Best True 2c in the League

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtlasRust

Jan 16, 2011
Yes it is.

Malkin, Zetterberg and Carter play in the 2c position and all of them are better than Bozak, Ennis and Ribero - Toronto, Buffalo and Nashville's #1Cs. If we take all the #1Cs and automatically assume they're 1 through 30, and then add in Malkin, Carter and Zetterberg in the equation as better overall centres than those 3, which they are, you end up with a #1 center in the #31 spot. So no, you don't get a #2C.

jdatb

Apr 29, 2014
Malkin, Zetterberg and Carter play in the 2c position and all of them are better than Bozak, Ennis and Ribero - Toronto, Buffalo and Nashville's #1Cs. If we take all the #1Cs and automatically assume they're 1 through 30, and then add in Malkin, Carter and Zetterberg in the equation as better overall centres than those 3, which they are, you end up with a #1 center in the #31 spot. So no, you don't get a #2C.

Yeah that's what I was thinking.

Insulin

Jan 23, 2013
Atlantic City

What is so difficult to understand that you need to exclude a player if a guy is playing 2C on his team, but he is better than most guys playing 1C on their team?

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Plekanec ought to be in the discussion. SJ doesn't really have one, as Thornton, Pavelski, Couture or Marleau are/could be legit 1st line centres.

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013
I don't understand your parameters..... I can't say Malkin, who is clearly a 2nd line C because he's too good? So it has to be someone that is better than every other 2nd line C, but not as good as the 30th best C in the league?

I'm gonna reject your silly rules and say Malkin. =)

So I guess the question is, who is the 31st best center in the league?

31 best,Like he said Malkin .Going against the rules and agree with him.:sarcasm:

AtlasRust

Jan 16, 2011
What is so difficult to understand that you need to exclude a player if a guy is playing 2C on his team, but he is better than most guys playing 1C on their team?

It's not difficult to understand, it just makes the conversation pointless.

AtlasRust

Jan 16, 2011
What you're really asking is "who's the 31st best center in the league?". Why even discuss this?

It's a dumb premise for a conversation. Malkin is the obvious answer but he's excluded because he's too good. Zetterberg and Carter are also excluded... but apparently Bergeron and Krejci aren't? I don't know the rules. But I know the answer, and it's Malkin.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
It depends on a persons list of True #1C's.

For me, my list of #1 C's right now would be as follows in no particular order

Duchene
Datsyuk
Malkin
Crosby
Stamkos
Tavares
Getzlaf
Krejci
Bergeron
Eric Staal
Seguin
Spezza
Kopitar
Thornton
Couture
Backstrom
Toews
Johansen
Giroux
Sedin
Carter

So, that would leave these guys as the top #2C's left IMO:

Koivu
Stastny
Mackinnon
Plekanec
Bozak
Stepan
Backes
Little

Of that group, IMO its between Little, Backes, and Plekanec for the best. With nod going to Plekanec.

EDIT: I forgot Kesler, who is arguably a #1C, but if he's not, then he's definitely the best #2C in the league.
I'd say you pretty much nailed it. Off the top of my head, no real big omissions except Tyler Johnson in the 2nd category. I'd arguably have him at the top of that group. Him or Plekanec for me.

The Wizard of Oz

Feb 24, 2013
Michigan
Did Zetterberg die or do you just think he sucks?

He's 32nd in faceoffs taken. If you consider Seguin a center with his 195 faceoffs, I'd say Zetterberg with his 504 should be considered one.
Around the league it seems to be general consensus that Z is a LW, I don't know why. I've always thought of him as a C even on Datsyuk's wing. Z and Datsyuk have been centering their own lines the majority of their careers. :huh:

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Evgeni Malkin is the second best player in the NHL. He's only a 2nd line center (or 2nd anything) on literally ONE team in the NHL and that happens to be the team that drafted him. It's the same way Suter was #2 on Nashville but a #1 on every other team but maybe 4-5.

I'll vote for Kesler. Everything I want in a 2nd line center, especially if my #1 is an offense-first, finesse player. After that, I'll go with Backes, Turris or Plekanec.

Karlsson2Turris*

It depends on a persons list of True #1C's.

For me, my list of #1 C's right now would be as follows in no particular order

Duchene
Datsyuk
Malkin
Crosby
Stamkos
Tavares
Getzlaf
Krejci
Bergeron
Eric Staal
Seguin
Spezza
Kopitar
Thornton
Couture
Backstrom
Toews
Johansen
Giroux
Sedin
Carter

So, that would leave these guys as the top #2C's left IMO:

Koivu
Stastny
Mackinnon
Plekanec
Bozak
Stepan
Backes
Little

Of that group, IMO its between Little, Backes, and Plekanec for the best. With nod going to Plekanec.

EDIT: I forgot Kesler, who is arguably a #1C, but if he's not, then he's definitely the best #2C in the league.

Turris is being criminally underrated in this thread.

WeeBey

Aug 7, 2009
montreal
It's a dumb premise for a conversation. Malkin is the obvious answer but he's excluded because he's too good. Zetterberg and Carter are also excluded... but apparently Bergeron and Krejci aren't? I don't know the rules. But I know the answer, and it's Malkin.

The question is basically "who is the best #2 C who would still be a #2 C on most other teams". Therefore, the answer is not Malkin. Not that complicated. No need to get all bent out of shape.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
He's played 2C his whole career.

That's incorrect. Apart from the extended stretches he's played as the #1C for the Pens in Crosby's stretches of absence, and apart from that, at times in the past, it has been hard to tell whether the Crosby line was always ahead of the Malkin line, Malkin has always had a role more indicative of his ability than the "#2C" label on the powerplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad