Best three man combination for OT.

HispanicAtTheDisco

Oct 17, 2014
Ottawa, Ont.
Assuming that we go to 3v3 OT next year, what would be the best trio of guys to put on the ice?

We all know that Karlsson is the first guy on the ice when we need to win a game so it will be built around him. Now, the big question is, would you throw another defenseman on the ice to allow Karlsson to play his offensive game? Or would you pair him with two way forwards who are strong defensively?

I know EK has a very strong and underrated defensive game, but with that much space we know how dangerous he could be, so he would be all over the ice. Would putting a guy like Methot on the ice over a Stone/Hoffman/Ryan have a strong enough impact on Karlsson's offensive game to justify taking a forward off of the unit?

Which would you prefer?

Option 1
Turris
Karlsson
Methor

Or

Option 2
Turris
Stone
Karlsson

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
I assume we'll go with
Turris
Hoffman-Karlsson

hoffman and karlsson have the speed to get back when a rush fails.

2nd line could be something similar
Zibanejad
Wiercioch-Ryan

If limited to your two options, I go with Turris-Methot-Karlsson, and methot just hangs back.

HispanicAtTheDisco

Oct 17, 2014
Ottawa, Ont.
I assume we'll go with
Turris
Hoffman-Karlsson

hoffman and karlsson have the speed to get back when a rush fails.

If limited to your two options, I go with Turris-Methot-Karlsson, and methot just hangs back.

Not limited, just used the two highest scoring forwards, and the highest scoring forward with Methot because there are hundreds of combinations.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Karlsson + 2 forwards. Although he can't take a lot of risks because it's a long change.

Although after watching this, it's probably safer two run to dmen. So Karlsson + Methot (Methot has speed and can shoot if he has space)

Last edited:

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Anyone watch a some or a lot of 3 v3 ot? What do teams tend to use more? 2 forwards or 2 dmen?

WhiteLight*

Was at a Detroit game last year. It happened at the beginning of OT.

It was Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Kronwall vs Karlsson - Ceci - Turris

(I think the third guy was Turris). Anyway the point is 1-It was AWESOME to watch and 2-Our guys played it great, I was really impressed by Ceci.

Anyway, I think we should go the 2 forward route.

Turris - MacArthur - Karlsson
Zibanejad - Stone - Ceci
Hoffman - Pageau - Wiercioch

Repeat.

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
Turris - Karlsson - Hoffman

Zibanejad - Stone - Wiercioch

Lots of options. Ryan could slot in there.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
I feel like this change is really good for the team that has Erik Karlsson on it.

Karlsson Turris Stone to me sounds like the best combo. Turris has wheels and defensive skills to get back.

In the AHL this year did most teams tend to go with 1F2D or 2F1D?

Greening-Smith-Neil.

GSN - The secret weapon.

200_s.gif

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I assume it will be one offensive defenceman, one defensive defenceman & one fast forward.

1. Karlsson, Methot & Zibanejad
2. Ceci, Boroweicki & Turris
3. Wiercioch, Methot & Hoffman
4. Karlsson, MacArthur & Stone
5. Ceci, Boroweicki, Pageau

Last edited:

Ttracer*

Whoever still has gas in the tank

karlsson, Lazar, pageau
#2 Clarke, legwand, Stone

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Ceci is definitely the second defenceman I throw out there, although my preference like others is for EK65 to never leave the ice...

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
I assume it will be one offensive defenceman, one defensive defenceman & one fast forward.

I'm not sure about the defensive d-man.
I'm picturing this to have zero structure, just be total insanity on the ice back and forth. You'll need guys who can move the puck and transition more than guy who can shut it down. Methot can do both OK so he's a good option.

I love this rule change - what a great idea.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Faceoffs will be really important. Zibby better work on it if he wants to get icetime.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa

You want to win by being the aggressor, if you defend you will loose, two forwards one D.

Hoffman, Turris , Karlsson
Zib, Stone, Ceci

Game is over in 90 seconds. Could go either way

*Why would you have Boro on the ice at 3 vs3? :help:

Rysto

Oct 3, 2009
The badlands
Boro and Gryba never touched the ice at 4-on-4 in OT down the stretch, and we played a lot of OT. I can't imagine either of them playing 3-on-3.

Also, while Hoffman is speedy his defensive game is not very good. We didn't seem to use him much at 4-on-4 so I'm not sure that we would play him 3-on-3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad