Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Carter, Matthews, Marchand, Tarasenko, Laine, Patches, Ovi

Homer vote to this guy ;):

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto
That's just your opinion. Not everybody named Tarasenko first. It is close in most people's mind, so yes, there is a debate.

Of course it's just my opinion and there is room for debate. It's just a saying. Is there a way to really prove with facts? Too many variables.

Instead of getting hung up on a saying why don't you actually add to the thread?

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Of course it's just my opinion and room for debate. It's just a saying. Is there a way to really prove with facts? Too many variables.

It comes down to preference when you compare the best among the best. Some guys are better when they're standing still, while others might have a better shot when skating full speed.

I think we've named almost all the best shooters in the NHL.

I'll name my guys if you want: Tarasenko, Ovechkin, Scheifele, Kucherov, Carter, Hoffman, Karlsson, Burns, Panarin, Matthews, Seguin, Stamkos, Laine, Eichel...

Brando

May 21, 2017
Carter always seemed to have the hardest, but not necessarily the best.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Yep... Tarasenko no debate

Laine has a great one too but he scores more while the goalie is not set. Tarasenko beats squared up goalies clean with ease. It's pretty scary.

Laine's is good but his release definitely isn't at Tarasenko's level yet. He could get there in a few years if he continues to improve. Laine's bread and butter is his slapper. Already over 100mph at 18 at the ASG. He should be able to add more strength over the years too which should in theory make his slapper even more potent.

That release, the speed, the accuracy. I don't think anyone in the league has that package in their wrister right now.

moose3322

Apr 3, 2007
Laine's is good but his release definitely isn't at Tarasenko's level yet. He could get there in a few years if he continues to improve. Laine's bread and butter is his slapper. Already over 100mph at 18 at the ASG. He should be able to add more strength over the years too which should in theory make his slapper even more potent.

That release, the speed, the accuracy. I don't think anyone in the league has that package in their wrister right now.

Yeah, certainly debatable though.
One thing I noticed though is that Laine seemed to shoot/score a lot more with his wrister than his slapper this year. At the draft I seemed to recall seeing a lot more that his slapper was his best shot attribute, but I feel like his wrist shot was his most potent weapon this year scoring most of his goals.

2 wrist shot goals:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Yeah, certainly debatable though.
One thing I noticed though is that Laine seemed to shoot/score a lot more with his wrister than his slapper this year. At the draft I seemed to recall seeing a lot more that his slapper was his best shot attribute, but I feel like his wrist shot was his most potent weapon this year scoring most of his goals.

2 wrist shot goals:

It is definitely a weapon but man when he blasts it, there's no seeing that puck if he gets all of it clean. His shot arsenal is pretty damn good either way. 100mph+ slapper and a fairly beastly wrist shot. I think Tarasenko's release+power combo is better right now. Laine needs to **** it back in order to get the power Tarasenko does. Tarasneko's quick release with the power he gets off is bar none right now IMO. Laine can get there though if he continues to work on it. Which is crazy to think about.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Sids is pretty good, no?

Also getzlaf has a heavy wrist shot. Doesn't use it very much though

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Laine has a great one too but he scores more while the goalie is not set.

He didn't acutely have that many one-timers last year. You can have wristers with the goaltender not set if you have a really good release, but that just another aspect of having a good wrist shot.

PuqTalk

I love Cogliano
Jun 24, 2012
Texas
I can't compare it to everyone else's fairly, but Getzlaf's is pretty absurd.

He's got wicked power and placement.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Post lock-out I think Semin had the best.

Currently in the NHL, the usual suspects would be Ovechkin, Tarasenko, Pacioretty, Hoffman, Laine, Neal, Seguin, Carter, Burns...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad