Better Safe Than Soaring

Grare

Registered Factor
Nov 15, 2013
If you're trading Duchene you're probably looking to get younger & cheaper. So I don't think Schenn fits in there. He's basically the same age as Duchene & a little cheaper while being a noticeable drop between the two in play. So the Flyers would probably have to do separate trades to clear space to bring in Duchene & at that point you're jumping through too many hoops.

Same age, little cheaper.. Schenn plays more physical which the west is always boasting about. I think if the Avs slump it becomes more likely hes moved.

Schenn + MDZ (half retained) for Duchene and ~ 1 millish cap dump is about even.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
if the Flyers are in contention for a playoff spot I really cant see Hextall dealing Streit at the deadline. We all know how bad he is but it doesnt send a good message to the room if you are dumping a veteran defenseman for a draft pick when you are fighting to get into the playoffs.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
if the Flyers are in contention for a playoff spot I really cant see Hextall dealing Streit at the deadline. We all know how bad he is but it doesnt send a good message to the room if you are dumping a veteran defenseman for a draft pick when you are fighting to get into the playoffs.

He did it with our best Dman two years ago...

We have 8 'NHL' Dmen on the roster. If Hextall can get a 2nd rounder for MDZ or Streit he will probably do it I think.

That being said I doubt both are traded... I think it will be only one of them and Schultz if someone wants him as insurance for play-offs.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
One great development in terms of Hakstol's personnel usage last game was that he used Konecny and Provorov in the rotation at 3v3 properly for the first time all season.

Which is nice. Let's hope it keeps up. Though Konecny needs to be more measured at 3v3, he has gave up possession too easily through bad angle shots and not making easy play in NZ so far in his NHL 3v3 career. He will learn though.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Same age, little cheaper.. Schenn plays more physical which the west is always boasting about. I think if the Avs slump it becomes more likely hes moved.

Schenn + MDZ (half retained) for Duchene and ~ 1 millish cap dump is about even.

They're not a good team with Duchene there now but they're going to get better with a good down grade in Schenn? Del Zotto is a pending UFA. He has no value in a deal like this.

If they trade Duchene they're hitting the reset button. That trade does nothing to help them there. If you want Duchene you're going to need to start with likely Sanheim & go from there to get Colorado's attention.

Grare

Registered Factor
Nov 15, 2013
They're not a good team with Duchene there now but they're going to get better with a good down grade in Schenn? Del Zotto is a pending UFA. He has no value in a deal like this.

If they trade Duchene they're hitting the reset button. That trade does nothing to help them there. If you want Duchene you're going to need to start with likely Sanheim & go from there to get Colorado's attention.

Youre probably right. If it doesnt sting on both sides its likely not a good purposal.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
He did it with our best Dman two years ago...

We have 8 'NHL' Dmen on the roster. If Hextall can get a 2nd rounder for MDZ or Streit he will probably do it I think.

That being said I doubt both are traded... I think it will be only one of them and Schultz if someone wants him as insurance for play-offs.

2 years ago was a different animal. that was a bad hockey club. they only won 33 games.
Unless this team really goes downhill fast i doubt they trade Streit or MDZ. Sure he could deal Schultz for a very late pick but I think that will be it honestly.
Besides Hextall likes carrying 8 NHL ready defenseman on the roster and I dont think he views any of the kids in LV as ready yet IMO

Grare

Registered Factor
Nov 15, 2013
2 years ago was a different animal. that was a bad hockey club. they only won 33 games.
Unless this team really goes downhill fast i doubt they trade Streit or MDZ. Sure he could deal Schultz for a very late pick but I think that will be it honestly.
Besides Hextall likes carrying 8 NHL ready defenseman on the roster and I dont think he views any of the kids in LV as ready yet IMO

For a team not viewed as cup contenders and our window opening possibly next season, I think the smart thing to do is get value for players that wont be apart of that.

Streit may be a veteren, but if we as fans think we have better options, how is trading him sending a bad message? You think the players dont notice his train wreck defense?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

But when they traded away Coburn and Timonen they were within touching distance, like 4pts out.

MDZ is sitting right now, Streit is on the 3rd pairing. Hextall has said previously in an ideal world they would be carrying 7 Dmen.

I don't think he would shy away from moving one of them and rolling:

Provorov -- Gudas
Manning -- Gostisbehere
MDZ/Streit -- MacDonald
Schultz

Going into final stretch.

In fact I think it is more likely Streit or MDZ is moved than Schultz. He may think with Schultz that what is the point in re-couping a ~5th-6th rounder and losing the extra depth.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Speaking of dman depth, if you read the last part of the 03-04 section of the Flyers at 50 book there's a good discussion of the merits of Clarke trading Wienrich and Therien that season. Apparently Bundy had fallen out hard with Hitch.

And I found out that Ragnarsson and Desjardins were almost ready to come back for game 7 against TB, but couldn't quite get medical clearance. But they would have been available for the Finals if the Flyers had won. The chapter is called something like: "It should have been us".

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
But when they traded away Coburn and Timonen they were within touching distance, like 4pts out.

MDZ is sitting right now, Streit is on the 3rd pairing. Hextall has said previously in an ideal world they would be carrying 7 Dmen.

I don't think he would shy away from moving one of them and rolling:

Provorov -- Gudas
Manning -- Gostisbehere
MDZ/Streit -- MacDonald
Schultz

Going into final stretch.

In fact I think it is more likely Streit or MDZ is moved than Schultz. He may think with Schultz that what is the point in re-couping a ~5th-6th rounder and losing the extra depth.

would we really consider that team a playoff contender tho? I dont know.
I think the difference between that team and this team is night and day honestly.
But anyway, really dont want to go back and think about that dreadful team.
I mean sure if a team calls and offers a 1st round pick or hell even a 2nd for Streit it would be tough to pass up. I just dont see it happening.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
Provorov's training wheels have basically been taken off. He's playing against top lines night in night out. Its getting time for another debut.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Speaking of dman depth, if you read the last part of the 03-04 section of the Flyers at 50 book there's a good discussion of the merits of Clarke trading Wienrich and Therien that season. Apparently Bundy had fallen out hard with Hitch.

And I found out that Ragnarsson and Desjardins were almost ready to come back for game 7 against TB, but couldn't quite get medical clearance. But they would have been available for the Finals if the Flyers had won. The chapter is called something like: "It should have been us".

**** me. That is excruciating.

We were the best team in the final 4 had we been healthy.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Yeah I think you're off on this.

Hextall cares more about the next 5 years than he does about a transition year.

He would absolutely jump at the chance to move a 39 year old declining UFA for a valuable asset. I think MDZ he would be more reluctant to move because I doubt he has even decide whether he is in the long-term plans yet or not.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Yeah I think you're off on this.

Hextall cares more about the next 5 years than he does about a transition year.

He would absolutely jump at the chance to move a 39 year old declining UFA for a valuable asset. I think MDZ he would be more reluctant to move because I doubt he has even decide whether he is in the long-term plans yet or not.

he probably would and I could be wrong. would another team be as desperate as Chicago was a couple years ago when they traded Timonen there? I dont know.
I admitted in my previous post that sure it could happen and I would deal him for a high pick. I just dont know if it happens again. I would be thrilled if it did.
I agree on MDZ. We all know he has had issues this year and he has seemingly regressed, but I still think Hextall might be willing to bet he can get himself straight and might hang onto him.
But I think I agree with Appleyard in that the Flyers will trade 1 of Streit or MDZ if the right deal comes along. not both.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Depends how Morin, Sanheim and Hagg are progressing.

One defensemen will be traded just because it's too hard to juggle 8 defensmen, I figure Streit because with Ghost and Provorov, he's no longer needed on the PP.

I agree with Appleyard that Hextall would probably value Schultz higher than a 5th or 6th round pick, but I think he'd be happy to pick up another 2nd or 3rd pick, or two of them - and if he thinks one of the kids are ready, Streit and MDZ could be both be traded, or even Manning.

Ghost, Gudas, Provorov are the untouchables, MacDonald the unmoveable.

MacDonald will start 40 games, after that, it depends on the kids, if they step up, he may get sent down.

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA

You're absolutely right here. I don't think we're realistic trade partners, although, Duchene is a guy that I think would be a perfect addition to the team based on age and skillset.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised to see Sanheim or Ghost traded for a young and talented forward in 2018 or so. This is obviously dependent upon the progression of the prospects, but I'd imagine that those two are the most likely candidates to be dealt in the future. By that point, Provorov is likely untouchable, Morin is your muscle who can put up tough minutes, and Myers is your big and versatile RHD. Gostisbehere and Sanheim could both have elevated values due to point production and should provide similar offensive output. If the team is in need of help in the top 6 to truly compete, I think one of them is out the door. In a perfect world, Hagg or Friedman develop well enough where they have useful trade value or Gudas maintains strong value. Realistically, I just can't see a future where we retain all of these guys. I'm really interested to see how this all plays out

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Last year we were out of the playoffs before the tdl and Hexy made no moves. Only thing he did was get rid of Schenn and Vinny midseason.

Grare

Registered Factor
Nov 15, 2013
Last year we were out of the playoffs before the tdl and Hexy made no moves. Only thing he did was get rid of Schenn and Vinny midseason.

We didnt have any expiring contracts with value to a contender worth moving

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
We didnt have any expiring contracts with value to a contender worth moving

I just question how much value do you can MDZ/Streit actually have? I mean If we want to get rid of them because they actively hurt us, what conteding team can we expect to view them as defensive upgrade then?

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
I just question how much value do you can MDZ/Streit actually have? I mean If we want to get rid of them because they actively hurt us, what conteding team can we expect to view them as defensive upgrade then?

Streit would be a guy who can come in and fill a PP2 role for a team that either needs some offensive influx or is filling a void caused by injury. That's likely going to be more of a time-sensitive thing at the deadline, similar to the Timonen deal. He won't have the same value but hopefully we could get a late 2nd because he is still putting up points.

Del Zotto is harder to read for me. I think he has value as a defenseman that he could slot in and play well for a contender. The problem is whether or not a team is valuing him as a 3-month rental or as a potential long-term player worth extending. I'd have to think he's got to be worth at least two mid-late second round picks, a la Timonen.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Roman Polak got 2 2nd rounders last year.....we can get 1 2nd rounder for each at a minimum. I expect a 2nd and 3rd-5th for each.

We have been waiting patiently on the young D to arrive and all indication points to Morin and Sanheim being right on target. Morin is better defensively than guys we are sending out now every night. So trading "vets" is no big deal when you are replacing them with better players.

This is our last deadline to be sellers. We have 3 UFA Dmen...take advantage and sell them off. Adding more picks to the 10 we already have next year gives us more bullets to fill holes before the ED. In a roundabout way, we could be trading Streit for a new 3rd line C.

Sell, sell, sell.

Oh....sell Belle and VDV too!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad