Best/Worst Trade Deadline Acquisitions

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Everyone the Penguins added between 08 and 09 was huge. Gill, Hossa, Dupuis, Guerin, Kunitz.

Brad May was an excellent locker room piece for the Ducks in 2007. So much so Burke took him to Toronto after he was hired.

Dom Moore was an unsung hero in running ECF appearances, even if he was bad for Buffalo. It's a shame Bergenheim went down in 2011, that duo had excellent chemistry.

Raffi Torres was just a trainwreck for the Sabres. He fell out of shape at the Olympic break (I guess round is a shape) and never got back into it.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
We got Perreault for a bag of peanuts, look up Perreaults stats thus far he is amazing fit for us.

nwaZ*

Is there any site that lists each general manager's trades?

jaems

Apr 16, 2006
Sami Pahlsson, Brian Rolston, Martin Grenier, and a 1st rounder for Dave Andreychuk and Raymond Bourque. The Avs didn't win the cup that year, but were able to re-sign Bourque and make it a mission to win a cup for him the following year.

Oilers traded a 1st round pick for goalie Dwayne Roloson. Rolocop backstops the Oilers almost to a Stanley Cup win before getting injured by one of his own players. Without him though, it's doubtful the Oilers would've gone to the Finals.

Leafs trade Larry Murphy to the Detroit Red Wings for future considerations. Murphy would be a major addition to the Wings and won two Stanley Cups, including the year in which he was traded.

Whalers trade Ron Francis, Ulf Samuelsson and Grant Jennings to the Penguins, in exchange for Jeff Parker, Zarley Zalapski, and John Cullen. Francis would lead one of the top second lines and Penguins would win the cup that year, and another the next.

Vancouver Canucks trade Alek Stojanov to Pittsburgh Penguins for impending free agent Markus Naslund.

Last edited:

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn
Worst was Gomez, letting Roy go and letting Lafleur go

you probably guessed the first :cry: are you guys interested in David Desharnais for Ryan MacDonut? PLEASE?

haha Yeah I didn't notice the "at the deadline" part at first either and automatically thought the Gomez trade. When I saw you were a Habs fan I had no doubts. I have to say in all honesty I got a lot of feels for you guys because that was a steal.

Yeah the Roy trade had to happen unfortunately, because he's one of the best. That whole situation was terrible the way it went down. I'm guessing Avs fans don't mind though.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Roloson in 2006. Sure he looked rough during the stretch, but we all know he was one of the primary reasons that the Oilers got to the cup.

Samsonov for a second rounder was pretty good too (even if that turned out to be Lucic)

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Worst: Kovalev to the Rangers for Mikael Samuelsson, Rico Fata, Joel Bouchard, Richard Lintner and cash. On the upside, there were also several other garbage contracts that were dumped on the Rangers like Mike Wilson and Samuelsson was used as a throw-in on the 2003 draft pick swap with Florida.

Honorable mention: Kovalev to the Penguins (a second time) in 2011 for a 7th rounder. That 7th rounder could have been used to fill the 3rd line in Wheeling. ;)

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA
For the Ducks, best was either Brad May or Lubomir Visnovsky. Worst was Ryan Whitney or Matthew Lombardi. We're not usually very active at the trade deadline.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Keith Tkachuk to the Thrashers, terrible trade.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
time will tell but I am loving the Nino - Clutter / 3rd trade.

great youth pick up for the Wild

I suppose in the excitement to crow about their team's great trades people are overlooking the thread title, which says trade deadline acquisitions.

The Habs usually don't do much at the deadline these days, usually because we're either just barely making or missing the playoffs when the deadline rolls around. The best selling move they did was trading Rivet to the Sharks for Gorges and a 1st (Pacioretty). The best buying move was probably giving up a 2nd for Dominic Moore, who bought himself permanent goodwill from the Canadiens' fanbase with the goal he scored against Washington in Game 7.

I don't think they've made any notably poor acquisitions...but the worst selling move was probably trading Huet to the Capitals and turning over the reins to Price while we were battling for 1st in the conference. Just too much too soon for Price.

Last edited:

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
After acquiring Peca and Pronger during the off-season after the lockout, the Oilers acquired Spacek, Samsonov, and Roloson near the trade deadline and the Oilers make it to Game 7 of the Stanley Cup. As bad as Kevin Lowe has been since then, he had a great 2005-06 season as GM.

Glen Sather snagged Kent Nilsson near the trade deadline for the Oilers Cup win in 1987. His talent really shone through those playoffs playing on a line with Anderson and Messier.

mkoivu9*

I suppose in the excitement to crow about their team's great trades people are overlooking the thread title, which says trade deadline acquisitions.

The Habs usually don't do much at the deadline. The best selling move they did was trading Rivet to the Sharks for Gorges and a 1st (Pacioretty). The best buying move was probably giving up a 2nd for Dominic Moore, who bought himself permanent goodwill from the Canadiens' fanbase with the goal he scored against Washington in Game 7.

I don't think they've made any notably poor acquisitions...but the worst selling move was probably trading Huet to the Capitals and turning over the reins to Price while we were battling for 1st in the conference. Just too much too soon for Price.
Pominville easily for the Wild

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad