Bettman comments @ ASG 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Traditionally, ron-GB has been the only meaningful interview we get from him each year. Anything else GB says is either pr speeches or softballs from reporters with no balls.

GB is sticking his finger up to all fans that care about the state of the league and the future of the league by denying this interview. I'm hardly ever critical of GB. I'm not one of those fans. I dont blame him for relocation. I think he's done an amazing job growing the league and growing the sport. I think he fully deserves his salary. But declining this interview pisses me off. Some people may say it's only an interview, but it's the only real interview he's been expected to do for years.

I guess I'm in the minority here. I do like that Ron is willing to play hardball with the guy, but it just disintegrates into the same thing every year - "Does Winnipeg have a team?", "When will Winnipeg have a team?", "Why doesn't Winnipeg have a team now?" .. Ron fully expects that he can get Gary to say - on camera, in the middle of the season - "Oh yeah, it's not looking good for X-Team, so get ready Winnipeg!". Even stupid people aren't that stupid.

There are so many things that I would love to hear Gary talk about in an interview as candid as the ASG interview. But so much time is wasted on this nonsense - think about it: if a GM is forbidden to confirm their pursuit of an impending free agent before July 1, how in hell could the commissioner be allowed to freely say in the middle of the season (or at any time for that matter) that a franchise might move, therefore torpedoing their season ticket, advertising/marketing and sponsorship efforts?

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Last edited:

David_99

Jan 16, 2005
Moncton, NB
Well that's the thing. It's a pointless exercise that only brings negativity and awkwardness to an already awkward All-Star game. Gary's job is to portray all that is positive about the league. He's a also lawyer. Does Ron think he'll actually give him some answers or slip up? There's undoubtedly numerous reasons for Gary not to spill any details from Phoenix or Atlanta. If Ron wants the answers he's looking for, he's barking up the wrong tree. He'd have better luck trying to interview some owners/governors known to have big mouths. They're smart business men but even they sometimes slip up.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
There's undoubtedly numerous reasons for Gary not to spill any details from Phoenix or Atlanta.

Ron's a player guy. I have always viewed the interviews over the years between them as PA and League and not just Ron & Gary.

I don't think that, if there was an interview today, it would be strictly limited to back and forths about PHX, ATL, & QC. I believe that, because of Ron's protectiveness of players, that the first segment could have easily have been spent on concussions and that was something (at least what I took from yesterday's SOTU) Gary's not prepared to deal with today.

With that said, that is not an advocacy or an excuse from me for him to skip the interview.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Like several other posters, I've felt MacLean makes himself look terrible in those interviews. I've often wondered if the tenor was set by his supervisors at CBC who want to pander to a group of viewers. Are they expecting Bettman to make any of the announcements they hope to hear?

If the NHL BoG decides to move a team or terminate the commissioner, it won't happen in an interview with Ron MacLean.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/nhl-considers-a-winnipeg-move/article1887720/

I think Bettman's ongoing public acknowledgements about Winnipeg are a sign that something is up. Previously, Bettman would evade such questions, and say that everything is optimistic. He would never even speak openly about the possibility of relocation. In his most recent comments, he seems to acknowledge a hint of concern, which leads me to believe that Winnipeg is a realistic option, and it is no longer a pipe dream.

AllByDesign

Who's this ABD guy??
Mar 17, 2010
Location, Location!
I'm in disagreement with the timbre of these posts. It is true that Maclean could round the rough edges of his knowledge if he intends to start a bull fight with the comissioner. What he does do is ask a tougher line of questioning, and as a result gets a better description in the answers from Bettman. Descriptions that are rarely ever achieved by more experienced journalists.

He harps on the business of the NHL, yes. I would think that the lack of this content from this years All-Star festivities would dissapoint the common readers of these threads. I consider myself to be of the group of people that are dissapointed.

btn

Gone Hollywood
Feb 27, 2002
ATL
Visit site
Ron's agent should thank whoever decided to cancel this annual debacle.

It is the same thing every year. Ron asks question, Gary answers question, Ron asks very similar question just louder, Gary gives almost same answer, Ron shuffles papers, starts to look agitated, asks very pointed question about something completely different even louder than previous questions.

CC Chiefs*

Like several other posters, I've felt MacLean makes himself look terrible in those interviews. I've often wondered if the tenor was set by his supervisors at CBC who want to pander to a group of viewers. Are they expecting Bettman to make any of the announcements they hope to hear?

If the NHL BoG decides to move a team or terminate the commissioner, it won't happen in an interview with Ron MacLean.

Expecting him to be truthful when asked questions. Remember the ol' there's not a problem in Phoenix speech only to find out months later there really was a HUGE problem.

As long as GB has his super majority he is the BoG's.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
BG was just on nhl net with some random chick reporter and Karmanos.

- blah blah blah carolina is awesome
- League doing well, best tv year ever
- Likes that versus and NBC will be run by the same guy, looks forward to the future (question was about tv contracts expiring and whether the nhl would stick with current arrangement or move to multiple networks).
- Softball about cba expiring, talked about how Fehr has a lot to learn because he's from another sport. Interesting.
- Karmanos refuses to answer "what his #1 priority in CBA discussions is", saying bettman would fine him.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
- Softball about cba expiring, talked about how Fehr has a lot to learn because he's from another sport. Interesting.

He just means that Fehr needs to get used to the different realities of hockey vs baseball, not that it was in any way more difficult or anything. Fehr himself acknowledged more or less the same thing and that's why they aren't actually discussing the CBA yet.

About the whole snub thing, one can't help but wonder if the league is serving ole Ron notice that it is quite aware of the difference in tone between Ron's interviews with Bettman and the one he did with Fehr. Perhaps this was a warning that if he is not going to treat both sides equally, then he will be cut out of the process entirely.

And, contrary to hater propaganda, Bettman has never lied in an interview.

:nod:

CC Chiefs*

He just means that Fehr needs to get used to the different realities of hockey vs baseball, not that it was in any way more difficult or anything. Fehr himself acknowledged more or less the same thing and that's why they aren't actually discussing the CBA yet.

About the whole snub thing, one can't help but wonder if the league is serving ole Ron notice that it is quite aware of the difference in tone between Ron's interviews with Bettman and the one he did with Fehr. Perhaps this was a warning that if he is not going to treat both sides equally, then he will be cut out of the process entirely.

And, contrary to hater propaganda, Bettman has never lied in an interview.

:nod:

How about misled and he is the most disingenuous person I've seen interviewed.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Something is obviously up with Bettman. By avoiding the annual interview, he's increasing speculation that something is up with Phoenix and/or Atlanta. Quite interesting that he won't talk to MacLean or Bob McCown, two of the biggest sports interviewers in Canada.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Expecting him to be truthful when asked questions. Remember the ol' there's not a problem in Phoenix speech only to find out months later there really was a HUGE problem.

As long as GB has his super majority he is the BoG's.

I don't know why you expect the truth from a lawyer in the first place. Secondly, most businesses keep their records private for a reason. What good would it do for Bettman to come out and say that Phoenix is drowning? That's not a sound business move whether or not it's true or false.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Ron just announced there will be no ron mclean-gary bettman interview at the ASG this year.

bummer.

usually a highlight of all-star weekend. Maybe it's the phoenix situation that he wants to avoid, or maybe he's fed up with this being one of the only times of the year he's forced to answer tough questions.

Agreed. Loved watching those interviews. Then again MacLean has dropped some huge bombshell questions to Bettman in those interviews over the years. The Minnesota ASG specifically.

DeathToAllButMetal

Let it all burn.
May 13, 2010
It's hard to believe anyone is defending Bettman here. You really think it's great that the NHL commissioner is ducking the CBC at the All-Star Game? One of the league's biggest media partners and a promoter of the league for over 50 years?

This is just another example of the moral bankruptcy of the NHL when it comes to dealing with Canadian fans. We provide the NHL with the money, the fanbase, and the passion that keeps this league alive, but the commissioner treats us like little more than ATMs.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Something is obviously up with Bettman. By avoiding the annual interview, he's increasing speculation that something is up with Phoenix and/or Atlanta. Quite interesting that he won't talk to MacLean or Bob McCown, two of the biggest sports interviewers in Canada.

Considering the lies that come from McCown's shows and Ron's annual I'm-going-to-hold-my-breath-and-stomp-my-feet-until-Winnipeg-gets-a-team nonsense, I wouldn't give those two the time of day either.

Remember the interview Ron did with the lady who took offense to the word 'pansification'? If you can keep your composure and be respectful towards that breed of stupidity, you can act like a grown-up for the commissioner of a professional sports league.

dkehler

Dec 1, 2009
Winnipeg
Considering the lies that come from McCown's shows and Ron's annual I'm-going-to-hold-my-breath-and-stomp-my-feet-until-Winnipeg-gets-a-team nonsense, I wouldn't give those two the time of day either.

Remember the interview Ron did with the lady who took offense to the word 'pansification'? If you can keep your composure and be respectful towards that breed of stupidity, you can act like a grown-up for the commissioner of a professional sports league.

Not sure what interviews you have been watching, but while Winnipeg has gotten a mention the last few years, lots of topics are discussed during these interviews. Just because Ron MacLean doesn't allow Bettman to blow him off with one of his pat answers all the time, hardly constitutes him stomping his feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia