Best True 2c in the League

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtlasRust

Jan 16, 2011
The question is basically "who is the best #2 C who would still be a #2 C on most other teams". Therefore, the answer is not Malkin. Not that complicated. No need to get all bent out of shape.

I understand that, but it's still not a good question. Zetterberg would still be 2c on about 10 teams... does that make him too good to be in the running? Same with Carter? If not, then those guys are your answers.

AtlasRust

Jan 16, 2011
Evgeni Malkin is the second best player in the NHL. He's only a 2nd line center (or 2nd anything) on literally ONE team in the NHL and that happens to be the team that drafted him.

I know he's playing behind Crosby, and I know he's better than any other 2C in the league, but he still plays 2C.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spade

Resident Tool
Mar 12, 2014
Digging a Hole
Not all 1st line centers are true first line centers. Saying Malkin is a 2C is like saying Backlund or Stajan is a 1C. Just because they're deployed there due to team constraints doesn't mean they are truly fit for that position.

I gotta go with one of Kesler, Backes or Plekanec on this one. All of them are two-way beasts who can chip in offensively at a high level. If you have one of them and quality center depth, you're golden. If you have a number 1 C on top of that, regardless of whether he's elite or just very good, you're contending for the next few seasons.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Kesler. Hope he lasts and brings what he does (no diving though plz).

Why isn't this in the poll section anyway..?

AtlasRust

Jan 16, 2011
Not all 1st line centers are true first line centers. Saying Malkin is a 2C is like saying Backlund or Stajan is a 1C. Just because they're deployed there due to team constraints doesn't mean they are truly fit for that position.

I gotta go with one of Kesler, Backes or Plekanec on this one.

But Kesler would be a 1C on 10+ NHL teams... That's why this question doesn't make any sense. Putting parameters on who is included and who isn't makes it an impossible discussion. If Malkin isn't allowed because he's too good, then where is the talent cutoff? Zetterberg and Carter should run away with this if we don't include Malkin, but they'd be #1C on 15+ NHL teams.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Tyler Johnson.

But if you're looking for someone more proven, players like Krejci/Bergeron, Kesler, Koivu are all up there.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Its because we actually read the OP.

Kesler
Krejci
Couture
Bozak

If Malkin is ineligible because he's too good to be considered a true 2C, then how are the guys you mentioned above (minus Bozak) eligible? Krejci and Couture, in particular, are good enough to be 1C for a team.

The problem with the OP's question is it doesn't define the criteria enough. You either have to allow Malkin to be included if it's any player who currently plays 2C for their team, or you have to exclude any center who is good enough to be 1C but plays 2C because of their team's center depth.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Doing a quick check back, since 2008 the #30 point getter at center gets between 55-60 points a year.

So by this criteria, to qualify as a true #2 center your production should be below that..

Spade

Resident Tool
Mar 12, 2014
Digging a Hole
But Kesler would be a 1C on 10+ NHL teams... That's why this question doesn't make any sense. Putting parameters on who is included and who isn't makes it an impossible discussion. If Malkin isn't allowed because he's too good, then where is the talent cutoff? Zetterberg and Carter should run away with this if we don't include Malkin, but they'd be #1C on 15+ NHL teams.

Well he's definitely not a 1C on:

Pittsburgh
Anaheim
Chicago
Los Angeles
Dallas
Vancouver
Detroit
Tampa Bay
New York (Islanders)
Columbus
Philadelphia
Washington
San Jose
Boston
Carolina
Colorado

And then you have teams who it'd be arguable with like:

Winnipeg
Ottawa
St. Louis
Toronto
Montreal
Nashville
Minnesota
New York (Rangers)
Edmonton (and yes I'm being serious, we're ignoring the black hole that is the rest of the team and focusing on RNH)

And then you throw in the teams that have arguably 2 or more number 1 centers in Pittsburgh (Malkin), Detroit (Zetterberg), San Jose (Couture/Pavelski), Tampa Bay (Johnson), Los Angeles (Carter, although I personally feel he's a lower end guy and closer to a 2C than he is to an elite 1C), Boston (Krejci/Bergeron share the role), and Dallas (Seguin and Spezza, although Seguin is IMO more of a winger).

I think at best Kesler is only the 21st or 22nd best center in the league, and that's being fairly generous IMO (for me he's probably closer to 26th). So while he would indeed be a number 1 C on a fair number of teams (if the talent were spread evenly, which it isn't) he's not a guy who a perennially contending team would rely upon in that role.

That to me is what a top 2C is. A guy who could play a 1st line role on a weak team, but is ideally the 2C behind a top-20 caliber center like Logan Couture or Anze Kopitar. Yes Kesler COULD be a 1C, but excellent teams do not have Kesler as the focal point of their team's offense.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Kesler and Bergeron for me.

Bergeron is a top 10-15 centre in the league (he's arguably better than Krejci). Kesler at worst is in the mid 20s. Those guys aren't 2Cs even if they play on their teams 2nd line.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Inspired by the 3c thread, who do you consider as the best 2nd line centers in the NHL?

Players like Malkin who are 2nd liners in name only and arguably better than most 1c don't count!

Uhh, excuse me? Malkin is unarguably better than any 1c in the league besides Crosby.

WeeBey

Aug 7, 2009
montreal
I understand that, but it's still not a good question. Zetterberg would still be 2c on about 10 teams... does that make him too good to be in the running? Same with Carter? If not, then those guys are your answers.

10 out of 30 is not most.

Jackets Fan

Mar 28, 2014
Central Ohio
When I hear "best true #2 Center" Brandon Dubinsky comes to mind. Even with all the injuries, it's nice to have the 1-2 punch of Johansen and Dubinsky at Center. Having Dubi back finally really takes the pressure off of Johansen - which is something good #2 C's are underrated for; taking pressure off of their team's #1. You don't win a Cup without Center depth. CBJ haven't lost in regulation the 6 games Dubinsky has been back, so yeah...I'd vote for Dubi because of his importance and how underrated he is. He's a perfect two-way C.

Hertl

Fun Must Be Sometimes
Nov 15, 2010
so the question is who is the best center that isn't good enough to be a 1st line center for most teams

JS91

May 14, 2014
Tyler Johnson. Guy is good enough to be a #1C, but is always going to be behind Stamkos even if he plays better (like currently).

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
It depends on a persons list of True #1C's.

For me, my list of #1 C's right now would be as follows in no particular order

Duchene
Datsyuk
Malkin
Crosby
Stamkos
Tavares
Getzlaf
Krejci
Bergeron
Eric Staal
Seguin
Spezza
Kopitar
Thornton
Couture
Backstrom
Toews
Johansen
Giroux
Sedin
Carter

So, that would leave these guys as the top #2C's left IMO:

Koivu
Stastny
Mackinnon
Plekanec
Bozak
Stepan
Backes
Little

Of that group, IMO its between Little, Backes, and Plekanec for the best. With nod going to Plekanec.

EDIT: I forgot Kesler, who is arguably a #1C, but if he's not, then he's definitely the best #2C in the league.

How do you not include Turris in either of your lists?

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Well he's definitely not a 1C on:

And then you have teams who it'd be arguable with like:

Winnipeg
Ottawa
St. Louis
Toronto
Montreal
Nashville
Minnesota
New York (Rangers)
Edmonton (and yes I'm being serious, we're ignoring the black hole that is the rest of the team and focusing on RNH)

Kesler isn't a #1C on the Rangers.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Stay tuned for my next thread: "Who's the best NHL player that's not a really good NHL player?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad