Bettman: NHL wants to make another world cup, players Association seems to have no interest

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I refuse to make Bettman the villain in this.

Lack of participation in the olympics were on the players. NHL got absolutely nothing out of it. No growth in game, no surge in popularity.

Absolutely nothing.

Several teams got their star players injured. And the players and IOC both refused to pay for salary insurance.

Sorry this issue is on the players. Im happy with World Cup.

The players wanted the Olympics. The majority of the fans wanted the Olympics. Owners wanted the World Cup. Then turned into a joke.

The NHL is the villain here.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Lack of participation in the olympics were on the players. NHL got absolutely nothing out of it. No growth in game, no surge in popularity.

Absolutely nothing.

Several teams got their star players injured. And the players and IOC both refused to pay for salary insurance.

Thats because outside of Nagano the NHL in the Olympics era has typically been in a hockey market... I mean Torino may not be a hockey hotbed but at least its close enough to all the other European countries that have good hockey programs. 2018 would have been a good way to grow the game seeing as it was in South Korea.. 27th largest by population.

Players had a deal to extend the cba and then the nhl would let them go they didn't want to

It wasn't a great deal for them

JETZZZ

Oct 27, 2010
Winnipeg Manitoba
They are contracted, employees. Why should the owners risk them getting injured mid-season if they are unlikely to see any profit from it? Olympic Hockey has never created continued ratings or growth. At least with the World Cup, there is a profit incentive.
Id argue that having the worlds best athletes available at the Olympics for the past 20 years has only helped with growing the game but, yeah, your right it has not directly resulted in the IOC literally paying the NHL owners large sums of cash.
That being said, youd think somebody with the power would have stepped up and made it worth their while. NBC has the rights to show both the Olympics and NHL hockey. You think if they knew what they were doing they would have stepped in and said "Look. what can we do to make this work again?" Between them, the IIHF, the NHLPA, the fans, I just cant help but think there is a solution for those 31 people in the way.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

Absolutely nothing.

Yeah it's very important for growth in the game. That's why the NHL included two completely made up teams in their last World Cup instead of including two smaller European nations.

EDIT: Would also be pretty prudent of the NHL to send their players to the 2022 Beijing Olympics to get a foot in on the rapidly growing Chinese market. Would go a long way to "growing the game" they keep harping on about every time they expand into another American market.

Last edited:

lawrence

May 19, 2012
to be honest, I woulnd't mind it at all. best on best, not sure about the u23 thing.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Id argue that having the worlds best athletes available at the Olympics for the past 20 years has only helped with growing the game but, yeah, your right it has not directly resulted in the IOC literally paying the NHL owners large sums of cash.
That being said, youd think somebody with the power would have stepped up and made it worth their while. NBC has the rights to show both the Olympics and NHL hockey. You think if they knew what they were doing they would have stepped in and said "Look. what can we do to make this work again?" Between them, the IIHF, the NHLPA, the fans, I just cant help but think there is a solution for those 31 people in the way.
I'm pretty sure most studies have shown that any boost in Hockey viewership or attendance post-Olympic has proven to only be temporary and not long lasting.

I don't think the Olympic's matter significantly to NA viewers that it will impact viewership. People won't stop watching the NHL because they aren't at the Olympics, and it appears people who give it a chance post-Olympics don't tend to stay. The only other of the Big 4 sports to even go to the Olympic is basketball, and I think it has had a very minimal effect on the NBA in regards to viewership. Baseball never sent MLB players to the Olympics, and the NFL going to the Olympics would be a joke.

JETZZZ

Oct 27, 2010
Winnipeg Manitoba
I'm pretty sure most studies have shown that any boost in Hockey viewership or attendance post-Olympic has proven to only be temporary and not long lasting.

I don't think the Olympic's matter significantly to NA viewers that it will impact viewership. People won't stop watching the NHL because they aren't at the Olympics, and it appears people who give it a chance post-Olympics don't tend to stay. The only other of the Big 4 sports to even go to the Olympic is basketball, and I think it has had a very minimal effect on the NBA in regards to viewership. Baseball never sent MLB players to the Olympics, and the NFL going to the Olympics would be a joke.
Ha. I can imagine the American team going to the Olympics, getting off the plane, and then immediately awarded the gold as they are the only team there.

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
Can all the people saying that NHL havent gained anything by the Olympics please show your numbers? I would bet not one of you can show any significant proof.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
This is ridiculous. Who has to pay to insure these contracts. If they want to participate in the Olympics then they should stay amateurs.

Well I agree with the first part.

But as for the 2nd part the amatuer status was lost in the late 60's early 70's by the Soviets, in the case of hockey.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Well I agree with the first part.

But as for the 2nd part the amatuer status was lost in the late 60's early 70's by the Soviets, in the case of hockey.
The point is, if they really want the Olympics, then they should control it by not having signed contracts worth a fortune. They get injured at the Olympics they don't lose a dime. Owners are taking all the financial risk.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Can all the people saying that NHL havent gained anything by the Olympics please show your numbers? I would bet not one of you can show any significant proof.
Let me make this simple:

If there was any kind of boost or growth, you'd see NHLers there.

These are businessmen who run their businesses to make money. If this increased the value of their investment they would be there.

These are greedy money-grubbing owners who saw no short term or longterm gains.

Money talks, and there isn't any of it.

Reactions: nofehr

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Let me make this simple:

These are businessmen who run their businesses to make money. If this increased the value of their investment they would be there.

In the very least, there is no perceptible ratings bump for the NHL following the Olympics, based on previous years: As NHL considers future participation, ratings bump from Olympic hockey unlikely to come

So, I don't know what data you could show for either argument.

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
Let me make this simple:

So there is interest only in the hosting country? Is that what you are saying? I mean, the international players have been increasing and we have seen steady growth in many countries such as Denmark and Switzerland.

The NHL makes more money now than it did before 1998 and have a lot more international following. Its not only to new countries, but to get a stronger presence in countries like Sweden and Finland as well.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
So there is interest only in the hosting country? Is that what you are saying? I mean, the international players have been increasing and we have seen steady growth in many countries such as Denmark and Switzerland.

The NHL makes more money now than it did before 1998 and have a lot more international following. Its not only to new countries, but to get a stronger presence in countries like Sweden and Finland as well.
Make this case to the owners.

They seem to believe you're wrong.

Rich Nixon

Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne

Which is why they're doing preseason and regular season games in those countries. But that's the NHL product. It's not like there's any direct conduit that turns Olympic interest into NHL interest. It's not like Swedes and Finns are unaware hockey exists, or that the NHL stands as its best league, or that their countries produce incredible players who almost all play in that league.

If anything, hoarding those great players into the NHL and making it the only platform where you can see those dudes play makes more business sense for the league than sharing them, even for 3 weeks every 4 years. Exclusivity. The NHL has the best product, it doesn't want to share access to it for free.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Ehhh I don't know who I agree with
Players want to play Olympics and have all their needs paid for and not give up anything
Owners don't want to be left on the hook for all the risk and loss of business during peak of season. Team Europe and NA was terrible.
IIHF is just there to muddle everything up
IOC is a pile of corrupt garbage

I think greed all around has killed the appeal and "purity" of an international best on best competition.

Reactions: Amorgus and Nino33

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
Players had a deal to extend the cba and then the nhl would let them go they didn't want to
It wasn't a great deal for them
You really think the current deal is so bad it needs to be ended ASAP even if it means sacrificing the Olympics to do so?

I think Fehr didn't want to lose a bargaining chip, and sacrificed Olympic participation to keep it (and the players didn't care enough about the Olympics to do anything about it)

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
Which is why they're doing preseason and regular season games in those countries. But that's the NHL product. It's not like there's any direct conduit that turns Olympic interest into NHL interest. It's not like Swedes and Finns are unaware hockey exists, or that the NHL stands as its best league, or that their countries produce incredible players who almost all play in that league.

If anything, hoarding those great players into the NHL and making it the only platform where you can see those dudes play makes more business sense for the league than sharing them, even for 3 weeks every 4 years. Exclusivity. The NHL has the best product, it doesn't want to share access to it for free.

Just because NHL stands as its best league doesnt mean that people notice. If they see a Ovechkin, Malkin or Crosby they see why they should watch the NHL instead of SHL.

Most fans in sweden still ONLY cares for SHL and wouldnt watch an NHL game. It still needs to be seen and talked about more for most people to care. The olympics is a prime time for talking about other stars than the Mollers, Joel Lundqvists etc

Reactions: JBeast and Voight

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
I saw one of the World Cup games (Canada vs. Europe, preliminary round mind you) in Toronto and it honestly felt like watching a scrimmage between great players. I can't blame them, they all wanted to be at the Olympics where they'd take in the whole experience, opening ceremonies, meeting other athletes and of course playing for a gold medal. The WC provides none of that.

Those points are lost on the NHL which sees the WC as a marketing opportunity, not a real tournament. Unfortunately, the players and fans see it the same way.

Reactions: Kresnik

Rich Nixon

Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Just because NHL stands as its best league doesnt mean that people notice. If they see a Ovechkin, Malkin or Crosby they see why they should watch the NHL instead of SHL.

Most fans in sweden still ONLY cares for SHL and wouldnt watch an NHL game. It still needs to be seen and talked about more for most people to care. The olympics is a prime time for talking about other stars than the Mollers, Joel Lundqvists etc

But c'mon, it's not like people are unaware of Ovechkin or Crosby's existence. They can stay up all night for an NHL game or follow remotely, as clearly many do (evidenced here) if they wanted to or had the option to. I've seen a trillion car commercials and I'm not going to buy one of those cars because I don't have any money. If the NHL had a way to directly monetize it, they would and they'd be doing it.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00