Better Safe Than Soaring

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
I love this idea, but would one of our typical HF bargain offers - i.e., Laughton, Hagg and a 2nd (for example) - be enough to get Karlsson or Namestnikov?

Maybe but at least a third of the league will have the same idea. Young centers and Dmen that can play 20 min a night and contribute are highly sought after. The bidding could get pricey.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'm just waiting for both of them to be extended at this point.

I'm confident that won't happen.

Check out these threads.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1846733&highlight=bellemare

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1920039&highlight=vandevelde

When both were signed 90% of people were happy with it. They had both done fine with their roles up to that point and signing them to super cheap contracts, and not needing to replace them, was just one less thing to worry about. The problem now is that they've been used FAR more than they should be and it's exposing them. We know they're 4th liners (or AHLers) but Hakstol is pretending they aren't. Hextall, on the other hand, has pretty much done everything we've wanted him to do since he become GM... fired Berube when we wanted him gone, made good signings that we thought we needed, gave good contracts to people we wanted to stick around, and got rid of people we hated.

I can also see why he's not forcing Hakstols hand and getting rid of them right now. We don't really have replacements, but even if we did Hextall probably doesn't want to overpower Hakstol because that would show a lack of support/trust in him.

Like I said, I'm confident this is their last year here and I'm not worried at all about them getting re-signed. I trust Hextall to not **** up.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I'm confident that won't happen.

Check out these threads.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1846733&highlight=bellemare

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1920039&highlight=vandevelde

When both were signed 90% of people were happy with it. They had both done fine with their roles up to that point and signing them to super cheap contracts, and not needing to replace them, was just one less thing to worry about. The problem now is that they've been used FAR more than they should be and it's exposing them. We know they're 4th liners (or AHLers) but Hakstol is pretending they aren't. Hextall, on the other hand, has pretty much done everything we've wanted him to do since he become GM, fired Berube when we wanted him gone, made good signings that we thought we needed, gave good contracts to people we wanted to stick around, and got rid of people we hated.

I can also see why he's not forcing Hakstols hand and getting rid of them right now. We don't really have replacements, but even if we did Hextall probably doesn't want to overpower Hakstol because that would show a lack of support/trust in him.

Like I said, I'm confident this is their last year here and I'm not worried at all about them getting re-signed. I trust Hextall.

I still like PEB, but VDV can go spit.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Maybe but at least a third of the league will have the same idea. Young centers and Dmen that can play 20 min a night and contribute are highly sought after. The bidding could get pricey.

But that is why expansion is an ideal time to try it for the Flyers

Because of the teams who do not already have a good 3C, most teams are already about losing players in expansion, and many don't have spare slots...

Usually there would be half the league in the bidding for those kind of guys... but there will probably be only ~5 teams with the combination of circumstance to make going after a Karlsson, Namestnikov, Lowry etc make sense.

The Flyers are in a situation where they are not exactly pressed for spots or worried about losing a real player in expansion. A lot of the teams that would normally be in on such players cannot be due to already having problems with protecting guys they actually have right now.

And teams for sure will know it... and also be aware of the fact that there will be quite a few moves prior to expansion, and if they try and hold out for more value they could be left at the dance with no partner and a lost asset.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I don't see spots for them here next season. Last year Umberger got more ice time than VdV is getting, and Hextall paid to remove him from the roster.

Laughton and Leier both lose their waiver exempt status after this season. If they aren't picked by Vegas, then they're going to be on the team next season.

Raffl-Giroux-Simmonds
Konecny-Couturier-Voracek
Lindblom-Schenn-Read/Weise
Leier-Cousins-Lyubimov
Laughton

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
But that is why expansion is an ideal time to try it for the Flyers

Because of the teams who do not already have a good 3C, most teams are already about losing players in expansion, and many don't have spare slots...

Usually there would be half the league in the bidding for those kind of guys... but there will probably be only ~5 teams with the combination of circumstance to make going after a Karlsson, Namestnikov, Lowry etc make sense.

The Flyers are in a situation where they are not exactly pressed for spots or worried about losing a real player in expansion. A lot of the teams that would normally be in on such players cannot be due to already having problems with protecting guys they actually have right now.

And teams for sure will know it... and also be aware of the fact that there will be quite a few moves prior to expansion, and if they try and hold out for more value they could be left at the dance with no partner and a lost asset.

I do believe this is the summer that Hextall has been waiting for to actual make some roster improvements outside of the bandaids he has been making. I expect him to not only try and acquire another forward but also a defenseman during the expansion draft trade fest likely to come.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The role they are in now is due to injuries and whatnot. I think Hakstol, even in his blind love, isn't stupid enough to use them like he is now with a fuller roster. But I also don't doubt he'd give them a sizable role no matter what. He can't help himself.

Our offseason was geared towards upgrading the bottom 6 because it was a disaster last year, spearheaded by using VDV-PEB-White as our 3rd line for half the year. And Hexy got Lyubimov, Weise, Gordon, then Konecny made the team bumping Schenn/Raffl down, then Leier is looking NHL ready for a role, Laughton is lurking somewhere.....and here we still are with PEB as 3C with 3 points in over 1/3 the season and the un-scratchable VDV as 4LW being promoted to 3LW with Meat Read's injury. And they are our top PKers despite two years of mediocrity there.

The **** did we upgrade? The same as it ever was. The same as it ever was.

It actually feels like our bottom 6 is WORSE this season and that falls squarely on Hakstol, because Hextall has given him better options. All these flavors, and Hakstol picks sour.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It's funny, even though VandeVelde has 5 goals in 28 games, I can honestly see him not scoring again the rest of the season.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I do believe this is the summer that Hextall has been waiting for to actual make some roster improvements outside of the bandaids he has been making. I expect him to not only try and acquire another forward but also a defenseman during the expansion draft trade fest likely to come.

Yeh. It would make sense... the Flyers are in a position where they really have a slot available at forward and at D as thing stand in terms of value:

Giroux, Voracek, Couturier, Simmonds, Schenn, Raffl
Gostisbehere, Gudas

which would leave:

Cousins, Laughton, Read, Weise
Manning, MacDonald

exposed... non have great value, and getting a forward and Dman in expansion shuffle we would be easily able to protect both and likely lose an asset of the same value they would lose anyway!

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Any interest in swapping Schenn for Dumba?

Personally, I would like to see us package Schenn and one of the ... let's call them "extraneous" defenseman and see if we can't get a center, or more of a return than Dumba, as good as he is. I'd like to have him, for sure, but I'd rather have picks for Hexy to play with or focus on forwards. I still believe he can trade AMac, somehow, some way, as Pollyanna-ish as that seems.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I'd imagine with any trade Minnesota is making they're going to want back assets that don't need to be protected in the ED. They have Parise, Koivu, & Pomminville with NMC's then Staal, Coyle, Granlund, Niederreiter, Zucker, & Haula upfront. They have Suter with a NMC. Then Spurgeon, Brodin, Scandella, & Dumba on the backend. They're probably in one of the worst positions around the league. They stand to lose a quality player unless changes are made.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I was thinking if they traded Dumba they could go 7 forwards, 3 dmen.

Scandella kinda sucks this year.

Grare

Registered Factor
Nov 15, 2013
My dream scenario is to somehow snag Duchene from the Avs. I know he fell out of favor, not sure whats going on there now.

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
My dream scenario is to somehow snag Duchene from the Avs. I know he fell out of favor, not sure whats going on there now.

That's the dream but I can't see it happening unfortunately. Being able to run G - Duchene - Couts down the middle is an elite set of centers. If you trade Schenn as one of the pieces going back, you're looking at Simmonds, Voracek, Konecny, Lindblom and Raffl as 5 of the 6 wingers for next year, which would be great. :popcorn: :popcorn:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

I have a feeling the Avs would want Couturier + back in that deal. I would be hesitant to do that.

I would do Schenn + something small though like Hagg. The Avs are getting the better longer contract back.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think it's simple, with Read and Couts out, do you match the Giroux line against the other team's best line and sacrifice your best offensive line (and Giroux isn't a great defensive center, nor is V a great defensive forward) or use PEB and hope high energy will slow down the opposing line while the G line gets a more favorable matchup.

Schenn and Cousins are simply bad matchups against offensive lines.

I can't imagine why Hakstol would trust VdV in a defensive role over Luby right now, I mean Luby has tons of NHL experience, oh, he doesn't? Same with Weise, he's big, pretty fast and experienced.

Luby and Leier will have to work their way into the coach's trust the way Provorov did, Konecky still is held back from tough matchups, but is gradually getting more responsibilities. You'd also want them with a more talented and more experienced center than Cousins, but who right now?

Laughton is an example of a physically talented player who isn't mentally ready for a significant role, everytime he's been handed that opportunity it's been a fail, or at best a "meh."

They are deeper, they just lost 2 of their top 9 forwards, that usually presents a matchup problem unless you're really deep. Next year guys like Leier and Luby will have some experience, Lindblom is a good bet to make the team. Depth is evolving.

As far as a deal, I doubt Hextall wants to take on salary, he's just getting out of cap hell and I think never wants to revisited that place. So we're talking Schenn (hope he gets 60 points) for a solid center or a young defenseman plus MacDonald's contract - and no big FA signings. He's not dumping Streit and Schultz and then picking up a $5M a year contract for 5 years and being cap constrained from now until eternity.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Latest on Duchene:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-still-odds-nhl-olympic-participation/

12. Colorado Avalanche GM Joe Sakic told The Denver Post’s Terry Frei he is not inclined to make changes despite a rough start.

“Not right now, no…changes are hard to do, especially this time of year. We’re two games under .500, but a four-game swing and you’re two games over .500 and right back in it.”

Colorado’s core (all signed long-term) is made up of Tyson Barrie, Matt Duchene, Erik Johnson (out 6-8 weeks with a broken fibula), Gabriel Landeskog, Nathan MacKinnon and Semyon Varlamov.

Varlamov’s hold on the net in tenuous, so he’s an obvious candidate when it is time. But who else?

The Avalanche are looking to add defencemen, not lose them. MacKinnon’s not going anywhere. That leaves Duchene/Landeskog, but one thing Colorado told clubs last summer was both men had great-value contracts, which increased the price.

Duchene has two more seasons at $6 million. Landeskog has four more years as $5.57 million, although the actual salary is higher. The team has about $17 million coming off the cap next summer (including Brad Stuart’s buyout), so I wonder if the organization prefers to see what it can add with that flexibility before tearing apart the core.

Grare

Registered Factor
Nov 15, 2013
For Duchene I would offer Schenn, 1st, Hagg/Friedman

Could possibly get a 1st for MDZ, & a 2nd for Streit at the deadline, so still able to have a strong draft. Duchene is an upgrade and MDZ may be gone anyways.

Edit: After reading they need defensemen

Schenn, MDZ (could retain) for Duchene + cap dump (expiring)

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

not at that contract.
I may think about a Schenn for Duchene swap but that would likely make the work to stay under the cap a bit more difficult.
I still think the Avs if they are dangling Duchene are going to look for defensive help. Something that makes the Flyers a bad match trade wise IMO

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
If you're trading Duchene you're probably looking to get younger & cheaper. So I don't think Schenn fits in there. He's basically the same age as Duchene & a little cheaper while being a noticeable drop between the two in play. So the Flyers would probably have to do separate trades to clear space to bring in Duchene & at that point you're jumping through too many hoops.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
For Duchene I would offer Schenn, 1st, Hagg/Friedman

Could possibly get a 1st for MDZ, & a 2nd for Streit at the deadline, so still able to have a strong draft. Duchene is an upgrade and MDZ may be gone anyways.

Edit: After reading they need defensemen

Schenn, MDZ (could retain) for Duchene + cap dump (expiring)

I doubt Hextall will be getting a 1st for Del Zotto or 2nd for Streit at this point. Regardless, I don't think this team is at the point to be moving 1st round picks. Over the next two seasons, there will likely be a bunch of turnover so they should see what they got before moving a first. That should be done with only one piece left to get IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $275.00