higest revenues ever
cap going up next season
no teams are moving now or in the near to mid future

sound about right?

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
What do you think would happen if he announced a team moving for next season?

personally I would probably **** my pants
but the whole world of hockey would flip out and it would take attention away from his ASG
so if something like that would be stated it would happen any point between the end of the ASG and the start of the playoffs

CC Chiefs*

Mr. Disingenuous.

This is where he says there's no problem in Atlanta and years end the NHL owns them also. Sound familiar?

Last edited by a moderator:

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
What do you think would happen if he announced a team moving for next season?

News would spread like wildfire, causing people to tune in and ratings for the ASG would increase 5 fold for the 3rd period :laugh:

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Wow great announcement by the Globe.........."Live on Monday Feb 1st online"

wait let me guess:

league in best shape ever
higest revenues ever
cap going up next season
no teams are moving now or in the near to mid future

sound about right?
thanks King Woodballs

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Does the Globe and Mail ever have any good pictures of Bettman???? They try to make him look as evil as possible or like a idiot. This is just a childish way to treat him. The article was positive though.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Concussions: preliminary #s: up. Including via fighting, accidental/incidental head contact.

Phoenix: League has not been pursuing alternate/relocation ownership, although they now have the option after 12/31/10.

Dallas: League not financing team

Buffalo: "not yet near being done"

Getting to know Fehr; still very preliminary stage of learning, much before CBA negotiations.

US TV deal -- getting more streamlined with closure of merger.

Haven't even started to finalize much about WC, HG, Premiere.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
Ron just announced there will be no ron mclean-gary bettman interview at the ASG this year.

bummer.

usually a highlight of all-star weekend. Maybe it's the phoenix situation that he wants to avoid, or maybe he's fed up with this being one of the only times of the year he's forced to answer tough questions.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Ron just stated that Bettman wont be doing his annual meeting Ron tomorrow so the all star game doesnt get upstaged. Too bad.

It might actually represent a good sign for those of us hoping for the relocation of a franchise or two this coming season. If Bettman felt confident about the NHL's position, then he'd feel comfortable with smugly answering Ron's questions in an interview. Evidently, he doesn't at this time.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Did he mention the Atlanta situation?

Said Bettman: “My guess is this is another step in the journey for ownership trying to sort things out if they think they’ve been grieved by the lawyers representing them and will prosecute that case and collect any damages they are entitled to if the court finds in their favor.”

Bettman updated ownership issues in Phoenix, Dallas and Buffalo. He did not address the Thrashers until asked. He also reiterated the NHL’s stance that there are no plans to expand or relocate when asked about the prospects of Canadian cities Winnipeg and Quebec City getting a franchise.

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-thrashers-blog/2011/01/29/notes-bettman-has-something-to-say-about-latest-thrashers-lawsuit/?cxntfid=blogs_atlanta_thrashers_blog

It also says that Bettman had an interview with the AJC on Friday and declined to comment on the current litigation proceedings.

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007
Thank God, so sick of seeing Ron make an ass out of himself.

Yeah I know what you mean. Not lobbing softballs at him and refusing to accept idiotic beat around the bush answers makes Ron look so amateur.

It's funny that Bettman thinks Ron's questioning isn't appropriate and he should be celebrating the great game of hockey instead of talking business....but Bettman is worried that same style of interview will 'upstage' the game??

Bettman must have realized how much ammo Ron has and decided it is best to hide rather than deal with the onslaught of questions most fans in Canada (where the CBC is...that employs Ron MacLean) want answered.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
agree with above.

Traditionally, ron-GB has been the only meaningful interview we get from him each year. Anything else GB says is either pr speeches or softballs from reporters with no balls.

GB is sticking his finger up to all fans that care about the state of the league and the future of the league by denying this interview. I'm hardly ever critical of GB. I'm not one of those fans. I dont blame him for relocation. I think he's done an amazing job growing the league and growing the sport. I think he fully deserves his salary. But declining this interview pisses me off. Some people may say it's only an interview, but it's the only real interview he's been expected to do for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad