Best/Worst Trade Deadline Acquisitions

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
Very small moves, but Vancouver getting Higgins/Lapierre at the deadline for cheap was huge.

Higgins has turned into a really valuable player for us.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
More recently
2011 Lapierre and Higgins

2000 Selling Mogilny for Morrison

Worst
2006 every move was awful
The Vancouver Canucks acquire defenseman Keith Carney and Juha Alen from the Anaheim Ducks for Brett Skinner and a 2006 2nd rounder

The Vancouver Canucks acquire defenseman Eric Weinrich the St. Louis Blues for Tomas Mojzis and a 2006 3rd rounder

The Vancouver Canucks acquire goaltender Mika Noronen from the Buffalo Sabres for a 2006 2nd rounder

The Vancouver Canucks acquire defenseman Sean Brown from the New Jersey Devils for a 2006 4th rounder

and then we missed the playoffs

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Worst in recent years for the Bruins has to be picking up Rolston and Mottau for free.

I'd say Kelly and Peverly for Wheeler, Stuart and a 2nd was pretty good too. They were huge for that run.

Kaberle too but to a lesser extent due to what the Bs gave up (Colbourne, 1st and 2nd

*edit* I didn't even read the first word of your post :facepalm:

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Bruins (in recent years)

Best: Kelly for a 2nd, and Stuart + Wheeler for Peverley + Valabik

Worst: Greg Zanon for Kampfer. Wasn't as big on Kampfer as some others were, but that Zanon-Corvo tandem in the 2012 playoffs was just... wow.

RJ8812*

I think it may have been a few weeks before it, but Philly getting Ville Leino was a good one

Labamba

Too Much 4 CDC
Feb 26, 2013
Shuswap
Iggy to Pitt was horrible on both sides, it's rare to find a trade that sucks for both sides, I actually can't think of another example.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Some of the worst:

Pens trades Markus Näslund to Canucks for Alex Stojanov

Rangers trade Ray Ferraro, Mattias Norström, Ian Laperriere and Nathan Lafayette to the Kings for Marty McSorley, Jari Kurri and Shane Churla.

Red Wings trades a 1st round pick to Tampa for Kyle Quincey.

Pens trades Glen Murray to the Kings for Eddie Olczyk.

Isles trades Chris Osgood to the Blues for Justin Papineau, Jeremy Colliton and Konstantin Barulin

Hawks owner Wirtz and GM Pulford tells reporters that they will honour the handshake agreement with Chelios and that he will play out his contract with Chicago. Few days later he is traded to their worst rival for Anders Eriksson and a couple of 1st rounders. :facepalm:

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
garth butcher + dan quinn --> geoff courtnall + cliff ronning + sergio momesso + robert dirk

petr nedved --> craig janney --> jeff brown + bret hedican + nathan lafayette

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
garth butcher + dan quinn --> geoff courtnall + cliff ronning + sergio momesso + robert dirk

petr nedved --> craig janney --> jeff brown + bret hedican + nathan lafayette

I'm not a Canucks fan, but I came here to post this.

I'd even add Robert Kron for Murray Craven to that list.

Adding Craven, Courtnall, Ronning and Momesso to the forwards group while strengthening the defense with Brown, Hedican and Dirk went a long way to making the Canucks into a solid contender in a short period of time.

It's every fan's dream to have their team's GM pull off successive moves that work out as well as these did. Hats off to Pat Quinn for completing these.:handclap:

albertGQ

Jul 1, 2005
Calgary
Iggy to Pitt was horrible on both sides, it's rare to find a trade that sucks for both sides, I actually can't think of another example.

Well, for the Flames, they still need to see how Klimchuk turns out before we can say it was bad for them

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Worst
2006 every move was awful
The Vancouver Canucks acquire defenseman Keith Carney and Juha Alen from the Anaheim Ducks for Brett Skinner and a 2006 2nd rounder

The Vancouver Canucks acquire defenseman Eric Weinrich the St. Louis Blues for Tomas Mojzis and a 2006 3rd rounder

The Vancouver Canucks acquire goaltender Mika Noronen from the Buffalo Sabres for a 2006 2nd rounder

The Vancouver Canucks acquire defenseman Sean Brown from the New Jersey Devils for a 2006 4th rounder

and then we missed the playoffs

2006 was the worst, as we didn't even make the playoffs. but brian burke's last stand in 2004 was pretty ugly too--

2004-Mar-09 Martin Rucinsky, traded from New York Rangers to Vancouver Canucks for Martin Grenier and R.J. Umberger

2004-Mar-09 Geoff Sanderson, traded from Columbus Blue Jackets to Vancouver Canucks for round 3 pick in the 2004 draft (Dan LaCosta)

2004-Mar-09 Marc Bergevin, traded from Pittsburgh Penguins to Vancouver Canucks for round 7 pick in the 2004 draft (Jordan Morrison)

(bonus: 2004-Jan-17 Jiri Slegr, traded from Vancouver Canucks to Boston Bruins for future considerations)

Dissonance

Feb 27, 2002
Cabbage Patch
Visit site
A few others that haven't been mentioned (in the "best" category):

1980--New York Islanders acquire Butch Goring from LA for Billy Harris and Dave Lewis. Dynasty ensues.

1988--St. Louis acquires Brett Hull for Rob Ramage and Rick Wamsley.

1991--Pittsburgh acquires Ron Francis and Ulf Samuelsson for John Cullen and Zarley Zalapski.

-----------

Edit--oops, one of those wasn't a deadline trade.

Last edited:

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I'm not a Canucks fan, but I came here to post this.

I'd even add Robert Kron for Murray Craven to that list.

Adding Craven, Courtnall, Ronning and Momesso to the forwards group while strengthening the defense with Brown, Hedican and Dirk went a long way to making the Canucks into a solid contender in a short period of time.

It's every fan's dream to have their team's GM pull off successive moves that work out as well as these did. Hats off to Pat Quinn for completing these.:handclap:

pat quinn was a deadline boss. brought in an entire second line one year, and an entire (overqualified) third d pairing three years later. or maybe st. louis was just that inept?

but yeah, the craven move was underrated; as i recall, craven was quietly in the top 20 in scoring at some point in the first half of the season, and kron was destined to be the same kind of whipping boy here that mason raymond became.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Petr Forsberg was an awesome talent but Nashville's deadline acquisition of him resulted in a first round 5-game bounce out of the playoiffs, and it cost them a 1st round pick, a 3rd round pick, Scottie Upshall and another NHLer. It was a waste. Hindsight is 20/20, and Forsberg performed well, but it made no difference other than weaken the franchise.

Dissonance

Feb 27, 2002
Cabbage Patch
Visit site
Actually, come to think of it, the 1998 trade deadline worked out brilliantly for Tampa Bay, although no one could have predicted it at the time.

The Lightning swapped first round picks with San Jose as part of a Bryan Marchment-Andrei Nazarov trade.

Then they got a third round pick from Calgary as part of the Jason Wiener-Sandy McCarthy trade.

Those two picks ended up being Vincent Lecavalier and Brad Richards.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Pominville for the Wild, easily the best. Chris Simon by far the worst for them.
Agreed on Pominville.

Simon was horribly disappointing, but only because he was the only Wild trade that day and we already had two enforcers on the team.

But if we are going actually disappointing within the trade itself, Leddy and Johnsson for Barker wins hands down.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Petr Forsberg was an awesome talent but Nashville's deadline acquisition of him resulted in a first round 5-game bounce out of the playoiffs, and it cost them a 1st round pick, a 3rd round pick, Scottie Upshall and another NHLer. It was a waste. Hindsight is 20/20, and Forsberg performed well, but it made no difference other than weaken the franchise.

They knew their window was closing with that group (Timonen/Hartnell as impending UFAs). I can't blame them for taking a stab at it by adding Forsberg. It wasn't like they were a playoff bubble team. They were a 110 point squad that had the third best record in the NHL. Unfortunately for them, Detroit happened to be a 113 point team in the same division which forced Nashville into a tough #4/#5 matchup against San Jose.

Upshall is a nice bottom six player but not exactly somebody I'd lose sleep over losing. Ryan Parent is the "another NHLer" who has been readily available on the waiver wire the past few years. Nashville got back the 1st rounder in exchange for the negotiating rights to Timonen/Hartnell and used it on Jon Blum who didn't pan out for them.

It was a trade which didn't work out, but I'd hardly call it a waste.

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
A few others that haven't been mentioned (in the "best" category):

1980--New York Islanders acquire Butch Goring from LA for Billy Harris and Dave Lewis. Dynasty ensues.

1988--St. Louis acquires Brett Hull for Rob Ramage and Rick Wamsley.

1991--Pittsburgh acquires Ron Francis and Ulf Samuelsson for John Cullen and Zarley Zalapski.

-----------

Edit--oops, one of those wasn't a deadline trade.

The Islanders trade for Goring is the best deadline deal of all time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad