Best three man combination for OT.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think the criteria for selecting 3:3 players should be:

1. Speed so as not to allow odd man rushes by the opponent, and to generate odd man rushes for the team.
2. Sound defensive skill to defend when opponent has the puck
3. Strong puck possession skills to maintain greater control of the puck and time with the puck.

For those reasons I would prefer the following players:

Turris, MacArthur, Karlsson
Pageau, Lazar, Ceci (and sometimes Hoffman)

Backups :

Zibanejad, Michalek, Methot

Must sit are:

Legwand, Smith, Phillips, Cowen, Wiercioch, Ryan, Neil, Chiasson, Gryba, Borowiecki

HispanicAtTheDisco

Oct 17, 2014
Ottawa, Ont.

1. Speed so as not to allow odd man rushes by the opponent, and to generate odd man rushes for the team.
3. Strong puck possession skills to maintain greater control of the puck and time with the puck.

Backups :

Must sit are:

Legwand, Smith, Phillips, Cowen, Wiercioch, Ryan, Neil, Chiasson, Gryba, Borowiecki

Can't say I agree with Ryan being a must sit, he is good in the offensive zone and would excel with space to get his shot off, not to mention he is okay in the defensive zone.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Can't say I agree with Ryan being a must sit, he is good in the offensive zone and would excel with space to get his shot off, not to mention he is okay in the defensive zone.

In hindsight, I suppose it was a little too harsh, so a backup is acceptable. Same for Stone who I missed.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
yeah, ryan has shown a willingness and ability to get back quickly to defend this season. Exactly what's needed 3-on-3.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

Backups :

Must sit are:

Speed and transition is what is going to win the 3 on 3 for sure.

1. Turris, Mac, Karlsson

2. Zib, Hoffman, Ceci

3. Pageau, Michalek, Methot

Guys that are slow are not needed for this. Ya Bobby is a good player, but do you really want to see him on the ice when McDavid gets the puck and storms down the ice blowing past him? Not me.

Speed trumps skill for this one by a hair. Michalek isn't ideal in my mind, but not sure who else you can put in there if you run with 3 lines so to speak. Maybe Lazar, Stone is pretty slow but he makes up so much with hockey sense so he might be a guy here.

Really excited to see Karlsson and Hoff for this one. Their speed is off the charts and going to be fun to watch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad