad product overall made for Americans. Just make 7 Canadian teams by their states and call it Canada cup, don't make it international.

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
I absolutely love best on best...The Canada Cups were legendary...Olympics Epic... and the first few World Cups were decent... but the last World Cup just felt like a Global All Star game...
Like it or not Garry it’s the Olympics or bust now...

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
Can all the people saying that NHL havent gained anything by the Olympics please show your numbers? I would bet not one of you can show any significant proof.
I think it should be those claiming there's a benefit showing their evidence

So there is interest only in the hosting country? Is that what you are saying? I mean, the international players have been increasing and we have seen steady growth in many countries such as Denmark and Switzerland.

The NHL makes more money now than it did before 1998 and have a lot more international following. Its not only to new countries, but to get a stronger presence in countries like Sweden and Finland as well.
So here you're saying the NHL has gained a stronger presence since 1998 because of the Olympics

Just because NHL stands as its best league doesnt mean that people notice. If they see a Ovechkin, Malkin or Crosby they see why they should watch the NHL instead of SHL.

Most fans in sweden still ONLY cares for SHL and wouldnt watch an NHL game. It still needs to be seen and talked about more for most people to care. The olympics is a prime time for talking about other stars than the Mollers, Joel Lundqvists etc
And here you're saying no one cares about the NHL...just above you were saying how the Olympics benefited the NHL/increased their presence

I don't see how you're helping your pro-Olympic argument pointing out that after 5 straight Olympics with NHLers, seeing "they should watch the NHL instead of SHL" as you put it...after all this time they think Joel Lundqvist Joel Lundqvist at eliteprospects.com is a "star" hockey player:facepalm:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: